#121 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

Just picked up mine at my LHS, I am loving it, might be my next build!!

Dying to see how you'll do it! What color do you have in mind?

#122 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Full Name:Francis Xavier Tiewski 3rd

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Anyone wanna actually review this kit and its contents in this thread please?

#123 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

They already make it. MCG 2109 for the 1961-62 Corvette kit. It will work for the Revell Kit.

Posted Image

Thanks and i really hope it fits. i just ordered it from MCG along with the set for the '68 - '72 Corvette and some seat belt material.
joe.

#124 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

Nevermind lol. It sucks. No uptops at all and no brake calipers for the rotors...good job.....pass.

#125 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

I purchased this kit today. Overall it is nice. It seems to be not as crisp as other new releases - could just be my attitude right now too. Anyhow:

Mild line dissecting fuel door - a little askew

Posted Image

The mold line up front - good luck

Posted Image

Bits of flash and a couple not-so-well planned small parts - side mirror and door handle (sprue attaches on door handle button)

Posted Image

Actually looks a little worse in person

Posted Image

I am not sure I like this wheel mounting method

Posted Image

The "brakes"

Posted Image

Lots of ejector pin marks on interior - may be a no factor depending on seats, etc

Posted Image

The decal sheet is nice - lots of small details AND a replacement for the script you will sand off the front

Posted Image

It's a nice kit. I am just being Debbie Downer and pointing out some things that are not like 90 percent of the rest of the kit. I will more than likely get another and wait patiently for that resin hardtop....

#126 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

The flash and attachment of parts on the chrome tree doesn't look good . I thought this was an all new tooling ?

#127 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

I think the sprue attachment points for the door handles is the best possible location-- at the lowest visible point when mounted on the car.

I am not a fan of the "flanged" wheels in recent Revell kits, either, but it does make the sprue attachment points a non-issue. Heck, you can even twist them free and nobody will ever be able to tell.

One out of nine well placed ejector pin marks in the interior floor is not a good ratio. Using flocking/embossing powder gonna is pretty much be mandatory when building this one. And why the laser date on the floor, too? That seems very odd, even though it will get painted over.

Those brakes are extremely basic, but I assume they are only to be used with the custom wheels? Speaking of which, could we get a pic of those, pretty please?

#128 58 Impala

58 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Is this kit really a new tooling or a die cast repop? I've been looking forward to it coming out, but now I'm having second thoughts about buying one. I'm a collector of Corvette kits, but for $26 I don't know. Maybe I'll wait for Hobby Lobby to carry them then I can use a 40% off coupon, that way I won't feel bad if the model isn't up to past Revell kits.

#129 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Is this kit really a new tooling or a die cast repop?

Yes, it is all-new.

#130 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Yes, it is all-new.

I thought it was a kit of the previous diecast Rout 66 car? Either way, this is unacceptable. Junk.

#131 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,555 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

One out of nine well placed ejector pin marks in the interior floor is not a good ratio. Using flocking/embossing powder gonna is pretty much be mandatory when building this one. And why the laser date on the floor, too? That seems very odd, even though it will get painted over.

Guess this is as good a time as any to learn how to do flocking...

And what's the deal with those codes stamped, or as Casey suggests, laser-etched into the parts lately? I'm finding they're actually affecting the primer- right over them I'm getting a different color. Why did they start doing them, and why do they always put them where I can see paint? (Same thing with all the copyright notices....major peeve.)

Charlie Larkin

#132 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

So much for constant improvement!!!!
It is certainly no '67 GTO, '72 Hurst/Olds, '69 Charger to name a few of their best.
I checked the chrome sprue on my '58 Pro Modeler Corvette and the '62 appears to be a bit better in terms of attacment points. I think overall the ejector pin marks are worse.
Joe.

#133 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

I purchased this kit today. Overall it is nice. It seems to be not as crisp as other new releases - could just be my attitude right now too.

It's a nice kit. I am just being Debbie Downer and pointing out some things that are not like 90 percent of the rest of the kit. I will more than likely get another and wait patiently for that resin hardtop....

Erik posted what he feels are the kit's worst points, so maybe that's enough to drive people away, but I would be interested in seeing some pics of the rest of the kit, too, so I can judge it as a whole.

Thanks for posting the pics, Erik.

#134 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

Okay, so here is the rest of the story...

Body - very nicely done, really smooth plastic (good or bad?),
Posted Image

The custom wheels - I don't know if we've seen these before?

Posted Image

The rest of that sprue - nicely done valve covers
Posted Image

More chrome
Posted Image

More chrome - nice spinners, separate mirrors and door handles, steering wheel is nice and thin - looks in scale, fragile, though.
Posted Image

Front ends and rear - custom front end is lowered, not by much - looks about 1.5" scale inches?...
Posted Image

Edited by Erik Smith, 28 October 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#135 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Oh, that's a poor picture. Exhaust, hood, etc...
Posted Image

Here is the 327 - very nicely engraved - I didn't do a parts count, but it will be a stellar looking engine when done - and yes, there is a bracket to hold the generator...
Posted Image

Frame - again, quite nice and appears there won't be much clean up...I love the look of built chassis and this one will be cool without the body in place...
Posted Image

Interior - nice, nice
Posted Image

More engine parts - see the generator bracket?
Posted Image

Custom tires - can't tell so much in the photo, but they are two different sizes for front and rear...
Posted Image
Stock rubber - sidewall detail is just the line...but they look decent
Posted Image

...and the whole decal sheet. Two sets of gauge faces, underhood details, seat belts (I have never tried decal seat belts), etc. Great decal sheet.
Posted Image

Edited by Erik Smith, 28 October 2012 - 05:55 AM.

#136 MicroNitro

MicroNitro

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Full Name:jim littiken

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for posting all the photos Erik I think I will have to run up to big 4 and get one. I wish it had a hard top for a Big John gasser!

#137 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

Is this kit really a new tooling or a die cast repop?

Yes, it is all-new.

Not having either the past '58 or '59, I just have to wonder if this 'all-new' tooling is actually modified tooling from these previous kits?

#138 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

Gonna have to get this one. Thanks for the pics! :)

#139 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for posting all the photos Erik I think I will have to run up to big 4 and get one. I wish it had a hard top for a Big John gasser!

I would almost guarantee we will see a resin top coming out shortly. Too much interest to miss that opportunity.

#140 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

Not having either the past '58 or '59, I just have to wonder if this 'all-new' tooling is actually modified tooling from these previous kits?

I am not an expert, but comparing both kits, I would say this is definitely not modified from the 58/9 kits. Too many slight differences - mold lines, ejector pins, etc., in different places.