VW Beetle with rust and roofrack
Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:50 AM
I got this kit from evilBay. It's a Revell (Germany) kit, from 1987 and moulded in pink.
I don't have any real knowledge of VW Bugs, so I bought a magazine and had a good look at what's in vogue, within the VW community.
It seems patina, roofracks, Fuchs rims and lowered suspension are the way to go....
I drilled tiny holes through the ends of the torsion bars into the hubs, so that when I cut, pinned and rejoined them, they would line up. I repeated this on the other end of the torsion bars, where they turned 90 degrees towards the chassis.
I put fine brass wire into the holes after the parts were cut. This enabled the geometry of the suspension to remain true and gave me a bit more control when I was cementing the parts together.
I adjusted the rear suspension by rotating the suspension arms and bending the drive shafts with my fingers.
The kit tyres were a bit too tall for my liking and would've rubbed on the arches after the suspension was moved, so I exchanged them for some from my parts box:
I had to re-cut most of the panel lines, as they were vague at best. Some were not even there to begin with....
I sprayed the body with brown paint and a bit of red oxide primer. I reckoned this would look ok when i rubbed through the colour coat:
More pics soon...
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:01 PM
Also, I added some louvres to the engine cover, using resin parts cast onto decal paper. You can get these from Archer Fine Transfers:
Despite the shortcomings of this kit, it has some nice features, even though the inner doors are blank, the dashboard is nice:
I made a bit of 'duct tape' to fix a rip on the dirty back seat:
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:13 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:14 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:29 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:33 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:34 PM
Here are some more pics:
I made the stinger pipe from plumbers solder and the ferrule from a small paintbrush:
The rust looks ok. I did it a bit at a time, using reference photos for the right areas to treat.
I made a roofrack from brass rod. I tried to use an elctric soldering iron, but it was rubbish, so I switched to a flame to solder the rods with silver solder.
I messed up the window installation last night. I used too much epoxy and got it all over the glass. I'll fix it tomorrow, when the epoxy has gone hard. Luckily I'm using smoked acetate and I've got almost a whole sheet left....phew!
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:40 PM
Yes Jim, it is. It had some wild intake scoops as well as some odd looking nerf bars. There were some very dated 80's graphics on the decal sheet. They were horrible!
Roof rack - yes. Rust - NO Isn't that the VW street machine kit?
As for rust, well, like I said, it seems a patina is quite desirable amongst the Bug fraternity. I'm going to add a surfboard and plaster the rear glass with surf logo stickers, which will kinda give it a good reason to be rusty. Also, from the little I do know about bugs, it would appear that rust goes hand in hand with owning a bug!!
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:45 PM
I drilled holes thru the roof for added strength and used CA to fix it in place.
I then cut the corners from an old sheet of photoetch and glued them to the legs where they meet the drip rail, to look like clamps. PE boltheads finish the look. More photos soon, when the light is better.
Here's one angle I like, though:
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:47 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:53 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:50 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:21 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:37 PM
Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:12 PM
What did you build the rack out of?
Edited by henry57, 06 December 2011 - 08:00 AM.
Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:18 PM
Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:13 AM
yeah... I toyed with the idea of removing the arch extensions...but i like the added width they give. I've seen bugs with narrowed front suspension and i like the way they look, so i decided to keep the flares.
it's coming along nicely and looks convincing enough.... but those flared wheelarches mean that those mudguards would have been fiberglas, not steel... no rust. crusty gelcoat, maybe, even crazed and cracked 'glass.... but it looks great as you've done it.
I tried to keep the rubbing to a minimum on the extensions, as i figured these would be GRP or similar and would not rust.
I've got to find a rearview mirror in my parts box, only so i can hang an 'aloha' garland from it. i reckon cut up rizla paper and some ink could make it look convincing.
i've made some wipers as these are not present on the body and a bullet shaped door mirror. I'll add some eyelids made from alu sheet to the headlights