Callin' It "DONE" Another first build in years....Revell Kenworth (snap)

• You cannot reply to this topic
67 replies to this topic

#1 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Stiles

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

Finally getting started again after a looooong break away from building,starting out with something a lil' simple and also trying some new things that I have learned with all the awesome builds and tips from all the members here..Thanks everyone.....please by all means comment,good,bad,ugly,or indifferent,because I am open to all advise and or ideas...thanks for looking.. Posted Image Things sure have changed since last build....mainly the eyes!!! :blink: Posted Image The kit....Actually a nice kit for the $$$ and being a "snapper" Posted Image Color choice.....have this weird love for purple and orange together :)
Posted Image

Edited by Badluck 13, 06 May 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#2 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:26 AM

.....A lil' more........
Posted Image

Posted Image
Didn't care for the one piece fan/shroud assy....
Posted Image

Posted Image
Making the seams disappear....
Posted Image
Not crazy about the wheels,the dish looks a little shallow....but hey... ;)

#3 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

Looks like you're off to a good start. Yes, the wheels & tires are probably the worst part of the kit.

#4 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

The following pics are of the engine,trying plumbing and wiring for the first time,this is where I am not sure about location and such so any advice or comments here would be very helpful....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
More later,this will be a sloooooow project due to work,being a single dad and Baby Girl's bowling,yes it looks like I may have a Lil' future PBA champ!! B)

#5 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

Nice progress on the engine. This might help with wiring it: http://public.fotki....july_1991_cate/ , but it looks like you've done a good job without it.

#6 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

Nice progress on the engine. This might help with wiring it: http://public.fotki....july_1991_cate/ , but it looks like you've done a good job without it.

SWEET!!!!,Jim thanks so much for the link!!!,cuz I couldn't find good shots for some of the other plumbing,this will get me rollin' so I can finish up the engine!!!!...Thanks again!

#7 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

No problem. That's a good site for reference material.

#8 Truck parts

Truck parts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Full Name:gordon d.dickerson

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

I love the colors you picked out. The motor also looks good..

#9 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Full Name:Jaroslav Tulacek

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

This looks like a very good start. I like your attitude. A lot of poeple do not care about the seams but they always downgrade otherwise good model. And even a simple plumbing gets the model to a higher level. The old CM articles are great help. I usually spend hours searching the net and hount pictures of the engines to find out the way they are plumbed and how the things are attached. Truckpapaer is a good source of these pics but it takes time to find what you need. Good luck with your build.

#10 mackinac359

mackinac359

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Ahlborn

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:37 AM

Nice detail work.

Tim

#11 pete3522

pete3522

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Robert

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:15 AM

lookin good!! its a shame on these trucks they dont mold the fuel tanks in one piece so you dont have to deal with these seams

#12 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

....Got just a lil' more done on the Kenworth....vety little :huh: Need to take tips from Baby Girl,Also like to thank Anthony Oteri for heads up on "Sophisticated Finishes" for the "Rust" tip!!!.....as always comments welcomed,good,bad,indifferent ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Much happier with the exhaust results compaired when I always painted them "New never fired"look,still need more practice at it.
Posted Image
More to come...............eventually :lol:

#13 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Finally getting started again after a looooong break away from building,starting out with something a lil' simple and also trying some new things that I have learned with all the awesome builds and tips from all the members here..Thanks everyone.....please by all means comment,good,bad,ugly,or indifferent,because I am open to all advise and or ideas...thanks for looking.. Posted Image Things sure have changed since last build....mainly the eyes!!! :blink: Posted Image The kit....Actually a nice kit for the $$$ and being a "snapper" Posted Image Color choice.....have this weird love for purple and orange together :)
Posted Image

Alright Mike! Yes the eyes ARE different, aren't they? Man, when I got back to this hobby about a year ago I couldn't see clearly enough up close. It was a lot better some 30 odd years ago! I got the glasses and everything's good again.

So about those wheels, you should have a look at what Tim Ahlborn did with a similar "snap" Peterbilt 359. See it on the www.timstrucks.com in the "workbench" section, it really is a nice piece. He changed the kit wheels for two hole buds with resin tires, it does a nice job. Keep at it man it's really coming along!

#14 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

It's actually the first time I can say that rust looks good! I like your detailing...

#15 M0par Jim

M0par Jim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Wait till you start spraying that orange. I used that same kind of a GL project I have that I been working on. The photos will be hard to get the orange captured (LOL). It's a very beautiful orange though. I also like your project as well. You got my attention.

#16 Old Albion

Old Albion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:32 AM

Mike,

I like the interior details and the dash especially, that looks great. Also that rusty manifold on the engine looks very realistic. I may try that on a future build. Such a simple snap kit, but yet with a bit of imagination it can be transformed into a very inrteresting truck. Very Nice work!!

Dave

#17 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

OK, the purple and orange is going to be a wild paintjob... I can't wait to see it!

#18 Guest_Jethro_*

Guest_Jethro_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Lets see some more!

#19 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Small progress on the Kenny,got the"Yellow" plumbed and installed and "dirtied"up....my first try at it,comments,advice,good,bad,or ugly welcome.......
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
More to come...slowly....very slowly.....need to start body work on cab next so I can get some coloer on it....thanks for lookin'

#20 Inky

Inky

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Full Name:Shawn Yandall

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

Glad I found this thread, I too am starting this build and was wanting to know all the detail for the engine, now I know. Your build is looking good.