Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 GMC step side/ 72 Chevy short bed updates (02/04/12)

What's up fellas I've been fooling around with these two today, taking a little break from the drag builds for a sec. I have a 72 GMC step side I picked up at the show in Smyrna, it will be a box stock build with some added detailing, pegasus wheels/and rotors. The 72 short bed is a build I had started a while back and just lost interest,the chassis/engine are from the r/m prostreet Chevelle kit, M/T tires and wheels are from the snap dually kit, thanks for looking and comments welcome...

034.jpg

035.jpg

027.jpg

031.jpg

033.jpg

Edited by tyrone

Thanks for the coments fellas, well I've been working on the engines for both trucks I'll start with the tubbed out fleetside first, I used the engine from the prostreet Chevelle kit, and an intake from a nascar engnie, I'll probably go with a dominator car, and some mild detailing on this one, wired dist, braided hoses and such , maybe a plate nos system, in case somebody wants to try me...lol...thanks for looking,,

039.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

Edited by tyrone

Thanks Joe I appreciate it.

Greg, I did'nt do anything special, I just measured the amount to cut off and made the cuts with the back side of a hobby knife blade, kind of messed up a little on the rh side towards the bottom, it was'nt really straight, so I added a few pieces of styrene, other than that it was pretty smooth, thanks for looking..

So you just cut from the front of the bed? The reason I ask is I've had several of these in 1:1 and I know that the shortbeds have length taken out both in front of the wheel and also behind it. I have this same kit and I'm planning on shortening the bed. I couldn't see where you made your cuts and it was throwing me off. B)

Greg I'm sorry for not clarifying, but the section I cut off was from the front, I did'nt think about cutting any from the rear, show's how much I know...lol... but I'm satisfied with it. I'm debating on removing one or both top and bottom moldings from the sides, thanks again Greg...

Edited by tyrone

I really like that little short bed Chevy Tyrone! The wheels look sharp on it! Are those from the '37 Ford convertible? You have your work cut out for you on the '72 GMC. They need a lot of work on the hood to get them to look right. I had to add styrene to the sides to fill the gap and the front to raise it up to where it would line up with the tops of the fenders. The beds also need work to get rid of the dog taking a poop look.

These look nice. Interesting idea to use the 67 Chevelle Pro Street chassis. The wheels on the fleetside make it look a little dated, though; kinda mid-90's. Plowboy, he said those wheels and tires from the snap dually kit.

love them both...just to kewl to pass this thread up!

im working on the 72 p/u rides edition myself...going to be a shortbed (which i have the ref to ..so you dont destroy the funky curve in the bedside and all the measurments) just need to get some projects out of the way! -_-

this is what i am going for myself!

72chevyc10exteriorandwheels.jpg

Edited by bandit1