Petty '69 Talladega and '69 Torino
Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:36 AM
Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:27 PM
I was also finishing up some work on the chassis for both and got ready to put in the exhaust pipes. I was expecting garbage from the AMT kit (and it pretty much was), but the Talladega kit surprised me - those exhaust pipes are only 2/3 pipes all the way down to the end - you then get just a round cap on the end. Well, that was not going to do. So I took the stock pipes and cut them just after they bend to head out. I then took some copper pipe and pushed that into the ends of the stock pipes. When it was all done, I painted it in Testor's Steel color. Here's how they looked while drying - note that you can still see that the part of the pipes really is only about 2/3 around:
When they were all dry, I was able to put them on. Boy! What a difference that makes! This is so much better than the stock pipes!
That's it for now - hopefully more tomorrow. Ciao
Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:29 AM
Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:12 AM
Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:27 AM
Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:36 AM
Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:23 PM
Anyway, first up is the Torino. When I first set the body on, the front end sat up way too high. When I made the adjustment for where the wheels mount, I thought I had it right, but I ended up making the front end a tad too low. Well, this has been a learning experience for me, so I will just chalk this one up to a learning experience. Here's the Torino:
Then I started on the Talladega. I brought the back end down a touch so it wasn't quite so high. Overall, I think this one "sits" a little better since I made my adjustment. Here's the Talladega:
Finally, I wanted to show how that rear end cooler ended up working out for me. It took some working and a few shots, but I actually did get a decent picture of the part in the car. Remember this was not only my first time casting anything in resin, but this was also the first part that I actually made the master for. As a reminder, here's a shot of the actual rear end cooler I was trying to replicate, followed by a picture of the finished product in the car:
Well, I guess that's it for now.
Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:27 PM
The Torino might look better if the rear was a tad lower, the Talladega looks great as is. And the chrome looks MUCH better in these pictures, lol!
Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:44 PM
Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:54 PM
Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:45 PM
As I was putting the grills and bumpers on, I noticed that the grill for the Talladega was inset much like the Torino's grill. Here's a picture of what I mean:
Well, the whole purpose of the Talladega's nose job was to make it more aerodynamic and flush. Having an inset grill just won't do. I had to get that grill more flush with the rest of the front of the car. So I cut a few strips of sheet styrene and used that as a shim to move the grill up. It's much better now and just about even:
Unfortunately, while I was doing this, I failed to notice a drop of glue that had fallen. When I turned the car upside down to work on it, the roof ended up right smack dab in the middle of the glue. When I pulled it up, it brought some of the glue with it and left some of the paint on the table I ended up sanding it down to make the top smooth again and I'll work on getting the top repainted. Here's the terrible blemish:
These cars will have hood pins on them, and not the molded on hood pins that came on the cars - nope!! As you can see, I've been working on making them with sequins, needles, and wire. For how I do the working hood pins, please refer to my previous build of the '64 Petty Belvedere - I'm not going to go into it here.
Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:27 PM
The Torino is almost done. I am building a NASCAR-style air cleaner for it (see the back rear quarter panel for a view of it), then it is on to decals. The hood pins are in and done. Also note the straps across the back window - yep, I didn't forget those. If I were to re-do this kit later, I think I would make a template of the rear glass and cut it to shape so it can fit within the frame instead of below it.
Edited by Scottnkat, 22 February 2012 - 04:02 AM.
Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:38 PM
Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:56 PM
Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:38 PM
Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:56 PM
sweet Build man
I did get the decals on half of the Torino - I realize that the sponsor decals on the front are not correct for any race. Consider this just an interpretation of what it could have been like and not an exact representation. I hate doing something 100% accurate because no matter how hard you try, there is always something that was missed, done wrong, or completely forgotten. This should be fun and not stress-inducing.
Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:31 PM