55 replies to this topic

#41 FirePig

FirePig

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:59 PM

... for posting it and your buildup. Very enjoyable, and inspirational!! I like how you work.

#42 PatRedmond

PatRedmond

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

Gorgeous! :wink:

#43 PeterLepold

PeterLepold

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

Good morning Bill

About the vinyl structure on roof or seats, try this...(I wrote it in the '78 MC thread a while ago)!

The vinyl structure I made with ethyl acetate and a bristle brush. Here are some pictures from the making of vinyl structure what I did on my '67 Charger (the Revell kit). This kit also have no vinyl roof but it is not a mistake, Chargers are build with and without vinyl roof. But I want to have a Charger with it because I build my best friends original car (it is a "White Hat Special Charger" Edition).

You need ethyl acetate and a bristle brush
Posted Image

Then you coat the roof with ethyl acetate step by step, and with the old bristle brush you presses the structure into the softened plastic, repeat it until the structure is real. The next pictures are looking "wild"....
Posted Image

Posted Image

After painting with semi gloss black the vinyl is looking like this...
Posted Image

Posted Image

The same way I did it on the '78 MC.

Your Invicta is very very beautifull Posted Image. I love these cars from the'50s.

Greetings from Germany
Peter

#44 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

What a neat idea! It looks in scale also!

I have to give that a try..........there's a hardware store right up the road from me, that should have ethyl acetate.

Ya learn something new everyday! :mrgreen:

Thanks Peter! 8)

#45 Daniel Peterson

Daniel Peterson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Peterson

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:47 AM

This is what I was missing! In-progress updates from Bill!

Man, each post is like Christmas morning! :P

#46 bluemoose

bluemoose

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:21 AM

I'm sure glad I joined this forum, if for no other reason than to follow the progress on this model. The '59 Buick is one of my favorite designs, along with the '34 Ford. It's sheet metal with sex appeal.

#47 ismaelg

ismaelg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:58 AM

Hmmmm, I've used the masking tape trick before, but the acetate trick looks like worth a try......

#48 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:08 AM

Okay Ladies and Gentlemen.........this'll be the final update as I intend to finish this one this week upcoming.............definitely by next weekend!!

This past week I've been struggling with the dashboard as it had to be modified somewhat to fit with the new interior. I can tell you it was a real
^%@#$?!!*! to get this thing to be the way I wanted it! I think because this is a repop and not the original kit is why I was having difficulties. Don Holthaus obviously uses a much thinner "glass" than the original (a GOOD thing!) which is what made the dash ill fitting in respect to the cowl.

Anyway......here's what I've done to date.........

Since I don't like just epoxying dashboards in place........running the risk of smearing the windshield with epoxy..............I like to run a support beam across the cowl to place the dash. The ensures that the dash will sit at the right height and not depend on the side panels for support.

Posted Image

Here's how it would look from a top view.......

Posted Image

Here's the somewhat completed dash............it took several painting tries to get this right! For some reason I couldn't get the paint I used for the seats to come out a different shade for the dash without it coming out looking really puckey! Taking a tip from Peter Lepold, I used Humbrol #9 brown paint on the dash and then put it in the dehydrator for about 4 hours at 105 degrees.

On the steering wheel, I cut out the molded in horn ring and replaced it with one I made from bead wire................I simply wrapped the wire around something of like diameter, and then soldered the ends together. I think it looks a lot more realistic than that too thick piece that was molded on. On the inside diameter of the ring, I flowed some epoxy on the "spoke", let dry, then painted it black, and then painted it with Alclad to get the nice bright polished aluminum look.

There was nothing I could do about the center badge..............I think it's supposed to say "Power Steering" or something like that. :D

Posted Image

Here's the dash as it now sits in the car sans the interior...............I have added a gearshift selector and turn signal stalk this time............something I forgot on the '61 Cadillac! :lol: I may try to paint the windshield pillars........I wanted to add plastic to cover that area, but I'm afraid it will come out looking too "bulky" in those sections.

Posted Image

The interior side panels were painted this morning and are in the dehydrator as this is written...........they're pretty quite plain with just a white stripe to distinguish them a bit. They'll be detailed with handles and the stripes and then I can get the front and rear bumpers, tailights on, and call this one DONE! :D

BTW, I noticed as of today there are 1522 HITS of this thread!! All I can say is thank so much for taking the time to look. I'll have to admit that this may be the last model from me for a while as I will be moving (AGAIN :!:) so until I get settled there won't be much model doings! :D

Thanks for lookin'!

#49 Zed

Zed

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:08 AM

Amazing ! :shock:

#50 Wildrice

Wildrice

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Full Name:Bobby Boggs
    Proud Member of NWVMM Club

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

Great work as usual Bill. Can't wait to see this one finished.

#51 Stingray69

Stingray69

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

WOW! Now that is sweet! Keep up the awesome work man!

#52 Mal.au

Mal.au

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

Geez Bill that is cool
I had always thought that our hobby was just about sticking some plastic together and throwing some paint on it but you take it to a whole new Level well done

#53 BIGTRUCK

BIGTRUCK

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Krawiec

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:53 AM

Need 1 pic at least Bill of the whole car , completed

#54 ronr

ronr

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Full Name:Ron "Pops" Royston

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:14 AM

:shock: WOW! That baby is going to be SWEET!
Ron

#55 bluemoose

bluemoose

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

It's fantastic to follow the high quality work being shown on this board. Lots to learn from!

#56 JayVee

JayVee

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:41 AM

Outstanding detail work! The steering wheel horn ring is a really slick idea, and the spokes came out great, too.