Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:45 AM
Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:19 AM
I like where you're going with rear end treatment. Looking forward to seeing a complete mock-up to get the whole picture.
Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:12 PM
Roger, the cut's in the rear go about a third of the way across from each side; with a third left unmolested in the center. I think if you cut all the pieces apart, you'd have you hands full trying to line them up again.
Todd, the hood was purposely left out to show off engine detail. That's one of the reasons I like to do hot rods. You get to see more of the engine. Besides that, I was trying to make numerous subtle changes to make the car less like a 40 Ford; more of a generic 40's era coupe of unknown origin.
John, here's a shot from the side. The rear is sitting up higher in this picture than it eventually does, but you can get a sense of the profile.
Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:26 PM
I soldered bits of brass tube to some small brass strips.
The strips were bent at 90º so they would lay behind the body panels, yet protrude outward from the door edge. Brass rod is used for the hinge pins.
I started with a full length of rod, extending through both hinges. This keeps the upper and lower hinges aligned so they don't bind as the door swings. Notice that the lower hinge sticks out from the door panel further than the upper hinge. This allows the door to swing out in a horizontal plane. You commonly see doors on these older body's (models) that droop downward in the open position because both hinges are built the same length.
The long straps allow for plenty of gluing area on the inside of the body panels. Notice how the lower strap extends all the way forward to catch a bit of the firewall. The more surface supporting glue (epoxy in this case) the better.
Here's the final product roughed in. I made a small goof when I added the 90º bend in the upper straps. You can see where the trim on the door is cut away to make room for the hinge. The upper hinge was to curve rearward like the lower one. This would have covered over most of the gap in the trim. Unfortunately, I bent the uppers forward and didn't want to start over with anothr set.
Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:28 PM
Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:32 PM
I spy some Revell pro street Malibu wheels in the mockup.
In retrospect, wished I would have picked out a more traditional wheel and tire combo. Still fairly big in the rear, but less billet looking. I ended up drilling out the Chevy emblems in the wheels and stripping the chrome to tone them down.
Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:35 PM
Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:43 PM
Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:26 PM
Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:54 AM
Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:07 AM
Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:03 AM
Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:15 PM
Totally AWESOME build going on here Dude!
I really like what you are doing, er, done, uhm, did.
I LIKE IT! A LOT!!
Thank You for sharing this with Us all
I am hooked on the plastic!
Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:11 PM
Before you know it, the ideas are flowing and I'm working on another project. Sorry for neglecting this WIP.
On with the '40 couple;
To bump up the cool factor, I cut out a strip of .015" brass sheet for a visor. The middle was over bent, and then partially straightened to provide the center crease. Then the ends were bent over in a gentle curve. This was the toughest part of building the visor. It took about 10 or 15 tries before the fit was decent. I still think it's marginal, but life goes on.
Here's a couple of shots of the coupe with the body work pretty much finished. The ruddy red primer will be the base color for the wear and tear stage.
On to some other aspects of the build. Here's one of my favorite parts of this car. I ran across a Ken Hamilton tutorial
on making Mexican blankets. Essentially, you lay individual strands of sewing thread side by side to build up a pattern. This one is made up of about 280 strands in 4 colors; one being green to tie in with the exterior paint.
I took this concept a step further and used the Mexican blanket material as upholstery for my seat.
Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:36 PM