296 replies to this topic

#141 Darin Bastedo

Darin Bastedo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

I thought it was a kit of the previous diecast Rout 66 car? Either way, this is unacceptable. Junk.

It looks good to me. we've been waiting decades for an acceptable 1962 Corvette, and this one looks very nice to me. But if you wish you can go back to building the almost 50 year old amt kit, or build one out of a 65 dollar resin kit and a 25-30 dollar 58-59 revell kit.

#142 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Here is the 327 - very nicely engraved - I didn't do a parts count, but it will be a stellar looking engine when done - and yes, there is a bracket to hold the generator...

Harry will be pleased to hear that. :lol:

Frame - again, quite nice and appears there won't be much clean up...I love the look of built chassis and this one will be cool without the body in place...
Posted Image

Custom tires - can't tell so much in the photo, but they are two different sizes for front and rear...

Are those weld beads on the frame rails? :huh: Nice detail, if so.

The tires appears to be the California Wheels series big 'n' littles as seen in the '67 Chevelle, '66 ElCo, '66 Chevelle Wagon, etc. Good to see them being used in a new kit. And those wheels... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

It looks pretty nice overall to me, with a few hiccups as noted earlier by Eric. I get the feeling this kit was designed along the lines of a Pro Modeler type kit, aimed directly at the very experienced builder who won't have much trouble with the body's mold seams (though that nose seam will take careful work to remove) and the ejector pin marks on the interior floor.

#143 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

I thought it was a kit of the previous diecast Rout 66 car? Either way, this is unacceptable. Junk.

"Junk."

Really?

No, "junk" was Palmer. This ain't Palmer.

B)

#144 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Are those weld beads on the frame rails? :huh: Nice detail, if so.

Yessir! Especially nice.

Looks like one of the best early Corvette chassis ever.

B)

Edited by Danno, 28 October 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#145 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

I get the feeling this kit was designed along the lines of a Pro Modeler type kit, aimed directly at the very experienced builder who won't have much trouble with the body's mold seams (though that nose seam will take careful work to remove) and the ejector pin marks on the interior floor.

It compares very closely to my Pro Modeler. Great detail. My earlier comments about it not being on par with my other favorite Revell kits was premature. I will withhold any more comment until i see the kit and compare it to the 58/59 Pro Modeler which i consider a very good Revell kit.

joe.

#146 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,865 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

Well, I tell ya this much, it's LIGHT YEARS BETTER than ANY 62 vette out there now! And i liked the die cast version, it's a VERY nice kit,even if it is die cast!

#147 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I am not an expert, but comparing both kits, I would say this is definitely not modified from the 58/9 kits. Too many slight differences - mold lines, ejector pins, etc., in different places.

Y'ain't gotta be an expert, Erik, and you're absolutely right. There may have been some reference to previous master patterns, but these new parts have nothing else in common either with the '58/'59 or the diecast '62.

People complaining about the lack of an uptop might be going a bit far to call the kit garbage for that, but it's a legitimate issue (even if not a deal-breaker for me). The most serious deviation I've noticed is that the sides of the rear quarters bulge a little too much as they wrap into the taillight area, one of the few points where the diecast body has the edge - molding considerations might have forced this in the plastic body, and the shell might be thick enough in that area that you can file it down a bit leaner and flatter as per the 1:1.

#148 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Can't wait to get one

#149 dmk

dmk

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Koch

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

People complaining about the lack of an uptop might be going a bit far to call the kit garbage for that, but it's a legitimate issue (even if not a deal-breaker for me).

The car will always be in shirt sleeve temperatures, never see rain, what possible reason could there be for a Ragtop Vette to have its top up in these conditions? :blink:

#150 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Those mold seams across the nose and along the sides, where the door panel and gas tank lines are offset, seem totally inexcusable for a modern, new-tool kit. Did the earlier versions have that kind of mess?

#151 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

The car will always be in shirt sleeve temperatures, never see rain, what possible reason could there be for a Ragtop Vette to have its top up in these conditions? :blink:

Cloudbursts? Shade when the sun gets too intense? Maybe the hardtop-mandated drag version some were hoping to build out of this kit, covered in some depth just a page or two back in this very thread?

How about having a complete kit in 2012?

Not that it matters much - considering what Revell pulled with the '72 Olds and that there appeared to be a rear window on the parts display at last year's iHobby, the NEXT version is apt to have an uptop.

#152 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Those mold seams across the nose and along the sides, where the door panel and gas tank lines are offset, seem totally inexcusable for a modern, new-tool kit. Did the earlier versions have that kind of mess?

Earlier version? This is a complete new tool.

#153 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Full Name:Francis Xavier Tiewski 3rd

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Cloudbursts? Shade when the sun gets too intense? Maybe the hardtop-mandated drag version some were hoping to build out of this kit, covered in some depth just a page or two back in this very thread?

How about having a complete kit in 2012?

Not that it matters much - considering what Revell pulled with the '72 Olds and that there appeared to be a rear window on the parts display at last year's iHobby, the NEXT version is apt to have an uptop.

The junk part about it, was the terrible mold lines...If this is supposed to be a brand new kit, the molds should be that bad.

#154 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well, looking it over, the effect presents a bit worse in shots than it does in person. It won't be a huge ordeal to straighten the gas cap lines and the fender seams are actually pretty well placed for you to knock 'em down and know it once you've gotten rid of 'em.

As for the header panel seam right above the CORVETTE script up front, that's bitchier. Maybe a piece of masking tape to protect the script?

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis, 29 October 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#155 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

As for the header panel seam right above the CORVETTE script up front, that's bitchier. Maybe a piece of masking tape to protect the script?

Or instead of a hobby knife or sanding maybe use some sort of chisel or narrow blade to remove it.

#156 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Yup. It'll still need smoothing, but after a small chisel's done the heavy lifting, you could go to one of those narrow sanding strips for cleanup and possibly avoid the script entirely.

#157 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Come on guys, its a cool kit, those little "pesky" issues can be dealt with, that's why we are modelers, we are supposed to be challenged and make something special out of this....

#158 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Come on guys, its a cool kit, those little "pesky" issues can be dealt with, that's why we are modelers, we are supposed to be challenged and make something special out of this....

Some of these issues shouldn't have been there if Revell had done better quality control on their product.

#159 garryrenfro

garryrenfro

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Full Name:Garry

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well, I would have like to seen alternate 3-speed and automatic transmissions. While we're at it, lower hp intakes, carbs, valve covers and exhaust. What about RPO 687 brake drums and scoops? And all of the decals to go with them?
Doubt if any kit ever lives up to everybody's wants and desires. But how many times do we build straight out of the box?
When it comes to Corvettes I am VERY prejudiced. I have always loved all things Corvette. My second model ever was an SMP 1959 that I bought at a neighborhood grocery store in 1960. I built dozens of Corvettes as a kid, and as an adult have owned several.
I have waited anxiously for this model to come out. For me, the positive things about it vastly outweigh the negatives. Bought one last week at a premium price and ordered a case at a really decent price from GMS Customs that will not ship for another week or so.
I want tops as much as anyone as I plan to build several classes of Drag and road race replicas. I believe the tops from the '58 and '59 will fit with a bit of massaging.

#160 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

I wonder how much of a factor the depth of the coves on either side of the grille opening were when it came time to design the "nose" section of the body mold. I (remembering that I have never designed such a mold in my life) would've though the front edge, where the headlight trim rings meet the fenders, would be a better mold section mating point, but maybe that makes things even harder to align?

No matter. The kit's custom wheel are gorgeous, so I'm 100% satisfied. ^_^