#21 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

Cool idea on the trunk Alyn! Did you cut each piece completely through and glue back together? Looking forward to the next update.

#22 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

Chop looks great! The '40 Ford coupe's got to be one of the toughest cars to chop and have it look as good as the original; you done good! Really like your technique with minimal putty as well.

I like where you're going with rear end treatment. Looking forward to seeing a complete mock-up to get the whole picture.

#23 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

how bout a cut down 40 grill and hood ;)

#24 LAone

LAone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • Full Name:Luis Aguilar

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

great looking project. keep up the great work.

#25 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

Thanks, Chuck. The modified 32 grille shell is one of my favorite body mods of any than I have done. The end result was exactly what I had in mind.

Roger, the cut's in the rear go about a third of the way across from each side; with a third left unmolested in the center. I think if you cut all the pieces apart, you'd have you hands full trying to line them up again.

Todd, the hood was purposely left out to show off engine detail. That's one of the reasons I like to do hot rods. You get to see more of the engine. Besides that, I was trying to make numerous subtle changes to make the car less like a 40 Ford; more of a generic 40's era coupe of unknown origin.

John, here's a shot from the side. The rear is sitting up higher in this picture than it eventually does, but you can get a sense of the profile.

Posted Image.

#26 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

For those of you that like detail, here's some shots of the door hinges.

I soldered bits of brass tube to some small brass strips.

Posted Image

The strips were bent at 90º so they would lay behind the body panels, yet protrude outward from the door edge. Brass rod is used for the hinge pins.

Posted Image

I started with a full length of rod, extending through both hinges. This keeps the upper and lower hinges aligned so they don't bind as the door swings. Notice that the lower hinge sticks out from the door panel further than the upper hinge. This allows the door to swing out in a horizontal plane. You commonly see doors on these older body's (models) that droop downward in the open position because both hinges are built the same length.

Posted Image

The long straps allow for plenty of gluing area on the inside of the body panels. Notice how the lower strap extends all the way forward to catch a bit of the firewall. The more surface supporting glue (epoxy in this case) the better.

Posted Image

Here's the final product roughed in. I made a small goof when I added the 90º bend in the upper straps. You can see where the trim on the door is cut away to make room for the hinge. The upper hinge was to curve rearward like the lower one. This would have covered over most of the gap in the trim. Unfortunately, I bent the uppers forward and didn't want to start over with anothr set.

Posted Image

#27 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,234 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I spy some Revell pro street Malibu wheels in the mockup. B)

#28 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

I spy some Revell pro street Malibu wheels in the mockup. B)

In retrospect, wished I would have picked out a more traditional wheel and tire combo. Still fairly big in the rear, but less billet looking. I ended up drilling out the Chevy emblems in the wheels and stripping the chrome to tone them down.

#29 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,234 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Future reference- the wheels from the Revell Lincoln MkVII kit are very cool- still kind of a billet style, but styled to resemble a wide-5 wheel. They even have the old-school V8 emblem engraved on the hubs. B) Since the Lincoln kit used the same tires as the Chevelle they fit those tires like a glove.

#30 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

I just lost out on a bid on the same kit you're building. The wheel/tire package looks great. I'm surprised you're not using them. Another really nice build of this same kit took one of the Out of Box, or Stock awards at this years IPMS Nationals.

#31 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,234 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Oh, I'm saving those Lincoln rollers for a special project. No idea what its going to be just yet, though! :lol:

#32 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

Beautiful, radical work. Fearless plastic bashing at its best. The reshaping of the trunk area may be sacreligious, but it's truly inspired - it really complements the chopped and channeled lines by giving the car a more close coupled look. Build on, Alyn, build on!!!! B) :)

#33 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:07 AM

It's looking cooler with every update Alyn! I'm glad you're giving us this rundown and really look forward to seeing the finished build!

#34 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:03 AM

Some nice work here. Chopped and cutting open the doors? Boy, you are a brave one. B)

#35 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:34 AM

Amazing, it's looking great. Keep it going.

#36 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:17 AM

Updates???

#37 rustybill1960

rustybill1960

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Poland

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

:blink:
Totally AWESOME build going on here Dude!
I really like what you are doing, er, done, uhm, did.
:rolleyes:
I LIKE IT! A LOT!!
Thank You for sharing this with Us all
I am hooked on the plastic!
Later
Russ
;)

#38 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

So, the other day I open this AMT Ford C-600 Cab-over stake side kit. What a neat diversion from cars and light trucks. I just wanted to see what was in the box, but soon after the engine halves were glued together (the official start) and then I started fiddling with the frame ...

Before you know it, the ideas are flowing and I'm working on another project. Sorry for neglecting this WIP.

On with the '40 couple;

To bump up the cool factor, I cut out a strip of .015" brass sheet for a visor. The middle was over bent, and then partially straightened to provide the center crease. Then the ends were bent over in a gentle curve. This was the toughest part of building the visor. It took about 10 or 15 tries before the fit was decent. I still think it's marginal, but life goes on.

Posted Image

Here's a couple of shots of the coupe with the body work pretty much finished. The ruddy red primer will be the base color for the wear and tear stage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On to some other aspects of the build. Here's one of my favorite parts of this car. I ran across a Ken Hamilton tutorial
on making Mexican blankets. Essentially, you lay individual strands of sewing thread side by side to build up a pattern. This one is made up of about 280 strands in 4 colors; one being green to tie in with the exterior paint.
Posted Image

I took this concept a step further and used the Mexican blanket material as upholstery for my seat.

Posted Image

#39 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

Awesome work!

#40 LAone

LAone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • Full Name:Luis Aguilar

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

wow, that is some patience to make that mexican blanket(by far some of the best to keep warm) great touch of detail.