MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Full Name:Rob

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

One more thing-

Posted Image

....Because you never know- we might have been spelling it wrong all along!

#2622 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

I started the buffalo kit, appropriately named The Collector.

The military guys were all anxious and happy to see me working on armor when I took the box out of the bag.

Then I showed them my plans and they literally cussed me out saying its blasphemous and unethical to the military men and women who served and my goal was terrorist minded and blah blah...

I smiled and looked at them and politely said "...which is why I'm doing it. Perhaps a candy paint and cragars would justify my decision to build my model the way I intend.". (for the record, this is not what I intend). They turned red with anger.

The guy said I would never be able to compete at contests, in which my response was "see you at the tables."

Some people just don't know how to be creative. And I get the feeling they won't know how to respond when it beats their cookie cutter builds.

Being an avid armor builder, I can wholly relate to this Mark. My goal is building one example of every tank the Marine Corps ever used. Now that said, I have stocked up on Shermans for WWII and Korea. Each one is different, each is painted differently, and all are poo pooed at my local show. The "experts" all agree these are what if builds as certainly there is no proof that existed. When confronted by my references, books, photos, etc. I am scoffed at.

I recently entered my TZH pick up in a local show. The staff about lost it. I will never attend this event again as this kind of mentality is not for me.

Keep at it bro.

G

#2623 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

Wayne, close minded people exist in all hobbies, all walks of life . . . that's how it goes and you can let them get you discouraged. Period. It's a great big world out there with room for everyone, so yes, I agree with you, we must keep at it.

Rob, the Alpacalypse is way too funny. Of course, none would end up with such pristine coats. LOL.

#2624 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

I recently entered my TZH pick up in a local show. The staff about lost it. I will never attend this event again as this kind of mentality is not for me.

I feel very fortunate that I have never witnessed this kind of thing. And I sure have set some strange and heavily armed vehicles on the tables over the years.

#2625 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

Rob, I think your experience is also the norm for me. I think most folks like looking at different, out of the norm models.

#2626 plasticbutcher

plasticbutcher

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Bowerman

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

'Dr. Cranky' timestamp='1336822882' post='693560']
Wayne, close minded people exist in all hobbies, all walks of life . . . that's how it goes and you can let them get you discouraged. Period. It's a great big world out there with room for everyone, so yes, I agree with you, we must keep at it.

That is why I enjoy the club I am in, we all think out side the box--some are WAY out side the box but we like it that way, and we are not "rivet counters" . This is a hobby where you can express your self in your build. and I want to say all of you are doing some great work, please carry on Thank you for the eye candy

#2627 ZombieHunter26

ZombieHunter26

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Ok, so I've gotten some progress done on the TZH dio- even though this is going to be a photo op base for any other builds it is appropriate for...

The base (for now) is a sheet of styrene that will be tacked down to a piece of plywood with epoxy later on to keep it rigid. Underneath the dirt flocking is a sheet of plastruct craters, cut into sections to fit in strategic points about the base. I took some aluminum screening and put up fencing around two sides of the outpost tower, and glued down some N scale retaining walls (which actually come out to be perfect scale for regular brick in 1:24) that I busted the tops off of. I laid down a liberal portion of white glue (I have a 32oz bottle, so no worries :P) about the base, covering the entire ground section. I sifted a moderate amount of my 'harvested' sand flock onto the glue, and let it sit for about 15 minutes to settle enough for the next step.

I took my flat camo tan rattle can and misted the dirt until it was saturated- the pressure kicked up some spots to give the ground a rocky texture so I was happy about that- and also covered the retaining walls, barbwire, and piping with paint as well. I let it sit for a bit, then gave it a liberal coat of flat clear to hold the texture once it dried.

As it was drying I sprinkled the rest of my sand flock into the crevices to add more texture. After it was dried overnight, I tilted the base in all directions to remove the excess flock.

Here's what I got so far-
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I will be adding more detail bits here and there, some rubble, some bunches of dried grass, a tumbleweed mayhaps...

And of course I have to get some figures for it. It's far from done in my eyes, but it's coming along nicely!

EDIT: The vehicle in the picture is there for size comparison- 1:24 scale Toyota Sprinter Trueno- I will be using many different vehicles in this particular piece.

Edited by ZombieHunter26, 12 May 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#2628 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Lordy, I love that terrain, you've got a good feel to that one, Rob. Nice eye candy and I can see you feeling young again playing in the dirt. Wait, you ARE young. LOL.

#2629 ZombieHunter26

ZombieHunter26

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Haha, yeah I guess you're right about that... makes me go back about 15 years when I used to set up dioramas for my 1/6 scale Joes...

But I never did make 'em this nice LOL

#2630 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

NICE!

G

#2631 ronr

ronr

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Full Name:Ron "Pops" Royston

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is a little progress on "The Vindicator". I was not happy with the first paint so in the tank it went. Twin Mini guns up front, Roof mounted .45 cal turrent and a slide out.50 cal in the back. Still have several things to do along with some weathering:

Edited by ronr, 12 May 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#2632 ronr

ronr

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Full Name:Ron "Pops" Royston

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Just a few more shots. Sort of happy with the Camo:

#2633 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Here is a little progress on "The Vindicator".

Posted Image

#2634 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

Ron, I love it. I copied the pictures to the next TZH SQUAD video update. Great build.

#2635 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Here's some Sunday inspiration:

Posted Image

#2636 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Some more:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a picture of the first THZ SQUAD CARAVAN back in 2005/2006:

Posted Image

#2637 treadhead

treadhead

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Full Name:Shannon Eugene Patterson

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream
Well here are the update pics of the viper. I got the gun made for thr turret, chassis assembled to body, wheels and tires added although there was a problem with passenger rear,and have looked thru the spares for a few more additions. Thinking about closing up the cockpit as I cannot find the right looking driver. I was planning on posing this on a small base with the driver standing next to the vehicle. I was looking for a race driver or motorcycle officer with helmut on. The idea being that the helmut links to an on board computer allowing the driver to see in 360 degrees without ever being exposed

#2638 dylansimpson

dylansimpson

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Full Name:Dylan Simpson

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image so i know its been a while, but i got the mustang all finished up! Summer vaca is in a week so hopefully i'll get some more builds going with some progress pics too.

#2639 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

Shannon, your build is coming together nicely. Can't wait to see more.

Dylan, I like that Mustang vehicle!

#2640 hotrod59f100

hotrod59f100

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Full Name:Shane F Decker

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Doc I love the airport pic.