454 replies to this topic

#221 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hmm. Actually, that does bring up an interesting question - bearing in mind the oil pan pretty much has to be done as two pieces, and the simplest way is probably the same longitudinal split you see in the one molded to the block, what would you have preferred?

A separate two-piece oil pan? Or molded to the block as it is?

Anybody pipe in who wants, I'm just too lazy to make a poll.   B)

Think of the finned Cobra oil pan in some the Monogram '65/6 Shelby GT350 kits. The "sump" area is a separate piece, but when put together with the upper piece, the completed oil pan is far from convincing IMHO.

The trans looks good, though.  :)

#222 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,453 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

One thing's for certain...if the amount of speculation and commentary on this kit is anything to go by, Revell has winner on their hands. Though there are things I'm not hog-wild about, I'll be having a few.

I'd also have preferred to see a separate oil pan, but I'd prefer the whole engine to be made like the old Parts Pack version as well...separate everything. The draft-angle issue is indeed a problem and precludes a one-piece pan.

#223 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Yup.  I think they could do a one-piece upper, closed on the front half, open and flaring out on the back half (as the GT350 piece didn't particularly do) to accept a separate sump pan - but it seems like that would call for a pretty convoluted mold, likely too much so at this price point.

#224 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Separate oil pan - easier to paint and modify. It's also nicer when the sprue attachment points are on top, since you never see that on the built model. Still, very cool parts.

Weird about the amount of flash on the transmission - looks like an MPC kit ;)

I am going to buy this kit. Probably three.

#225 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Best thing....well...Revells doing a great job. Despite the funky chops on the 48 Ford and the 49 Merc, theyre great kits. Then comes that wonderful 32 5 window, and now this. Were lucky guys, even taking into account all the errors us traditional guys get obsessed about. 

#226 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Funny you should bring up; all the errors the traditional guys get obsessed about. Granted the original car

, Stacey David's "Rat Roaster" has an I beam front axle, but traditionally rodders of yore were looking for the smooth look obtained by using the "Tube" axle found under a'60 powered flathead '36 Ford.

As for tradition, things often change, i.e. the venerable flattie, up until the late fifty's the darling of the hot rod crowd. Then , probably the early fifty's some went looking for more power. Remember "If some is good, and more is better, then Too much should be just about right." thus the OHV engines, 303 Olds, Pontiac, yes even a Studebaker V-8. But then along came the little Chevrolet 265 V-8. Cheep, power to weight numbers were up there too, and just about every after market company was on the band wagon.and with the help of a company called Wil-Cap you could bolt up just about any combination you could think of.

So I don't think Revell did so  bad.

#227 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Chad took and posted pics of the kit's contents in his OTW topic here: http://www.modelcars...showtopic=69796

#228 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,326 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

O lordy, lordy, please stay tuned in for the unboxing review I did for THE CRANKY SHOW on YOUTUBE.

I am amazed at the level of detail and quality, not only to the interior, and some of the body parts like the fenders, but those wheels make the kit really worth it.  The decal sheet is nothing to scream about.

But the guitar is!

Check out the kit contents!

Unboxing the Rat Roaster

Edited by Harry P., 24 January 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#229 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Sitting here eating some pork and waiting with all respect to Doctor Cranky for another fine unavailing  No, we are not calling it a Rat but a Rat Roaster, not "roadster" but, "Roaster" as in, This mouse is going to roast you up and eat you for dinner all you Rats!   Can't wait to get my hands on one, thank you Doctor Cranky.    :rolleyes:

Edited by rmvw guy, 24 January 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#230 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

I can see why some would pass.  Seeing as how Revell cut entirely new steel for this, I think they blew an opportunity not only to nail the subject but to create some really compelling parts fodder when they went wide of the mark on the axles.

The wheel and tire package alone sells it to me, but I gotta wonder if a proper beam axle up front would have been a tipping point the other way for some who'll skip it.

#231 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Yes, I am aware that Mr. David is calling it a ROASTER.  It took my ear just a little bit to get used to that.  LOL.

The video is almost finished.  I will post the link to it above.

Stay tuned in.

My take on this kit is that OVER TIME people are really going to praise this kit for all the options (along with the other Revell 32s) that will be available.

#232 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I am having fun waiting in anticipation but, my pork is gone!  I want some eye candy for desert.   :lol:  

#233 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Just did.  I think I'll pass on this kit.

Same here, there is nothing about this kit that excites me . Then again, 'and even though I really do appreciate the fact the street rods guys tend to drive there creations more so than most of the old car culture in general'

Myself,  I have zero interest in building street rods . And I've yet to see anything in this kit that makes me want to run out and buy a $20 +  parts kits.

Is it really that much better than the numerous  other  32 Ford kits that have been avail over the years?

my 2 cents only btw.

But I will take all your lobster tails and shimp though,,,,.

Edited by gtx6970, 24 January 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#234 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Buy in it Just for the tires. And another to build.

#235 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

I can see why some would pass.  Seeing as how Revell cut entirely new steel for this, I think they blew an opportunity not only to nail the subject but to create some really compelling parts fodder when they went wide of the mark on the axles.

The wheel and tire package alone sells it to me, but I gotta wonder if a proper beam axle up front would have been a tipping point the other way for some who'll skip it.

Same here, there is nothing about this kit that excites me . ...

Is it really that much better than the numerous  other  32 Fod kits that have been avail over the years?

This was my earlier point about the chance to begin a "Mk. II" iteration of this venerable series. My guess is that this version will show strong initial sales (as it already seems to be doing) but sales will soften quickly. It's not a Dan Fink Speedwagon, it renews the roadster body form afterall, but it seems to have been the victim of a lot of conceptual infighting - the chance to add details from the 1:1 that would have created a heightened level of excitement in the marketplace has been missed. After all, just how many Rat Roaster replicas are out there to build? And even at that level the kit may prove to be a disappointment, given that many of the details are handled via the decal sheet. Can you say "cost control"?

Edited by Bernard Kron, 24 January 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#236 hvymtl

hvymtl

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Smith

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thank you for this lil slice of heaven nice dessert for after lunch today. Your Crankiness again thanks made my work day more enjoyable . Michael

#237 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,973 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Here's a look inside the box:

Rat Roaster video

#238 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Thanks, Harry.

I wonder, if GREG MYERS would mind putting it as part of the #1 post?  Thank you.

I hope others will post pictures of the parts they love, and also videos, if you have a YOUTUBE channel.

The more glimpses the better.

#239 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Xavier

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Another revell let down:/

#240 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

well... with all the other versions of this 32 maybe RM will see fit to come up with a accurate vintage version. Cross you fingers on that one.