#61 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear, but that it's still going forward in some fashion is a good thing.

I do hope updates will continue to come.

Charlie Larkin

#62 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

If we don't expect much, we won't be so disappointed.

#63 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Hopefully this will continue, and maybe, just maybe it will infuse some funds into Johan allowing Okie to come up with some more of Johan's ancient molds, Or reverse engineer them at least.
Good luck with who ever has or is taking this venture over. I am curious what that legal road block was however and wonder if Okie hasn't been battling it all this time?
Paul

#64 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

I'd venture to guess licensing is probably one of the bigger hurdles. Even though these are older tools, I'm sure the manufacturers want their share of the profits before any kits are ever sold.

#65 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

I am curious what that legal road block was however and wonder if Okie hasn't been battling it all this time?

I suspect his issue is money. From everything I've read, he sounds like a "go it alone" type guy, who doesn't have the money to invest in the molding, mold repair, and raw material supply to actually make any new kits from whatever tooling he may possess. I am pretty sure he made and sold resin cast interiors for the '55 Plymouth (Pontiac?), which leads me to believe he doesn't have the ability to make any new injection molded kits nor part with whatever molds he owns.

While it would be nice, just for curiosity's sake, what he doe have an in what condition it is in, I suspect we would be a bit disappointed to hear/read the truth...and some just don't want to give up on the dream that JoHan will rise from the ashes and be a player in the injection molded kit business again.

#66 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I suspect his issue is money. From everything I've read, he sounds like a "go it alone" type guy, who doesn't have the money to invest in the molding, mold repair, and raw material supply to actually make any new kits from whatever tooling he may possess. I am pretty sure he made and sold resin cast interiors for the '55 Plymouth (Pontiac?), which leads me to believe he doesn't have the ability to make any new injection molded kits nor part with whatever molds he owns.

While it would be nice, just for curiosity's sake, what he doe have an in what condition it is in, I suspect we would be a bit disappointed to hear/read the truth...and some just don't want to give up on the dream that JoHan will rise from the ashes and be a player in the injection molded kit business again.

I can't speak for Okey but I can give you some figures and you can do your own math ...... Licensing agreements start at about $10,000. Tooling to replace a set of missing wheel backs was $3000. Total repairs and replacement tooling for the '59 Rambler SW exceeded $30,000. All new tooling for a car kit is typically over $100,000 that's if done overseas. The total investment in IMC was well over the cost of a new tool.

Here's some more math to consider, say the production cost is $10.00 a kit, how many kits do you have sell before you get your money back on a new tool, yet make a profit ? Now you know why the average Joe insn't in the Plastic Model Kit business.

Steve

#67 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,897 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Anybody going to iHobby? If you do, you have to stop at the Tag Team Hobby/Iwata Airbrush booth and say to Tom Grossman for me.

#68 badcaditude

badcaditude

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Maerz

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Okay, who do I have to kill to get some of these?

#69 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

Okay, who do I have to kill to get some of these?

Despite the fact these three kits or on hiatus for now, earlier versions can still be found on eBay and other sources without too much trouble. The Olds is ridiculously easy to find in mint condition as a promo.