#222 7000in5th

7000in5th

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Full Name:David W. Palmeter

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

How many of you road race fans knew that a Corvette was entered in the 1962 Le Mans 24 Hour race? It was news to me when I ran across a picture in my "Le Mans" two book set back in '06:

Posted Image

I have shot the restored car and collected lots of pix from 1962 HERE. An interesting and little known car but too far down my list of projects. If you decide to build one, be sure to post pix.

#223 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

are there empty spots on the tree ?

Unless Erik cut the anti-sway bar off all the way to the runner, I think so:

Posted Image

Same with the part between the gear carrier and timing cover:

Posted Image

#224 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yesterday I started working on the Revell '62 Corvette for a future Gasser project I have underway.

Like many of us, I was a little put off by the location of the parting line across the front, just above the "Corvette" letters.

Well, I've just changed my mind.

It took less than a minute with an X-Acto knife to scrape away the parting line, without touching the Corvette lettering.

This was helped in that the parting lines on this body are amongst the finest (read well-done) I've ever seen on a kit.

Really guys, it was a breeze.

I haven't painted the body yet, so I'll post an update later if I run into any trouble after the paint goes, at which point the reflective surface would highlight any residual issues with the parting lines.

Just goes to show (once again), you can't really judge a kit appropriately until you build it.

Best regards...TIM

Edited by tim boyd, 17 November 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#225 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just as I suspected, it would not be that big a issue. Thanks Tim.

#226 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,399 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Lesson learned , never listen to a bunch of people on a forum, make up your own mind for things, in this case, model kits

#227 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

I'd be interested to see or hear (Mike?) if other kits produced at a later date than Erik or Craig's (and I think this is where the laser date thing might come in handy) have the same body mold misalignment issue or not.

Like many of us, I was a little put off by the location of the parting line across the front, just above the "Corvette" letters. Well, I've just changed my mind. It took less than a minute with an X-Acto knife to scrape away the parting line, without touching the Corvette lettering. This was helped in that the parting lines on this body are amongst the finest (read well-done) I've ever seen on a kit.

Tim, was the nose parting line in your kit the same as shown on Erik's kit below, or were both "sides" even, without one side higher then the other, as seen on Erik's kit's body?:

#228 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Casey...this is the third time I've tried to respond to your note....\\\\\\\\\\\

Let's see if I can make it stick this time.

I don't recall the mold parting oine being as exagerated as the one in your photo. It was even all the way across., and very, very light in totality.

I bought my kit the first day it officially went on sale. I had to have the guys at Nankin Mills Hobby go back in the storeroom to fish it out - it wasn't even on the shelves yet. So presumably it would be relatively early in the kit's production run.

Best regards and again, sorry for the delay in responding, I tired first yesterday just after you posted. TIM

Edited by tim boyd, 19 November 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#229 Duntov

Duntov

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Lucianno

"Mi sono perso"

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

........ hmmmmm.............. try using the hard top from the old AMT 57 Corvette kit.(CORRECTION.... the AMT "62" kit)..... it needs only slight adjustment and the header bars match almost exactly....

You will need to "CAREFULLY" cut off the two tabs on the inside of the windshield part (the top NOT the bottom) to make the hard top fit better.... some additional sanding in this area is required and perhaps a notch will be needed in one of the parts on both sides but the version I have is very close already.... if anything it sits back a bit too far but carefully sanding the leading edge of the top will solve that problem...the molded header strip on the top is a bit thick anyway..... Carefully removing that header bar and reattaching it after removing some of the material from the top will let the rear part of the top fall just inside the rear deck panel line right where it belongs. And you will also need to add a very small "V" cut or filed into the base of the rear window bow to clear the rear wind-split as on the original....

SO..... now you all can go dig that new 62 kit out of the trash and get started on it!!!!

See..... now that wasn't that hard was it!!!!!!!!!! ....

Posted Image

Edited by Duntov, 20 November 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#230 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

STOP IT! You guys are making too much sense! LOL!

#231 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

I just picked up the '62 Corvette kit at my LHS and it looks really nice !   I have to agree with Tim that the parting lines are among the best I've ever seen and sanding them will be a breeze !  I was more surprised at how faint the molded letters and emblem on the nose are ,  at least there are decals for them .   Also , Bill is right about the hard top in the AMT kit ,  it looks like it was made for it !

Now ,  lets build a few of these and find something else to complain about !

Edited by TooOld, 30 November 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#232 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

........ hmmmmm.............. try using the hard top from the old AMT 57 Corvette kit.(CORRECTION.... the AMT "62" kit)..... it needs only slight adjustment and the header bars match almost exactly....

You will need to "CAREFULLY" cut off the two tabs on the inside of the windshield part (the top NOT the bottom) to make the hard top fit better.... some additional sanding in this area is required and perhaps a notch will be needed in one of the parts on both sides but the version I have is very close already.... if anything it sits back a bit too far but carefully sanding the leading edge of the top will solve that problem...the molded header strip on the top is a bit thick anyway..... Carefully removing that header bar and reattaching it after removing some of the material from the top will let the rear part of the top fall just inside the rear deck panel line right where it belongs. And you will also need to add a very small "V" cut or filed into the base of the rear window bow to clear the rear wind-split as on the original....

SO..... now you all can go dig that new 62 kit out of the trash and get started on it!!!!

See..... now that wasn't that hard was it!!!!!!!!!! ....

62Uptop-vi.jpg

I tried the AMT '62 Corvette roof last weekend on my Revell '62 Corvette GASSER project and it fits perfectly, just as described by Duntov. Haven't check out how it fits with the quarter windows added, that's a project for this weekend! TIm

#233 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I have tried the hardtop and uptop from the MPC '60 Corvette, and the hardtop from the MPC '57 flip front Corvette and all three will work fine, but the headliner detail in both hardtops will take some work. Downside is that neither hardtop have the quarter windows which must be there as they did not retract. Simple scratch build.

#234 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Can i back date the 62 to a 60, If i have the Skip's drive in 60 corvette for detail parts?
Thanks,
Joe.

#235 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

red-n-white.jpg62corvette2big.jpg

#236 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you want to build a '60 the Revell '59 would be a much better starting place, or the MPC '60 for that matter.

#237 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I tried the AMT '62 Corvette roof last weekend on my Revell '62 Corvette GASSER project and it fits perfectly, just as described by Duntov. Haven't check out how it fits with the quarter windows added, that's a project for this weekend! TIm

Update from the "Nothing is easy when it comes to kitbashing" department:  When I added the 1/4 window/backlight piece from the AMT '62 Corvette to the roof from the same kit, and placed it on the Revell '62 Corvette body, I found that the quarter windows are recessed too far inward to line up withthe Revell cockpit, which is wider in width than the AMT '62 Corvette.  So,....onto trying the up roof from some of the other C1 Corvette kits....or else I can cut away the quarter windows and move them outward while still being recessed slightly from the exterior roof panel (which would give a more realistic appearance anyway).  If none of that works, then onto one of the "up" convertible tops from C1 kits various....TIM   

#238 66belair

66belair

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Boyle

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

I got this kit the other day and am anxious to build it regardless of it not having an up top. It's nice go have some newly tooled kits that are up to modern standards. Build and enjoy and hopefully the manufactures will keep bringing us new stuff.

#239 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Maybe you missed this post on page three.

Hi gang,

Just got done eating crow here. :unsure:  I bought this kit and it is a real beauty! Go out and buy one, you won't be dissapointed. Thank you Revell!

FYI - I test-fit the chrome gasser grille openings from the MPC '60 7n1 kit and it looks like they will fit this with just some filling of the corners of the center opening. Also, the Revell '41 Willys gasser frame should fit under the floorpan here, with minimal mods.

Happy Modeling!

#240 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

So far, this is the engine and drivetrain....Sure some of you guys still want to avoid buying this one??? :D

62Corvetteproject6007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki