#1 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Andrukaitis

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

I was thinking about doing a build of the "Sox and Sinclair Service 63 Impala, and then decided to build the mystery motor 427 car instead. I am using a MCW resin kit, and a Revell 2 in 1 kit mostly for the chassis, dash, etc. Decals are from Lucas. I have an old Revell 427 Yenko engine lying around that will be built, and used to resemble the 427 in the real car. So far I gave it Bleech White bath, and started mocking up the wheels, and tires, interior with the roll bar. I should be getting everything in primer, in the next day or two. I am taking my last vacation for the year from my job next week, and I plan on getting a lot done on it.

Posted Image

Edited by Brutalform, 19 October 2011 - 11:05 AM.

#2 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

Here is the kit after soaking. I also got a set of headers, and intake for the Z-11's from MCW.

Posted Image

#3 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

Then a quick mock up of the rims and tires. Just a little sanding with the Dremel on the rear wheel wells to fit the larger slicks.

Posted Image

#4 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

I added a roll bar from a Revell Thunderbird I had lying around. Just have to lengthen the main hoop bars so they actually touch the floors.

Posted Image

#5 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Here is a better pic or two.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Here is the nice decals that I bought from Lucas Decals. I should be priming and sanding soon!!

Posted Image

#7 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

Oh I like the way this one is looking. Keep it going. Hope to see more progress soon.

#8 BHarrison

BHarrison

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Harrison

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

This is a cool project. I am planning on one of the 63 Biscaynes for a future project. Yours will be very nice looks like!

#9 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

Thanks guys....Here is a bit of info on this car.

http://www.superchev..._427/index.html

Edited by Brutalform, 19 October 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#10 noname

noname

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

This is an awesome looking car. If you don't mind me saying, I would tuck the rear tire up in the wheel well just a little more. Compare your mock up with 1:1 car. Great project.

#11 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

Great project and want to see more.

#12 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:27 AM

This is awesome project! X-Frame Chevrolets are my favorites and especially when they are Stockers or Super Stockers or other Nostalgic Drag Racers. Stance looks great, can't wait to see more...

#13 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

This is an awesome looking car. If you don't mind me saying, I would tuck the rear tire up in the wheel well just a little more. Compare your mock up with 1:1 car. Great project.

Yea Matt, I was actually thinking the same thing. I was playing around with the wheels for a bit, and I think I will take the tops of the rear wheel tubs off and get it to sit a bit lower.

Actually, I wanted to go with these wider rims (pic) all together. This is the Impala body I used for mock up, while the resin was soaking. The rears would fit, but the fronts would stick out no matter how much I sanded the wheel backs down. It just did not look right, but they WOULD look MUCH more like the rims on the 1:1 car. I even planned on adding the rim screws in the rears. On the Impala mock up, the fronts are just sitting there with NO backs. I dunno....maybe I can do some thing with these wider rims on the front, so I can use them as I had planned.

Attached Files

Edited by Brutalform, 20 October 2011 - 06:07 AM.

#14 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

Played around with the rims I wanted to use to begin with. Did not hack the wheel tubs, but sanded down the rear perches a bit. For the front, after using two short metal axles in the kingpins, and sanding the wheel backs real thin, its all looking better now, I think. The wider rims look WAY better...IMO.

Posted Image

#15 John Pol

John Pol

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Full Name:John Pol

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

Nice job so far where did you get those rims?

John Pol

#16 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Nice job so far where did you get those rims?

John Pol

Thanks!! The rims are from "Scenes Unlimited"...on Ebay.

#17 noname

noname

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

Don't forget to make sure the front sits right too. Where this is a newer car I'm not sure how it is suppose to sit. The pictures in the link give an idea but the angle is hard to tell. When I saw the last picture of your build, it looked a little higher in the back. Cars of this era usually sat higher in the front. Of course I'm not really sure how the 1:1 car sits. Not trying to pick, just trying to help. It's your build, do it how you like and have fun. Feel free to ignore my suggestions. :D

#18 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the link to that article Tom, I'd love to see that beast run in person! Looks like you're off to a great start on this one, are you going to try to replicate the interior too?

#19 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

Don't forget to make sure the front sits right too. Where this is a newer car I'm not sure how it is suppose to sit. The pictures in the link give an idea but the angle is hard to tell. When I saw the last picture of your build, it looked a little higher in the back. Cars of this era usually sat higher in the front. Of course I'm not really sure how the 1:1 car sits. Not trying to pick, just trying to help. It's your build, do it how you like and have fun. Feel free to ignore my suggestions. :D

I found another pic of the car. Trying to get it to sit like it is in this pic. I know most of the early sixties drag cars sat high. I even have some resin parts lying around with the front suspension pieces for that mod.

Posted Image

From what I gather, the current owner must have had this car restored, with a different engine, and possibly changed the way it sat in the front. I do think this is a 'tribute" car, now that it is no longer original. If anyone knows ANYTHING about this car, they can chime in. When I saw a pic of it on Lucas Decals' site, I really wanted to build it. Actually I was thinking of another 63 as well, but decided to do this one.

#20 Brutalform

Brutalform

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the link to that article Tom, I'd love to see that beast run in person! Looks like you're off to a great start on this one, are you going to try to replicate the interior too?

Yes Mike. Except the roll bar will be "slightly" different. I already removed the radio, and knobs from the dash, that will be replaced with a "biscayne" decal, just like the 1:1 cars interior. I still have to dig up some red seat belt material. I would like to find a plain jane steering wheel as well, as I only have the, fancy, Impala wheel, now. I just might be out of luck on that one though!

Edited by Brutalform, 21 October 2011 - 10:13 AM.