Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy 150

dc10oiller

Howdy.

This is my first WIP here at MCM forum. It's not my first car, but close.

A group of 8 of us are all building the same car, Revell's '57 Chevy 150 Utility Sedan, as part of a group build. For mine I'm doing a split personality of sorts. The driver's side will be presitine (hopefully) while the passenger side will be beaten up and aged.

I started on the passenger side by making the rust holes.

IMG_5955.jpg

The headliner was created using tips I learned here, from Dr Cranky as I recall.

IMG_6089.jpg

I'm going to give the hairspray method a try so I've painted up one half of the body with a two shade of rust colour.

IMG_6090.jpg

Any comments/advice/warnings will be much appreciated by this rookie.

Thanks for looking.

Loving the way it's turning out to say the least. That headliner is looking perfect. The rust throughs are all in the right places. Keep it going, I think you are working on a beauty. Cheers, DC.

Oh, and EYEGORE is nervously looking for his next fire hydrant! ;):P

I don't like the way chrome is reproduced in model kits. Generally the chrome looks too white and lacks depth. To further complicate matters, the sprue attachment points are almost always in spots that are excruciating visible; side pipes on a heavy truck come to mind. I thus strip the kit parts and repaint them using Alclad.

Castrol Super Clean does a find job of striping chrome, and it won't harm the plastic. In fact, you're left with very smooth parts afterwards.

IMG_5972.jpg

After I primed all the parts with MM gloss black, I textured the bumpers where I wanted to show rust bubbling up from underneath.

IMG_6122.jpg

The end result looks a lot more convincing than what came in the box, the photos notwithstanding.

IMG_6128.jpg

And the textured bumpers will look better once they've received a bit of colour.

IMG_6130.jpg

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My first attempt at the hairspray method was pretty much a disaster. Luckily it was all cleaned up with a cloth dampened in Windex and it was back to square 1. I asked a friend for advice, then we tested on a spare hull (which is what I should have done in the first place :angry: ), and here' the results.

Step one, hairspray. I know most of you will probably cringe at the thought, but I sprayed the stuff directly from the can, but this time I tested first to see what kind of spray pattern I would get. It seemed to work.

IMG_6155.jpg

Then came the Tamiya paint thinned with automotive grade lacquer thinner.

IMG_6172.jpg

I either left the paint too long, put on too much paint, or more likely both, but it took a bit of work to get the paint to "chip" off. I think it looks like a good start for more future weathering.

IMG_6182.jpg

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

I sprayed the blue on today. North of the 49th parallel it's hard to get proper car colour model paints like MCW paints, so I went with looked closest to Larkspur Blue.

IMG_6201.jpg

I layered the paint on a bit thinner this time and didn't wait as long to start working at it. This time the paint chipping went better.

IMG_6219.jpg

I'll let the thing sit for a day or two in order to make sure the paint is cured and then I'll move on to the other side.

Oh, and I've come up with a name for her; Eve.

• 1 year later...