#81 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Assuming that the digital design files for the tooling still exist ( a pretty reasonable assumption) it wouldn't take a small team of competent people much time at all to modify said file, convert it to CNC instructions, and mill new tooling, like it says, "based on Revell's very nice '32 Ford". These are detail changes and don't necessitate re-measuring an entire '32 Ford. That approach WOULD NOT necessitate ANY changes to the existing tooling.

Has anybody here ever worked in CAD and seen how FAST you can rework something in it? And has anyone ever watched a 5-axis CNC mill go to town on a part? This ain't like building the space shuttle.

It is literally a few weeks worth of work for a competent crew. What's the big hold up?

#82 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

It is literally a few weeks worth of work for a competent crew. What's the big hold up?

A '50 Oldsmobile, '57 Ford, '62 Corvette, along with the modified reissues (adding the plow to the Chevy 4x4, tooling back a GMC grill to the tow truck), etc. Plus all the tooling for the stuff that will be announced at iHobby in October. It's not like this '32 is the only thing Revell is working on at any one time.

Edited by niteowl7710, 14 August 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#83 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,768 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Has anybody here ever worked in CAD and seen how FAST you can rework something in it? And has anyone ever watched a 5-axis CNC mill go to town on a part? This ain't like building the space shuttle.

Watch all parts of this series:

#84 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

That video makes the simple one piece resin molds some of us try look pretty prehistoric! I know a ton of work goes into designing a kit, let's hope the Rat Roaster stays true to the 1:1 version.

#85 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

That was cool to watch. :rolleyes:

#86 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Incredible!!! No wide front tires on the Deuce!!! In fact it looks like the wheels and tires from the Orange Crate re-issue. Look's like the standard Deuce front axle and disc brakes, though. I wonder if it has air bags? Still, no wide front tires, a SBC, trim on the grill shell, body color headlight buckets, and is that a chopped windshield (??). Overall, this may be a well balanced refresh of the venerable 90's street rod roadster.

Posted Image

#87 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Incredible!!! No wide front tires on the Deuce!!! In fact it looks like the wheels and tires from the Orange Crate re-issue.

I don't think they are the same as those in the Orange Crate, but rather all new tires all around. The Orange Crate's front tires have only three grooves, while the Rat Roaster's appear to have four.

#88 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

If they stayed true to the how the Rat Roaster is built, it should have a triangulated 4 link w/coil overs. It should also have a TKO 5 speed manual, instead of the automatic transmissions that have been in the prior '32 Ford kits.

#89 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Here's the built up Stacey David Rat Roadster or whatever it's called ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More details on the Revell stuff later ....... If your modeling budget isn't already blown for all of next year just check out what's next .....

#90 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Plus a guitar!!! Cowabunga!

B)

#91 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Oh lord that looks so beautiful I want to cry.

#92 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

i was bracing for the worst but thats actually a really nice kit

#93 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

I don't think they are the same as those in the Orange Crate, but rather all new tires all around. The Orange Crate's front tires have only three grooves, while the Rat Roaster's appear to have four.

The Revell team told me yesterday that all the tires on the Rat Roaster are all new....TIM

#94 kitswapper

kitswapper

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Full Name:Jim White

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

It's all new tooling top to bottom.

#95 scbaker

scbaker

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Baker

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

IMHO ... the only thing that this kit is worth is to fill a parts box ... I think Revell could have tooled up something that is more relevant across the board ... Just my opinion

Steve B.

Edited by scbaker, 07 October 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#96 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

IMHO ... the only thing that this kit is worth is a to fill a parts box with ... I think Revell could have tooled up something that is more relevant across the board ... Just my opinion

Steve B.

A lot of people in the hot-rod community tend to think the '32 Ford will be relevant until the world ends. I tend to agree. Yes, it's been done a bazillion times, but it's the absolute number- one icon of the whole hot rod hobby (IMHO).

#97 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,319 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

That kit is worth it and more for all the cool parts, including that fabulous guitar! Looking forward to it.

#98 Mr mopar

Mr mopar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Spencer

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Is that guitar ,out of the Dodge Magnum wagon?

#99 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Is that guitar ,out of the Dodge Magnum wagon?

It looks a little different to me.

#100 Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis Lacy

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

A lot of people in the hot-rod community tend to think the '32 Ford will be relevant until the world ends. I tend to agree. Yes, it's been done a bazillion times, but it's the absolute number- one icon of the whole hot rod hobby (IMHO).

I have to agree with this 100%.

While it's true there's going to be a lot of people who don't care for the look of this car as it comes (I don't), the content can't be ignored as an incredible source of new hot rod parts. If it turns out this stuff will interchange with the existing line of Revell '32 Ford kits then we are going to have one hell of a winner on our hands. Imagine having a ready-to-go small block Chevy that will drop right into the other kits! A streetable super charger setup (water pump, alternator) for a Chevy is long overdue and if a person doesn't like the blower then can it and add the top end components of your choice.

Some proof here that this kit may be a continuation of the current line of 32's is that there's some obvious carry-overs from the most recent 5-Window version. The Moon auxillary fuel tank, hairpin radius rods and '50 Pontiac taillights. It looks like the same front suspension is in place too simply with painted shock brackets and headlight buckets.

Are there any pictures of the parts trees laid out like the other models are???

I'm in disbelief that Revell came through on the tires. Early reports indicated that they were not going to do them and simply use something that already exists from their tire bins. Can you guys imagine how stupid this car would look with those wide Goodyear tires or those lowrider Dunlops the other '32 Roadster kit has???