#1 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

Last week, I was able to get a copy of Missing Link's Resin 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 4-Door Sedan, mastered by my fellow club member Howard Weinstein. Howard did a masterful job modifying the AMT 1964 Galaxie 500XL 2- Door Hardtop into a Galaxie 500 4-door sedan, nailing the 4-Door Sedan roof shape and rear window contours, rescribing the door cuts from 2-Door to 4-Door, removing the "star" from the rear fenders, and adding the "Galaxie 500" emblems in the right places on the body.

Posted Image

Howard also made a set of separate door panels, a front bench, and rear seat, which are pretty faithful to the '64 Galaxie 500 upholstery pattern, which drop into the AMT "Nascar" interior tub.

Posted Image

The kit consists of the one piece promo-style body, a clean interior tub, separate side panels, and separate front bench and rear seats. The builder must supply one of the AMT '64 Galaxie 500XL curbside model kits, which are pretty easy to find, for the "glass", tail lamps, chassis, chrome grille and bumpers, and tail lamp bezels.

You are pretty much on your own for wheel trim, even though he latest issue of the Revell '64 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt, as well as Trumpeter's '65 Ford Ranchero kit will yield a set of steelies and accurate '64 Ford "dog-dish" hubcaps. The Trumpeter Falcon kits also have an accurate set of '64 Ford optional wire wheel covers. If you go these routes, you will have to add a set of tires, axles, and wheelbacks.

On my build, I am going with a set of '64 Galaxie 500 full wheel covers mounted on white stripe tires, which I modified from the AMT '64 Galaxie kit, as this is the combination I have seen on most of the '64 Galaxie 500s I saw as a kid.

I applaud Missing Link Resin's marketing of the various Ford 4-Door Sedan resin transkits from the '60's and '70's, as they have a myriad of applications, from family cars, to taxi-cabs, to emergency vehicles, and I appreciate Howard Weinstein's willingness to share his modeling talents with the rest of us by allowing his work to be cast.

Posted Image

I just had to get this one up on it's wheels to see the direction I am going to take it, which is going to be just your ordinary family sedan from the '60's.

#2 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

That looks like an awesome resin kit. I will like seeing it come together.

#3 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hey, that's my Mom's old Galaxie 500!

Looks like a really nice piece of resin. Is it going to be a stock build?

#4 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

I've seen that kit and it IS a beautifully done conversion. I too must say thank you to Mr. Weinstein for shareing his remarkable talents with us. :D :) ;)

#5 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,379 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

I like this vehicle and where it is headed. Please keep it going.

#6 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

I finished the Galaxie yesterday. I added a set of '64 Galaxie full wheelcovers from Kevin at Missing link. They do nice stuff.

Posted Image

#7 Daniel Lynch

Daniel Lynch

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Very nice "family" rider!!!!!

Daniel

#8 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

Looks good, Ron.

Charlie Larkin

#9 dustym

dustym

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

My first car was a maroon colored one that was a hand me down. it only lasted me 6 months.