Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Mercury

JustBill

I'm calling this one "Forever Undecided"! Well... I finally decided. This is the Revell special edition '49 Mercury custom coupe. Its a wonderful kit and I will be getting a few more. I was at Carlisle two years ago. It was the beginning of the day. I saw this kit sitting sealed on one of the vender tables for ten bucks. I picked it up and looked it over and set it back down. I wasn't sure if I wanted it or not and then have to carry it around all day, plus I knew there were thousands of other kits available I still hadn't looked through yet. If you've never been to Carlisle they have hundreds of venders and thousands of models at good prices. I never leave empty handed. So I walked around the rest of the day thinking about this kit. On my way out the guy still had it so I bought it. I got it home and opened her up. This is a really nice kit with lots of details and options. I decided I was gona build a detailed version. Around the same time I was also into slot car racing. Guys I was racing with wanted to start a 1/25 league. So when I got home I saw this kit and decided to build a slot car out of it. I chopped away at the chassis and started installing a motor pod and such. Well the slot car thing never happened. So I packed it back into the box. My model room flooded over the summer and I haven't been doing any building. The withdraw got to me so I decided that I would take a kit on a make shift table and build a curb side. This kit came to mind knowing the chassis was all cut up.

So here it is. Hod Rod Gray Primer with dull coat. Wheels are from my parts box.

DSC06301-vi.jpgDSC06304-vi.jpgDSC06298-vi.jpg

Thanks for the complement Doc. I don't think its nowhere near magazine worthy though. I think my BMF is going bad on me. It gave me fits and doesn't want to seem to stick. As far as the interior goes you have to stick it under your pillow and kiss it good night every night for a week! I took and black washed the low spots then sanded it with some 600grit and then hit it with some Testers semi gloss. The white is just the plastic. I used Detail Master flocking for the carpet.

I'm surprised at how detailed the kit is and it doesn't have any interior door handles or window cranks.

I hear ya on the Bare Metal Foil. I've had issues with it in the past. One thing worth mentioning.....it sticks to gloss paint better than primers, or dull coats. I've heard where some builders brush a little clear gloss acrylic over the dull primer on any trim that gets BMF, then apply the foil over that once it's dry. Worth a try, huh?

Mike

I hear ya on the Bare Metal Foil. I've had issues with it in the past. One thing worth mentioning.....it sticks to gloss paint better than primers, or dull coats. I've heard where some builders brush a little clear gloss acrylic over the dull primer on any trim that gets BMF, then apply the foil over that once it's dry. Worth a try, huh?

Mike

There ya go!!! That is prolly the answer right there!! I did not know that but it makes sense to me. I thank you very much for passing that info along sir. That's the kind of thing that keeps us going as a community. Thanks again man!!