Model Cars Magazine Forum

RoG 1/16 '62 VW Beetle

58 Impala

Yes, it's a re-issue, and as mentioned, very nice. Lots of detail throughout, but it builds a 100% stock split window Beetle.

I bought one in the '90s to use for a Durachrome Bug F/C project, so I have very few parts left on hand, but the beltline chrome trim is indeed separate, as are the door handles, center hood trim piece, and I recall semaphore turn signals in the B-pillars. I think I paid $60 for it over a decade ago, so prices really haven't gone up that much on these kits.

Buy it. You won't regret it.

was this the same basic kit that Revell used for the "Elegant Beetle" custom Rolls nose version?

No, the two kits are not related. The Elegant Beetle was a Monogram kit, and the VW Kafer was a Revell AG tool. The VW Kafer is related to the 1/16 Karmann Ghia, though.

I agree. Buy it. Don't even think about whether or not you should. I reviewed it many moons ago in CAR MODELER and had my socks knocked off by how nice the kit was. That said, we still need a good split-window Beetle in 1/24-1/25 scale.

I agree with Larry. VERY nice kit.... just too darn big. A 1/25 Split would be great, especially with a Hebmuller option!