#182 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

All the Vantasy kit needs to build a stock panel van are two stock seats and a set of stock (non hi performance) tires. The open steelie wheels and dog dish hubcaps are in the kit. Maybe one of our resident resin casters might consider doing a set of those stock seats...!

#183 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

All the Vantasy kit needs to build a stock panel van are two stock seats and a set of stock (non hi performance) tires.

..and some porthole window filler pieces, and you'll need to add the roof ribs. The smooth roof not only sticks out like a sore thumb, but would be near-impossible even on a 1:1 van, short of getting out the English roller and creating an all new roof panel. You would be better off using the separate roof piece from Revell's 1/25 scale kit, and extending it to match the AMT kit's long wheelbase, if you want to make an accurate stock van out of the AMT kit.

#184 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

The portholes are not cut open in this issue.

Oops, you're correct. It looks like the AMT kit suffers from the same lack of roof overhang at the front issue the Monogram Chevy van does, but the Revell roof would fix that. ;)

#185 Jim Whalen

Jim Whalen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Full Name:Dr James Whalen

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the posts guys,  I've just got this kit as a Christmas present and have a had a good read through this thread.  Was thinking of painting it candy green to go with the green decals until I saw the post about the decals and was reassured when I saw the corrected version.  I then checked the ones in my kit and they are the incorrect version - so I haved decided to go with candy purple to save the hassle of ordering new decals.  Painting the model green and then finding the decals to be incorrect would have been really frustrating.

Its at times like this that one really appreciates these forums where people put up their findings/views about kits!

Cheers,

Jim

#186 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I want a couple of these. Just wish they would have given us the Window van option from

WAY Back when!!!!

And what about the Open Road Mini Motor Home option This one had Way back too??

#187 Ridgeback

Ridgeback

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Full Name:Darren Maxton

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:14 AM

'Kiss' Custom Chevy van

71kiss10.jpg

#188 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

With the 'Rescue Van' version being reissued soon, I'd love to see Round 2 restore the tooling for the Open Road camper van version..never had that one.

#189 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

With the 'Rescue Van' version being reissued soon, I'd love to see Round 2 restore the tooling for the Open Road camper van version..never had that one.

Same here

#190 b_lever1

b_lever1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Full Name:bob leverington

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Whats with the Dirty Donnie Van, May not be appropiate for younger children? I still like both of them I have been wanting the chevy van for a while now.

some of those children are here because of a van mine are 

#191 Jonathan

Jonathan

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Herring

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Bringing this back from the nearly dead....

If I were to attempt to add the roof ribs to the AMT Vantasy kit, what size of half-round do you think I should use?  I'm thinking I can add some Plastruct 1/2 round strips to replicate the missing ribbing on the roof.  Any thoughts?

thanks!

#192 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Bringing this back from the nearly dead....

If I were to attempt to add the roof ribs to the AMT Vantasy kit, what size of half-round do you think I should use?  I'm thinking I can add some Plastruct 1/2 round strips to replicate the missing ribbing on the roof.  Any thoughts?

I would use rectangular strip, with the two long edges/corners rounded over slightly after they've been glued in place. I'll see if I have any close-up pics of the roof ribs, but going by what I remember from looking over a '71, the ribs are more like a flattened half-hex shape, if that makes any sense. Upside down, but like this---> \___/

chevy_van_2012_03.jpg

#193 Jonathan

Jonathan

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Herring

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

That makes sense.  What size do you think I'd need in 1/25?  I suppose I'd use the square stuff...?

#194 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

That makes sense.  What size do you think I'd need in 1/25?  I suppose I'd use the square stuff...?

I know at least one member has a G-series van and might he/she or anyone else who owns one might be willing to measure the ribs for you. I would use rectangular styrene strip, though, not square.