#21 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,909 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

It may have been originally slated to be a diecast, but Revell seemed to be pulling out of the diecast market for the most part by the time this kit was announced.

#22 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Full Name:Jason

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

I believe that it was Hobbico that killed this kit, after it bought Revell.

#23 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'd be all for an '81-88 version as well, so much so the conversion after that will cover that body style.

But I do hope someone beats me to it.

I've been looking at large, quality images of '86 Cutlasses, Regals, Gran Prixs, and Monte Carlo SSs on the web for the last hour, and it's clear why nobody has attempted this body- just about every exterior panel on the Olds is different from its siblings.

Other than the side view mirrors from the 1/24 Monogram Regal GN, I don't see any body parts from the Buick which could be used for a Cutlass conversion. Maybe the greenhouse could be used, but the hood, fenders, bumper covers (though the Olds rub strips look very similar to the Gran Prix's), quarter panels, and trunk lids are all different. I thought the doors could be left as is, but I can't tell for sure if the crease running through the lower 1/3 of the Regal's body is the same as the crease on the Cutlass's body?

The Monte SS looks useless as a Cutlass body donor.

#24 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

The roof and glass of the Regal should be the same except for the quarter window shape. It's too bad Monogram didn't do an '83-84 Hurst/Olds back in the day, would have been great to go w/ the Monte SS and Regal GN kits.

#25 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,909 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

I've been looking at large, quality images of '86 Cutlasses, Regals, Gran Prixs, and Monte Carlo SSs on the web for the last hour, and it's clear why nobody has attempted this body- just about every exterior panel on the Olds is different from its siblings.

Other than the side view mirrors from the 1/24 Monogram Regal GN, I don't see any body parts from the Buick which could be used for a Cutlass conversion. Maybe the greenhouse could be used, but the hood, fenders, bumper covers (though the Olds rub strips look very similar to the Gran Prix's), quarter panels, and trunk lids are all different. I thought the doors could be left as is, but I can't tell for sure if the crease running through the lower 1/3 of the Regal's body is the same as the crease on the Cutlass's body?

The Monte SS looks useless as a Cutlass body donor.

That's right, but the car's 'sheetmetal' can be shaped out of putty- you'd more or less be using the MPC body as a buck. That's the approach I'm taking for this one. The 1:1's share the same body structure, but the skin is completely different among the various models.

#26 Darin Bastedo

Darin Bastedo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

That's right, but the car's 'sheetmetal' can be shaped out of putty- you'd more or less be using the MPC body as a buck. That's the approach I'm taking for this one. The 1:1's share the same body structure, but the skin is completely different among the various models.

The regal can be used as a basis for this conversion. I know because I did one in the early nineties, that I eventually abandoned due to problems making the hood, primarily due to material issues. (back them I only knew about green squadron putty, and it kept warping the scratch-built hood.) You are right about every body panel being different but enough of the underlying shape is there to modify/build up the correct body panels. the front and rear clips have to be done from scratch as well as the interior and other details. I may attempt this again sometime this year though.

#27 Truck parts

Truck parts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Full Name:gordon d.dickerson

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

I would buy a case or more

#28 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

I would have to say that they would sell more of the Oldsmobile Cutlass kits than they think. Just look at the sales numbers of the 1:1 cars . If they just came out with a 78 or 79 I would be happy !
Also I do not think that anybody has ever produced a rear drive Cutlass in 1/25 or 1//24 scale past the 74 model year , in any medium .

#29 BKcustoms

BKcustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Kaune

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm going to try building one of these, I would be able to use most of the regal kit. the fenders and quarter windows would need to be reshaped, the doors could be left alone, and then I would need to make a hood, front and rear bumper, taillights, headlights, dash, and a grill to finish the conversion.... Time to get to the bench!

#30 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

been putting in work on one using the MC as a base
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 BKcustoms

BKcustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Kaune

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

I've been following your build closely, how are you planning on making the grill? I was thinking about maybe using brass rod glued together side by side but there has to be an easier way.

#32 Truck parts

Truck parts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Full Name:gordon d.dickerson

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Frank , The work on the you have done so far looks good . Please keep us posted on the updates. Thank you

#33 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Talked to a friend of mine that has a 1985 G body Cutlass . He told me that the Buick and the olds share the doors and roof with a different rear Quarters and deck lid.
Yes the side windows in the rear are different so is the front clip. The olds and the monty have the same frame. not sure about the buick.

#34 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Not remarkably accurate, but a starting point?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c56419a5

-MJS

#35 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Interesting. Maybe Antonio or someone else who is a member of the Lay It Low forum knows who made a resin body once before, though I'm not sure these are the same or even related.

#36 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

I remember stumbling on a page of someone whom made and was selling a resin cutlass kit with headlamps bumpers and the like. I don't recall what year but it was for that body era depicted,

#37 mademan

mademan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Mathers

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Interesting. Maybe Antonio or someone else who is a member of the Lay It Low forum knows who made a resin body once before, though I'm not sure these are the same or even related.

Ryan, who owned scalelows.com had casted a resin cutlass body, but they are long gone. The site is no longer running, due to his passing last year.

#38 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Are the seven bodies on eBay bodies which Ryan cast?

#39 dimaxion

dimaxion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Full Name:John JR. Landgraver

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

John Hier made a '84 Cutlas . He was one of the Pioneer resin casters back in the day . Another one to look for on Ebay . Thanx ..

#40 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

I can see this as a potential 3-in-1 kit : - Stock - Low Rider - Street Machine I can just see two different engines : - V6 ( Buick or Chevy ?) - "Generic" small block V8 (305 , ad seq.) Induction : - Stock 2Bbl for both engines - Single 4Bbl option for both engines - Tunnel Ram for V8 With both backed by a 200-4R . Engine-side Exhaust : - Stock iron manifolds - Headers with trim-to-desired-length collectors Wheels : - Stock Oldsmobile Rally Wheels - Daytons - Plain Steel Wheels (with wider size for rear for hot rod / bracket racer build) Tyres : - Stock 225 75-14's ( or whatever was stock size ) - Skinny whitewalls for the Daytons - D.O.T. Slicks (small enough to fit the wheelwells) for the Street Machine / Bracket version) Interior : - Stock bench seat / column shift - Bucket seat / rear seat delete panel for speakers (Low Rider) - Bucket seats / console with stock shifter , "Lightening Rod" shifters for race version (similar to the Hurst version ) Optional steering wheels , roll bar , gauges , etc. Hoods : - stock flat hood - "Cowl Induction" style hood - "L88" style hood Exhaust : - Stock single exhaust - True dual exhaust Everything in the engine compartment should be separate in order to facilitate a plain race car version. I firmly believe that if Revell-Monogram were to make it a 3-in-1 kit , that its sales would be quite strong !

Couple of small corrections:

The standard tires on the Cutlasses through about 1982 were P185/75R14, with P19575R14 being the far more commonly-ordered option. P205/75R14 and P205/70R14 were also available. Hurst/Olds and 4-4-2s used P215/65R15.

Oldsmobiles did in fact, use mostly Olds V8s. The 260 and the 307. The 305 was offered from 1978-80, and then in the Hurst/Olds in 1983-84. The Olds V8s are visibly different than a Chevy V8.

The standard automatic was usually a TH200/200C, with the 200R4 available from 1984-'88, and the only choice in 1988 as the Cutlass Supreme Classic with the 307 standard. Occasionally, a TH350 would be seen on some V8 cars.

Charlie Larkin