#21 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:29 AM

Might be some help here. This image is larger than shown here. Also, you may have discovered by now that this kit was originally intended to be motorized, with a battery box under the rear seat and some unnecessary gears that go into the engine block.

Posted Image

Skip......thank you for your reference photos........every piece of info: helps.......thank`s

#22 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

A bit more:

This is one of the 4 other of the Lauren car's sister cars built for the Birkin team. A few minor differences. I recommend adding the wheel weight cylinders (I made them from the kit's sprue bits).

Posted Image

This is the Lauren car's cockpit. You'll notice at the top center of the dash a knob that is shaped like an awl and has a coil spring around the shaft under the knob. This is for priming the gas. The steering wheel is wrapped in cord, like most of the Birkin Bentleys. And the aft-facing side of the seat back is carpet/fabric, not leather. You will also notice that Lauren's restoration has a semi-gloss finish to the painted fabric part of the body shell - it's not as flat as might be expected, or as I painted my kit. Also, Lauren has added a removable gray carpet on top of the aluminum floorboard. There are two horizontally mounted black cylinders just above the dash on the fabric cowling; these are map lights. In this shot, you will also see that the mesh stone guard in front of the windscreens is much finer than any of the other mesh. I recommend using a replacement coffee filter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regarding the kit, you've probably seen that the gauge faces are totally black. This is because the dials are on the other side of the decal, which is to be applied on the back side of the clear gauge lens part of the kit. You may want to make your own gauge lenses to get rid of the sink marks in the kit plastic.

The other side of the engine.

Posted Image

Another Blower Bentley. Note the cross-bracing between the firewall and the cowling. This car is painted closer to British Racing Green, whereas the Lauren car appears to be the sort of dark olive that was used on the Jaguar SS 100.

Posted Image

At this point, I would turn over any further questions to Harry, who knows even more detail than I do.

Edited by sjordan2, 30 November 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#23 vaughn

vaughn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Full Name:terry vaughn white

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

John...this will no doubt be another interesting master piece. where do you find the time ? I still have that Rolls Royce on the work bench from Nov. of last year, when you did the Star of India. Soon(thats what I keep telling myself) Lookin foward to seeing this in the making.

#24 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

Hello.......I got the gas tank finished in the rough.......I got some mesh fitted for the window screen......the frame is glued together.......I will hinge the door`s tomorrow.......thank you all for the pictures and the kind comment`s........and for looking.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

few more progress photo`s......thank`s
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,418 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Holy smokes, that chassis looks amazing already. Great scratch-building as always, John. Keep it going.

#27 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Really Nice Work John!!!

Edited by Ira, 30 November 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#28 Matt Bacon

Matt Bacon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Full Name:Matt

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

That's looking great, John! Awesome detailing on te fuel tank. My only nit-picking comment is that I would seriously consider some different mesh for the windscreen guard, as Skip suggests - you're supposed to be able to see through it when it's up... it's not armour!

all the best,
M.

#29 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

All I can say is Wow! Great job with that mesh. This is going to be really amazing project as always. I'll be watching. Your scratchbuilding skills are awesome, very impressive.

#30 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

I think i like your stock builds, you get every nut, bolt, and mesh exactly how it should go.................................reallllllllyyyy cant wait to see this one done............

#31 surfjunke

surfjunke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Ridley

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

Great work so far, John. Like your use of the brass mesh, great idea. Fine detail work. This should be another masterpiece, Love it!

#32 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:53 AM

John,
Although probably not stock, consider boxing the inner frame rails like a race car. This model gets very flimsy while gaining weight. And those fender attachments will require ingenuity.
Great project for you.

#33 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:23 AM

John,
Although probably not stock, consider boxing the inner frame rails like a race car. This model gets very flimsy while gaining weight. And those fender attachments will require ingenuity.
Great project for you.

Yes, someone with John's skill could replace the very fragile and flimsy fender struts and headlight brackets with stronger material. The cleaning lady snapped off three of my Bentley's fenders when lifting it to dust the bookshelf.

Edited by sjordan2, 01 December 2011 - 05:30 AM.

#34 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Durham

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

...........This car is painted closer to British Racing Green, whereas the Lauren car appears to be the sort of dark olive that was used on the Jaguar SS 100.

Skip.... I'm no expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.... but I was under the impression that "British Racing Green" was a generic term used during the early days to denote British racing cars. The actual green might vary between different manufacturers, (ie Lotus, BRM, Vanwall, etc. in the sixties) and even between the same manufacturer in different eras. So there is no actual "British Racing Green". Other countries had their own "National" racing colors.

Tony

#35 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:31 AM

Skip.... I'm no expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.... but I was under the impression that "British Racing Green" was a generic term used during the early days to denote British racing cars. The actual green might vary between different manufacturers, (ie Lotus, BRM, Vanwall, etc. in the sixties) and even between the same manufacturer in different eras. So there is no actual "British Racing Green". Other countries had their own "National" racing colors.

Tony

You're more correct than I am. It's sort of like "Bugatti Blue" and French racing blue - the shades are all over the place (though the original Bugatti Blue was supposedly chosen by Mrs. Bugatti to match the color of a pack of Gauloises cigarettes). The massive Schlumpf collection of Bugattis are finished in much darker blues, and even those shades vary. As for greens, I really meant to differentiate the darkness of the Lauren Bentley from lighter-colored racers. Here's a color sample from the 1937-38 Jaguar SS100 line, and while the quality of the image is not good, I'd say it's closer to the olive at the top.

Posted Image

#36 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Pugh

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

The cleaning lady snapped off three of my Bentley's fenders when lifting it to dust the bookshelf.

That's why my cleaning lady isn't allowed around my models! :lol:

#37 Matt Bacon

Matt Bacon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Full Name:Matt

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Indoors, the Lauren Bentley looks almost black...

or at least it did in Paris this Summer!

bestest,
M.

#38 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

for some more reference if you have Model cars Mag issue #118 Francisco Pulido Luque Scratchbuilt this very same car and for the first few pages has some interesting facts and techniacal data about the car and some pics of how he built his.

#39 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hello.......after Matt had mentioned that the mesh on my windshield looked like armour.......I too, thought it didn`t look right......so I changed it and used some of Greg Wann`s screen that he gave me.......hope it look`s better?.......thank`s Matt and Greg........I hinged the door`s...... they are in the rough I need to fiil in the gap`s and make door panel`s ,handles and lock`s.......a few people had asked how I hinged my door`s on my 'Star Of India" Roll`s.......well I am no expert but,I posted pictures to show how I do it......thank`s for looking.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:09 PM