#41 Rick Schmidt

Rick Schmidt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:29 AM

Sadly, these car suffer from too shallow of wheelwells, both front and rear. The 1:1 cars can swallow up 20"x10" fronts, and the rears have seen 22"x12". Their scale brethren, however, cannot even swallow the stock wheels well, let alone aftermarket sets (I:E.....Pegasus, Aoshima, Fujimi) without massive surgery to do so. Lowering only complicates this matter more. I am still working on a proper fix for the fronts, but the rears have proven to be do-able with a razor-saw, #11 Exacto, and some styrene surgery/relocation/addition.

Bradley is so right about this. I had to do some modding to my KR to get its wheels under it after lowering it to a more acceptable ride height. But oh well we learn these tricks an are able to use em on future builds. I've learned exactly how to lower these cars and it appears the same trick works on the '10 hehehe

#42 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Full Name:Michael R. Siesicki

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

OK, so since I was invited to join this CBP, I'll try to catch everyone up with my WIP that I have going in the On The Workbench section. I am starting with the Revell '07 Shelby GT500 kit.
Posted Image
I'll be using a set of Pegasus 225/45/18 tires in place of the kit tires and Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red paint.
Posted Image
The body is painted.
Posted Image
The engine is complete and installed in the chassis.
Posted Image
A shot of the completed chassis.
Posted Image

More to come...

#43 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Yes, the Revell 1/25th scale 2010 GT500 is in shops now, along with the 1/12th scale. The 1/25th scale will have a red GT500 on the box art. I saw the box art car at Toledo NNL, and it looks the same as in the box photo. I snagged one last week when I was in HobbyTown USA.

The chassis is different from the 05-09 units, but is a mimic of the '10 GT.

#44 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

A shot of the interior under construction.
Posted Image
After I took this picture, I decided that I didn't like the shift knob, so I'll change the shifter.
Posted Image

More to come...

#45 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

Mike: Hello old friend,long time no'see'! Build's looking FANTASTIC (as usual coming fromyour bench :) ). I LOVE those in red! We saw one filling up earlier today on the way back from the LHS (no longer local since we moved,but been going there over a decade and it's a local owned gig I like to support),we were filling up at the pump behind him-he in his '09 GT500,,us in our '94 GT Ragtop (both red,BTW)...it just felt too cool,LOL! Can't waitto see more on this one :D

PS: Where can one order those Pegasus tires? As we all know,the ones in the kits are kinda...crappy and out of scale\profile. Thanks :)

Bradley: Thanks for the info,I didn't know it was even coming (the '10 GT500 in the smaller scale),looking at it on Model Roundup now. I picked that lay away up today. The kits relevant to this CBP are a '10 GT,'05 GT,and the GT500 and GT500KR kits. There was a Bullitt in there,but thinking I had one at home already (I have the GTH kit already,thought I had the Bullitt too),I swapped it out for a Mobious Hudson,LOL! Whoops! :blink: :lol: Except for the '10 GT,which wasn't out before the hose fire,I had at least one of each of these,sigh.

I'll be trying to order these two I'm missing hopefully soon. Any word on when\if they'll do an updated '11 with the Coyote 5.0L,or a Boss 302? Those would be killer (and presumably simple for Revell) updates,IMHO! I'd still love to see a modified '99 SVT into a GT or (even better) MACH I too though,LOL!

Since I've been enjoying a really good spell with my ailments,it's really hard to get me off the bicycles (knowing a bad spell puts me off them ompletely and is always a "could happen any time"),so I haven't been working on anything lately,but with several new kits,I'm feeling anxious again,LOL! :P

Edited by Olskoolrodder, 05 November 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#46 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

PS: Where can one order those Pegasus tires? As we all know,the ones in the kits are kinda...crappy and out of scale\profile. Thanks :)

Hi Stephen! I hope that you are riding high with good health for a good while! I get my Pegasus tires from Scale Dreams.
http://stores.scaled.../StoreFront.bok

#47 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

No word on the Coyote variant yet; don't think they will until they have exhausted the other options. With that said, look to December/January for the 2010 GT Convertible snap kit.I know, Groan...a snapper...big deal. Well, Revell has cast the hood for the snapper separately (read: able to swap the full-detail underpinnings/drivetrain into the snap kit) and it is along the same lines as the rest of the '10 kits.

Also, Mike is right; scaledreams (Rick) is a great source for Pegasus wheels, and he is a good guy to deal with as well.

Good to hear you got a 'Stang stash built back up Stephen, and I am sure we will be seeing them soon!

#48 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

A little more progress. I replaced the shifter with a better one.
Posted Image
And, the interior is done.
Posted Image
I started working on the air filter and airtube. I still need to make an open airbox.
Posted Image
More to come...

#49 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Mike and Bradley: Thanks for the tip on the tires :) The kit supplied ones...kinda suck,LOL! Good news on the ragtop kit coming too! I'll have to score another '10 GT donor for a full detail ragtop,and a second ragtop for Nick (my 9 year old) to snap fast (pun intended..."Snap-Fast_plus",get it? :rolleyes: :P ).

I sold a Kicker "isoberic subwoofer enclosure" (if I didn't mispell) I had taken in trade for that Blazer's cowl induction hood I had kept after church this morning,so I ran to Hobbytown this afternoon,picked up the '10 GT500 (1:25,not the big one,which I doubt I'll build) and '08 Bullitt,so (until December\January anyways) I once again have a complete set o the '06 and up. I'm knee deep in the detailing a snapper replica of a formerly owned 1:1 car for a (timed) CBP elsewhere (and I'm actually working on it,LOL),but that one shouldn't take too long,I can't wait to get on one of these. The only one of the lot I've previously built was the '06 GT,and that was back in '06...been to long (and since I've lost steam in the pair of SN95's on the bench for now...).

Mike,liking that shifter much better :D

So here's what I scored in the last 48 hours (already had the '06-?- Shelby GTH)...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Olskoolrodder, 06 November 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#50 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hey guys, I havent been on here much the last few days, me and the almost wife and baby have been not feeling good, pluse having things to do. I have not done alot on the 2010 Gt, I did do one more wet coat, so now its ready for the clear coats, but it got really windy and had rain so waited for it to warm a but again.

I am going to pick up the GT500 KR version this week, and I am going to order the 2010 Shelby that just came out as well soon.

Mike- glad to see you posted your work , nice work so far.
olskool, well I would say you have kits for this build now :lol:

I want to make sure the list of who is doing what is up to date, so let me know if its correct

#51 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:59 AM

Stephen, good looking haul, man. If I can be of any help, just ask (well, you know that from the FOX/SN95 threads). I too have a few SNs I need to get finished.

Mike, liking the GT500 and what you are doing with it!

I confess to having several S197s going; I started a Bullitt conversion to a 2006 kit even before the 08' Bullitt was released, an 08' bullitt with a swapped GT500 drivetrain, a 2010 GT with a swapped GT500 powertrain, and now the 2010 GT500. Guess I might want to get moving on those too, huh? (along with my 40 FOXes and the 4-5 SN95s!)

#52 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

LOL,you're as bad as I am,Bradley! :P I'm HORRIBLE at getting going on something,then something new and shiny (figuratively speaking) catches my eye and then.... :lol:

Question,I see on that link to Scale Dreams (I think I've bought some detail items there in the past,BTW,good place) that they have several different sizes in Pegasus tires. Is the 225/45/18" version the end-all-be-all replacements for the lot of these kits? If not,anybody have a list of which tires fits which kit's stock wheels? I'm probaly going for a series of factory stocks (or as close as my skill allows,anyways) for my first build through each (excepting the '06 GT,I've already built one back in '06 ;) ).

Also,my memory isn't good enough to recall and my stash of Scale Auto mag (as well as Model Cars) was pretty much wiped by the fire dept when they doused the house to put out the fire...I remember there being an article on the GT500KR buildup,and in it tey gave a good example on lowering these cars to a more accurate (or lower) stance. So what would be a fairly repeatable\simple technique (from the article or your own experience)?

Thanks,guys. I still have to clear the WIP of at least one before I get going,but that will happen I promise :P

Edited by Olskoolrodder, 07 November 2011 - 05:41 AM.

#53 Rick Schmidt

Rick Schmidt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

Stephen the method I use to lower these cars is pretty simple. Up front ya remove the rounded nubs the K member attaches too down to the arm that supports the motor. This raises the k member and such up closer to the engine and lowers the car. Then ya simply cut the strut to the new height and put it in. Works great since the wheels attach to the K. Out back ya simply cut the rear springs on the axle. Now is where it gets tricky. Theres a piece just above the diff that gets in the way. I grind that piece out. Then ya just gotta clearance the area around the drive shaft a bit. When i get home this evening I'll look i think i already started modding a chassis so I'll take a pic of the critical areas. Another trick i do go help these cars is on the GTs i replace the kit tires with tires from an AMT 05 Chrysler 300.

#54 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

And the funny thing with the Chrylser kit is those tires are too small, I think am going to use those tires on my 10 instead of the pegasus tires , and save the pegasus tires for 2010 gt500 when I get it.

#55 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

I remember reading that the tires from the (AMT) Fast and Furious Supra (all varients) fit those wheels too,food for thought (I have one set of those unmelted...I had bought 3 of those kits previously just for those tires-was going to let my son build the cars-but most of em melted,LOL!). I'll use those on the first one I build,and get Santa (ie: my wife) to spring for a few sets of those Pegasus ones for Christmas.

Rick,it would be awesome (and very much appreciated) to see pics of what you're talking about...I'm sure I'll 'get it' when it's in front of me,but it will be a week or three before I get to it. If you could get those up here,they might help someone else as well.

Let me go into my Photobucket,see if any pics are saved of my build from '06 (was my second buildafter getting 'back into' building). I had buttloads of build and WIP pics of my builds on the old PC,but (do I need to say it?) it melted in the fire,LOL!

Edited by Olskoolrodder, 07 November 2011 - 01:37 PM.

#56 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

Ahhh yes,here they are-they ARE in the P-Bucket. It was build completely box stock,and was actually the first kit sold (of the run) when first released at my LHS from then,LOL!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's still in piece,but pretty much gone never-the-less,melted jst enough to be obvious. S'alright though,I have another to build and I'll do it better ;)

Sorry for the funky sized pics,it's what's in the album apparently :P

Edited by Olskoolrodder, 07 November 2011 - 01:43 PM.

#57 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

I figured I would help out as well, here are the mods that I made on the 2010 and the same as on the 07 gt500,
Posted Image
Posted Image
and here is the wheel in the tire from the Chrysler 300 kit
Posted Image

#58 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

While I am at it , here is a small update, I decided to give flocking a try( second time)
Posted Image

#59 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

Stephen, the tires you have listed (225/45-18) are the ones that most guys use to replace the kit tires. Also, for a SERIOUSLY thin sidewall, I will use the 19" Ultra Low Profile tires and stretch them to fit the various rims. Nice '06 BumbleBee GT by the way.

The article showed taking 1/16th" off both the front and rear springs to lower the car an appropriate amount.

Jonathan, thanks for showing us what you did for the ride height. Rick has a good way to do it as well!

#60 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

I think I did pretty much everything Rick did, I have not done the front yet, but i am going to try his way on this build vs the way I did on last.