#141 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Adam Cordoza Cortez

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

Im going to assume almost everyone will enjoy this picutre and link. Some good Gasser action here....

http://www.streetleg...heels-up-action

#142 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Wow, such controversy :lol: Christopher has the right idea, a "gasser" has a certain toughness, and a definite "vibe". To those around drag racing in the 60's, a real gasser is immediately identifiable. While this is a neat car, it is NOT a gasser, and typical of what some people label as a gasser. It is a "highrider". That is what we called street cars like this in the 60's. Posted Image

As has been said, traditional gassers were small, light coupes, originally made in the 40's, with ( usually ) big engines. I know there are exceptions, but the formula was normally the lightest body with the biggest engine. When NHRA changed the frame regulations from "original" to something else I cant remember, traditional gassers were dead. Mustangs and ' Cudas never had full frames, however the Malco Gasser is a great example of the change that led to the death of the original concept. The "El Padrone" Opel is also a good example of the crossover to a close cousin of the funny cars ( complete with turbo ) which changed the class. Maybe we should ask the Doc if he meant "traditional or vintage" versus "nostalgia" as they aint the same! ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Draggon, 26 May 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#143 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Full Name:Bart Huyett

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

You know... I have to say that I have learned a lot from all the discussion that has been going on around what a "Gasser" is and how much they have changed over the years.

I would also like to say that, even if I was one of the Ignorant ones, I would rather be better informed of what a TRUE Gasser is. So that I wouldn't be making that mistake going forward and continue to label something that it isn't. That would show True Ignorance. At least now if I hear the word gasser, I can at least speak intelligently about them going forward and not just lump the class into something it isn't.

#144 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:40 AM

I just looked at this thread today (dollar short and day late as usual) and this argument about gassers is interesting.

I have always disliked it when people use the term "gasser" generically or insist that a gasser is one particular thing. Is a "car" a 1886 Benz Velo or a Bugatti Veyron? There is a lot of ground to cover so you need to define things a little better. Gassers changed a lot over the years from their start in the 50s. If you have a point in time and are correct for that time, it is a gasser. In the 80s many racers took pro-stocks and changed the cubic inch to weight ratio of the car and ran in gas class. These current nostalgia "gassers" are bracket cars. They are cool and fast but class cars run flat-out and keep on trying to go faster. Bracket cars don't.

What definitely are NOT gassers are anything like that blue and white Plymouth wagon that I always see online. That thing makes me sick. What a waste of cool parts. It is a Street Freak(a term from the 70s for those kinds of cars). If the guy who built it is getting his jollies, that is fine. That 4 door Fairlane in the one video is pretty ###### strange. NOT A GASSER!!!!! My beat up 66 Chevelle ran almost as fast back in the late 70s!!

The thing that also bugs me is when people see an altered and call it a gasser. I know that not everyone can know everything and I have probably sounded that stupid when I am looking at armour or aircraft but I just wanted to vent. too!!

#145 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

I think, those new cars what run in A/G, B/G, C/G, D/G, or AA/GS, they are today's "Gassers". But are they really NOSTALGIA Gassers? :huh: I think, that they are bit like Modern Gassers, but not Nostalgia.

Whatever, they are nice.

Here's one '56 Chevrolet, which I hope, qualifies as a Gasser. :wacko:

Posted Image

#146 Kustom Rodder

Kustom Rodder

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Full Name:mike hall

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

You betcha tuff lookin 56.

#147 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Very Good point, Dave! When comparing into Nostalgia Top Fuel, I'm starting to believe, that Dave's Gassers belong here, in this post.

Thanks for making this subject clear. :)

#148 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

For me it's about the bodys. The "old" style cars were built from real cars and looked like what they were. These new "things" with the front ends laid back and everything molded in and swooped together with a big ugly aluminum box on the rear don't even look like a car, at least no this side of Toon Town.

#149 MODERATOR

MCM Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Full Name:Model Cars Magazine Moderator

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Gentlemen, I understand vintage gassers and the modern gas class. There seems to be a problem of definition Please post, but do it with more respect for others. If someone is not "understanding" you, use a PM. Thank you -- Moderator

#150 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

you know what mr. moderator,......you're right. my apolgies for the sarcasm. i don't really need sarcasm to poke holes in this. facts do the work for me.

the whole idea the gasser definition is muddled was only created by you gluhead. gassers are a class in the nhra(the gas coupes and sedans). they have rules and regulations. to be a gasser the car must fit the rules and regulations....bar none. if the car didn't fit the rules, it didn't race. what gluhead would have you believe is there are no rules governing this like a rat rod or a street machine. that just isn't so. while defining a ratrod or a street machine may be ambiguous at best. gassers have distinct guidelines. ask terry or glenn. defining a gasser is easy. if it carries a "G" in it's class designation, it's a gasser. whether it's a nostalgia gasser, vintage gasser seems to be an issue here. oh, and gassers are race cars. that's why they are gassers. not saying you couldn't build a street car in the gasser tradition. gassers are race cars. the definition is not a subjective term it is clearly a definable term. at the end of gluheads second post he clearly attempts to define what he's talking about...... "60's gasser type stuff". if the post would read 60's gasser type stuff, i wouldn't be here posting. i does however read "nostalgia gasser inspiration". that is why i posted. the cars i posted are "nostalgia gassers". each and everyone. they belong here as much as or actually more than "vintage gassers" do. i'm not saying don't post your vintage gassers (like i'm being told not to post my nostalgia gassers, by the way) i'm simply saying those of you who keep saying i can't or shouldn't post these cars here are incorrect!

edit: here's a thought. why don't you start a thread called " vintage gasser" or 60's gasser type stuff" ? you would get all of the correct cars you are looking for.

I am not taking this personally, Mr. Smith, but this type of thread will get a warning shot. Attack me all you want, but be respectful to other forum member, guys! Use PMs to express yourself to another specific member. -- Moderator

I hafta agree with you Dave as many builders use the term "gasser" very loosely and on another forum they tend to use 'muscle car" very loosely also as I've seen them post Camaros (pony car), Ferrari's & Corvettes (sports cars), and even a '49 Merc (custom) under the Muscle Car listing. What gives?

#151 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

It seems that "gassers" died when Ford made Ohio George build his Mustang.

#152 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

You know, things change as time go on, and thats fine. I'm sure I'd get a kick watching these cars run. But calling them gassers today is like Axl Rose calling his current band Guns and Roses. The name should have died.

#153 SPIKE426

SPIKE426

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Full Name:ROBERT DAWS

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#154 gascansam

gascansam

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Jost

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

:angry: .....and I'm the Big Bad Wolf!..........

Attached Files

#155 Brudda

Brudda

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Tanaka

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

This is some really cool stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

#156 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

Love the red '63 Nova! l'd like a better look at the '63 Fury in the background too!

#157 Dave Mikrut

Dave Mikrut

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Mikrut

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

I am currently building a model of my 1:1 gasser, "Stormy Monday". I was hoping to have it done by the Toledo NNL this year but I will not be able to make it there this year. So here's some foto's of Stormy, and some of my model, which has a straight axle which I hope to maybe have some day on my real 55 hehe!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#158 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

Dave, beautiful inspiration with the 1:1 and a wonderful scale addition to your collection. Thank you for sharing.

#159 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

Wow! I just read through all 9 pages of this thread and I'm physically exhausted! :lol:

I wish individual posts had a "like" button as Facebook does because there are a few on here that I, well, like because the poster gets it. I hope you all know who you are.

I agree with several on here and feel that "modern nostalgia cars" (Now there's an oxymoron for you!) whether they be "gassers" or "top fuel" cars, bear little to no resemblance to what they are called. I'd rather see the real thing in a museum or on the show field that one of these modern fakes going down the race track. But that's just me.

One other thing that has only been touched upon slightly is that Corvettes and Austin Healys, etc. are not gassers. The full name of the class back then was "Gas Coupes and Sedans". Corvettes were considered "sports cars" and were not eligible for the gas classes. If you look closely at some of the photos posted here you can see the class designation /MSP which stood for "Modified Sports". I know, I know, they have that "gasser vibe" and that's fine, but for those of you who like to build for accuracy, for the gas classes, Corvettes are out!

#160 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for all the good information, Drew. Delighted you enjoyed it.