#241 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

There is nothing wrong with this kit that can't be handled by an experienced builder and turned into an awesome piece of work. Heck, Cruz could make a Barbie car look like the real thing.

Edited by sjordan2, 05 December 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#242 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

So far, this is the engine and drivetrain....Sure some of you guys still want to avoid buying this one??? :D

62Corvetteproject6007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

:D  :blink: DROOL.

#243 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

So far, this is the engine and drivetrain....Sure some of you guys still want to avoid buying this one??? :D

Really nice work, but I'm still waiting for a reissue with a hardtop.   Even if it's another stupid California Wheels thing, I'd rather have a hard top because I'd replace the wheels anyway.

#244 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,329 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Really nice work, but I'm still waiting for a reissue with a hardtop.   Even if it's another stupid California Wheels thing, I'd rather have a hard top because I'd replace the wheels anyway.

This current version is pretty much the CA Wheels version, with it's larger diameter wheels and tires, custom decals, and not much else in the way of optional parts.

The hardtop is happening in the next version and the Big John Mazmanian 'Vette is the perfect choice for a drag version. The body is close to stock, Revell has released previous BJM cars, and the rear wheel wells could be handled as they are on the '68 Hemi Dart kit. When is Revell announcing it's 2013 Fall releases?  ^_^

#245 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

I'm not a vette guy so bear with me. ( I think the only vette I have on my shelf is the MPC  Malco Gasser )

So ! I ask ,,,,,,, is this version really that much better than any previous AMT / MPC issue ?

If so how ?

Like mentioned , a hardtop is/would be a must have for me. so for me to buy one thats whats it's going to take

#246 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

Cruz,
Great work so far. I am just starting the injection system plumbing. What have you used as reference?
Thanks for sharring your build.
joe.

#247 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Cruz,
Great work so far. I am just starting the injection system plumbing. What have you used as reference?
Thanks for sharring your build.
joe.

Thanks, just go under images in Google, type '62 Corvette roadster and just go from there!

#248 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

62Corvetteproject6007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Nope, just give me your address and I will get mine shipped to you for completion! Very nice job (as usual) and I am sure it will be another magazine cover worthy build!

#249 meaneyme

meaneyme

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Cruz, I just purchased mine and I am copying everything you did to build mine! Sorry! LOL

#250 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Cruz, I just purchased mine and I am copying everything you did to build mine! Sorry! LOL

Kevin, to me this is an honor, good luck with yours!

#251 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Here's a custom '62 that will auctioned at B-J in Scottsdale in January. Inspiration?

Attached File  62 vette custom_Front_3-4_Web.jpg   50.24KB   4 downloads

http://www.barrett-j...id=466&Home=yes

#252 cotto

cotto

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Well, I just saw Cruz's completed Vette in FB and it looks awesome, I just purchased 2 of these babies and it's my next build. Now I have to chose the right color for it...

#253 Jim Whalen

Jim Whalen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Full Name:Dr James Whalen

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Hi,

I've found this thread really useful for learning about not only the kit but real '62 Corvettes - thanks guys!

I've got one of these kits now (took a while for one to appear over here) and I'd like to paint it an accurate colour - MCW do not ship out of the U.S. - has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get a realistic representation of '62 vette colours?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Jim

#254 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

Hi,

I've found this thread really useful for learning about not only the kit but real '62 Corvettes - thanks guys!

I've got one of these kits now (took a while for one to appear over here) and I'd like to paint it an accurate colour - MCW do not ship out of the U.S. - has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get a realistic representation of '62 vette colours?

Cheers,

Jim

You could try Hiroboy/Zero Paints, he's in the UK.  Probably all you really need is the paint code (you can find this info at TCP Global's Auto Color Library) you might be able to get a local auto paint jobber to mix up some paint for you (I don't know how the regualtions are in the UK, if auto paints are available to the general public). 

Or you could buy a set of vintage paint shop paint chips off of ebay - "pete's auto data" is a source I've used several times - and either mix your own or match to what's available commercially.  Sometimes Corvette colors are done on their own sheet instead of the same year's Chevrolet colors.  Depends on which paint brand the chips are from.

http://www.hiroboy.com

http://www.tcpglobal...ry/default.aspx

http://stores.ebay.com/petes-auto-data

#255 Jim Whalen

Jim Whalen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the reply - I deal with Steve at Hiroboy regularly, he uses an Italian company to provide the recipes for his paints and if they don't have the code listed he's unable to do the ratios correctly.  There are some codes for Chevrolets but none as early as 1962.  What Steve does have is a huge range chips that he can match so if I get some paint chips off e-bay it won't be 100% accurate but it'll be close enough for me and probably all but the pickiest of viewers.

I'll try the links you have suggested as well, thanks.

Cheers,

Jim

#256 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Try Paintref.com, too.  They have codes for several manufacturers there, including Dupont and Ditzler/PPG.  If Steve already has one of their body shop chip books it would save you the hassle. 

http://paintref.com/...Get Paint Codes

#257 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

You can also try scalefinishes.com. Great and quick service!

#258 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hi,

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

A simple hobby paint solution would be Testors Model Master Lacquer "Honduras Maroon" - if you don't already have a color in mind.

Happy Modeling,

Matt

#259 Jim Whalen

Jim Whalen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the helpful replies. 

Matt - you can't get Testors model car paints here, a shame as I like the Honduras Maroon and it would make a change of pace from all the bright red ones (I don't mind bright red - in fact I quite like it as my 1:1 hot rod is bright red!!).  I was quite optimistic when I heard that Testors paints would start to be sold over here but all that is being imported are the military colours plus some of the basics.  A plus is the metalisers are over here now and they're a nice product.

Marcos - ScaleFinishes can't ship paint outside of the U.S. either - I'll either have to get some chips or see if my local car paint shop can use some of the codes from the paint manufacturers, it seems getting the codes isn't too difficult.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by Jim Whalen, 10 January 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#260 Scalefinishes

Scalefinishes

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Jameston Kroon

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Jim

If anyone needs factory codes, or any type of paint information, for the 62 Vette you can find them on my site (scalefinishes.com), or email me (scalefinishes@gmail.com) There is more info, and specs for the '62 at http://www.rogerscor...om/specs/62.htm

I hope that helps,

Jameston

Edited by Scalefinishes, 13 January 2013 - 08:33 PM.