193 replies to this topic

#161 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Good question..don't know if I ever noticed the difference..I didn't use the decals when I built mine as a kid 30+ years ago..

Rob or anyone else who bought and opened their kit- do all the kits have this decal error, and has anyone bought it to Round2's attention?

#162 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

The Round parts Under the circled Pins are where those Pins mount to hold the rim/tire.
(Between the Spindle [yellow] & Plastic axle rod [pink]).
The Round part/Brake drum-disc is glued to the Spindle.
You can glue it almost anywhere up or down the side of the spindle.
There are slots for square/straight mounting on the drum/disc.
I can Just make them out. They are in-line with the sprue that are connected to.

You are looking at the Side/Edge of the Spindle in that pic.
the 'Z' tab is the tie-rod location.

I have built a few of these, so know them well.

#163 Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Forrester

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yes, I posted about it on the Spotlight board and Tom has said he's e-mailed them about it.

Say what you like about the guy but he has the ear of the model companys and in a situation like this he gets things corrected.

+1

Not to derail this topic, but......

Tom Lowe is good in my book. I was in contact with him (via email) in the past, and I can assure you, he's conscientious and WANTS to deliver the products we've been longing for......ESPECIALLY the nostalgic automotive model kits we've been getting lately. It really erks me when I see some people bash or bad mouth the new re-releases from Round2, here on the board or elsewhere. At 45 years old, and a life-long modeler, I've watched our modeling hobby practically die in the 90's due to lack of interest AND lack of a desirable 'product' (blame diecast if it makes you happy), and it excites me to see some of these old model kits released once again. If you can't see WHY this is a great thing, you're beyond help. Big deal, maybe it's an old tool and a "chassis doesn't fit well", or "drip rails and panel lines are faint"......waaaaa!......please, take this opportunity to brush up on your modeling skills, and celebrate the fact that our hobby is enjoying a bit of a resurrection, AND that people like Tom Lowe and Round2 (and Revell, Trumpeter, and Mobius even!) are STILL producing plastic model kits, and even tooling up BRAND NEW KITS as well! Seriously, stop complaining, and get building!

.....that's it. I'm off my soapbox, and I won't entertain any backlash or banter on this. I feel how I feel, and now that I've shared it, I'm done.

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66, 04 February 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#164 Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

I honestly think they should have fixed the drip rails instead of removing those roof ribs, the tooling could use more of a clean up and resto.

This IS a resto.......the Candy Van, Sunchaser, etc., didn't have roof-ribs OR side-ribs. Round2 did exactly what they set out to.....back-date the tool and re-release the old Chevy Van kit. Being a builder, not a collector, I've watched the old unbuilt kits escalate in value for years now. I'm glad my search is over. Now I can buy these in quantity for a fraction of the price, and build away! :)

Mike

#165 Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Um ,, Mike, what does that have to do with my post?

I only ask because you quoted it. Sorry, I just don't understand what you're getting at here. I. in no way was bashing or criticizing the kit.

Sorry Steve......I'm fully agreeing with you and your original post. Hence, the "+1" I started my post with. My response wasn't aimed at you. It was just a general "HEY GUYS, C'mon!".......Sorry for any confusion. :huh:

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66, 04 February 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#166 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

so; which Evergreen strip will it take to recreate the drip rail? i'd like to have a couple of Vans for the collection, great California rake and big-n-little Cragars with full length showpipes and panel paint jobs....

#167 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'd say around .010 square rod as a rough guestamate.

#168 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

THAT'S the way.

#169 stulee11

stulee11

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Full Name:stuart lee

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

I'm planning out a build-up of the new Vantasy, and eye-balling the decal sheets. I'd thought of doing a Candy/Emerald Green paintjob, and using the green panel decals........until......??.........my decal sheet has two passenger-side green panels!!......no driver's side. One of the decals has a cut-out for the sliding side door handle, and the other doesn't. Has AMT since revised this, or, are all of them this way?

.....compare the green panels to the correctly-printed purple/pink versions below them on the same sheet in the pic.

Mike

Posted Image

i got my vantasy today and my decals are the same as yours... its a shame because i liked the green ones

#170 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,412 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

It will be interesting to see what people end up doing with these decals over time.

#171 Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

It will be interesting to see what people end up doing with these decals over time.

I might add - the decals have a matte finish, unlike the gloss-coated decals supplied in previous years. They are noticeably thinner as a result. The new Gremlin kit comes with matte-finished decals as well. They look GREAT under clearcoat.....very crisp, vivid, and FLAT. If you plan to apply them OVER finish, you may want to spritz them with a little clear first. Something to consider as you're planning your paint job and build. Personally, I clearcoat over decals, so these are a welcome surprise.

Mike

#172 Shelbytona

Shelbytona

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Full Name:Randy High

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Just thought i'd show what this kit can be built up as. I had a blast building it and the decals are awesome that come in this kit! :D

Oh, my decals are wrong on the green mural as well... lets hope they fix this.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#173 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Is the grille molded completely closed?

#174 Shelbytona

Shelbytona

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Is the grille molded completely closed?

Yes it is.. There's a slight mold line on where it should be open, in the four spots If you want to black wash that part or attempt to cut it open.

Edited by Shelbytona, 21 February 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#175 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

Randy, beautiful work. Nice model. Congrats. I love the color on it and the way you've added all the right graphics. Excellent.

#176 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Wow, it looked beautiful on my smartphone, now that I'm on a desk top it looks even better!

#177 Shelbytona

Shelbytona

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Thanks DC and Billy Joe. I can't wait to see more of these done with some wild paint jobs and the decals! Has anybody notified AMT about the decal problem?

#178 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

I just got the kit today, and the green graphics appear to have been corrected.

#179 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Chuck, I saw all the wonderful new kits you got. Good for you. Can't wait to see how you put them through the CM imaginatrix! ;)

#180 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Posted Image
Here we are- as you can see- proper left and right side graphics for the green bars.