• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Keith

Uncle Keith

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Full Name:Keith Hartley, aka Keithman, Keithers, Hot Rod, Rocket Man. Uncle Keith is my favorite alias tho'!

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

This is my first finished model kit (1/16 Revell CJ-7 Renegade) in longer than I can remember. I built this kit just to see if I could still competently build a model. I kept it simple, box stock. Left the body in the molded color and brush painted the details. Didn't even clean up the mold lines.

I learned that I have shaky hands. Makes detailing a challenge. I was steadying my hand with my fingers braced like a pinstriper and lots of concentration. I also used my magnifier a lot. Older eyes.

I also found that this is not a very good kit. There are unused holes in the body. The windshield is supposed to lay down on the hood. After installation of the wipers that doesn't happen and when the sideview mirrors are installed, the problem is compounded even more. The chrome was lousy. Large areas unplated. The wheels were the only decent chrome. Part fitment wasn't bad.

I learned some lessons. Which was my purpose in this build. The next will be much better. It will probably be awhile before I'm to the level of some I've seen here. But I think, with time and guidance from you all, I'll improve. I have fairly thick skin, so if there is something you see that needs improvement or a suggestion, don't be bashful.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

All in all, I'm pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for lookin' at my build. I truly appreciate it!

Have A Great Day!!!

#2 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:08 AM

Looks good, Nice work and welcome back to building.

#3 scale trucker

scale trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:gordon berry

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:14 AM

nice ;;;'.and welcome..

#4 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:05 AM

That's a very credible 'first in a long time' build, Keith! Nothing to be bashful about, it looks good.

Welcome back to the hobby! It was a pleasure meeting you at the swap meet. Don't be a stranger.

B)

#5 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:25 AM

Hey Keith.... Looking good buddy. Now time for a large scale funny car or dragster ;) . Look forward to seeing more of your builds

#6 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

Plain, simple, tasteful. I wish I'd see more models like this.