Model Cars Magazine Forum

'77 Volare Glue Bomb

ChrisPflug

the engine on the photo of the real one, is an in line slant six, the engine in the kit looks like a V-8.

I have a restored 80 Volare, if you like I´ll post some photos of it.

By the way, where can I get a kit of this car?

Edited by Aeroteto

• 1 year later...

Try eBay. The 1980 Volare kit was only done one year, in 1980. There should be some around.

"Fuzz Duster" , is the name bestowed upon MPC's 1980 Volare annual . Its box art is a *bit* misleading ; it features a customised version , but there's no mention of the stock building option (!)

It's moulded in black .

My interior. I did a lot of work on the door panels with Evergreen. The cranks are resin from Norman Veber. The arm rests were carved out of toothpicks. I went for a bench seat. I modified the one from the Revell '66 Chevelle wagon.

S4200168vi-vi.jpg

Busy engine bay! Main reason for the photo is to show the vent close to the windshield. Kit just has a blank part there. Also, the kit doesn't have the two stiffener bars that run from the firewall to the fenders.

Is there a slant six kit available?

Is there a slant six kit available?

There is a slant six in the Lindberg 1964 Plymouth / Dodge kits. It's probably the best one ever done in a kit. There is also one in the Deora kit, which isn't all that bad either. Going back, there were versions of this engine in Revell 1962 Valiant kit, which had a big hole through the block for the metal axle. I believe there was a slant in the 1964 Barracuda kit, and maybe one of the Volare releases.

Ross Gibbons also did a slant six in resin as part of his extensive engine line.

The Lindberg kits are probably the most economical/ available source for the leaning tower of power and pretty nice. The '64 Plymouth kit has a manual trans, the Dodge an automatic

I used a stick version in a 71 Duster Twister and am planning on going with the auto trans when I build my '80 Volare Road Runner

043.jpg

The Lindberg kits are probably the most economical/ available source for the leaning tower of power and pretty nice. The '64 Plymouth kit has a manual trans, the Dodge an automatic

I used a stick version in a 71 Duster Twister and am planning on going with the auto trans when I build my '80 Volare Road Runner

Chris, that's a superb engine bay on that Duster! I am working to put one of those in a Volare right now and it's a bit of a challenge. The Volare has the drive shaft molded into the transmission hump, so I removed it and redid the hump. I also got rid of the console molded into the interior bucket. Last issue will be the relationship between the transmission and the bottom of interior / chassis... MPC really made it tight, just not enough room for the tranny. So make sure your suspension sits, the driveshaft and engine / trans all sit right before committing anything to paint! I would've swapped out the chassis but the Volare torsion bars are completely different from the prior ones.