#1 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Full Name:Ian White

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

I've only been here a couple of days and I'm really impressed with the quality of builds that have been done . I have been searching through the various post's but was wondering if people could put some photo's in here of the mini builds they have done . I am a mini fanatic and am interested in new ideas for future builds and to just see what people have done . I'll start it off with some of mine (most are still boxed up from a recent move I'm afraid ...) .

Italeri Volvo semi with car carrier loaded with mini's which is my current long term build , I wanted some way of displaying some of the older mini builds I've done and came up with this idea . The top row from left is the first Tamiya mini I ever did , all brush painted , then a Tamiya mini with alfoil covered seats , formula one style bonnet scoop and home made rear wing (I was 16 at the time ...) , Fujimi mini 25 , Fujimi Rover mini . Bottom row from left Tamiya mini painted with "sugarcane" acrylic I had left over from one of my previous full size mini's , Tamiya racing mini , Tamiya Monte Carlo rally mini and then Tamiya body on scratch built chassis as a poor attempt at a funny car which is why it's hiding right up the front of the truck . Still got a bit of work to do to the front trailer yet , it started off as being the Fruehauf trailer (comes with steel rolls on the back) as I got it without a deck and then cut it down to be a B-double .

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's now on it's way to becoming a B-double with a flatbed trailer to hold a mini monster truck and mini on Suzuki (jimny ??) Chassis , need to finish front trailer and then build a case for it as it's nearly 1.4 meters long ...

Posted Image

Another current build is replicating my fathers cooper s we restored 15 or so years ago ,

Posted Image

Custom mini based on a Tamiya mini with unknown '56 chev tailfins , this is based on a 1:1 mini known as minisota , I was building it for a comp on another forum and ran out of time to get it right so it became a custom inspired by minisota ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by sports850, 24 January 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#2 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,374 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Here is the only mini I have, I do want to do a morris mini
Posted Image

#3 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Peter Manton's (Australian mini racer in the 60's) first 997 cooper , the car was originally red and had a high speed race car paint job , hence all the engine bay and interior are still red and not the Neptune colour like the exterior ,

Manton moved the battery to the engine bay in an attempt to reduce wheel spin coming out of corners ,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1:35 Heller mini built as the 1967 Bathurst winning cooper s for a mate who loves the car , another mate printed the decals for me . the Heller kit (old airfix kit) is a real pain in the proverbial with the body being in three parts , nose from front edge of bonnet down , main body and then rear from bottom of rear windscreen down .

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am also building a 1971 Nota fang which is an Australian road/race car based on a mini (mini front subframe with motor/gearbox/diff is mounted behind the driver , hilman imp front end and minimal bodywork) , I'm having trouble getting the bodywork right for this one so far . I have a 1:1 version of this which is what I'm basing the measuremnets on , unfortunately it's in similar condition to the model and awaiting time to restore .

Posted Image

Posted Image

A Nota Fang , not mine sadly :(

Posted Image

Edited by sports850, 23 January 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#4 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Nice Mini Martinfan , I've got a couple of new Mini kits in the stash to do so far but haven't got to them yet .

Replica of a mates cooper s (same mate as the bathurst mini , this was done for his birthday by myself and another mate who made the decals and certificate for it , we're collectors , only the best models have certificates ...) , right down to the various stickers on the windows ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another current build is a mini monster truck , front half of the mini body came in a bulk lot of bits I got in a swap , rear half is from an unknown toy ford pickup a friend on another forum gave me . Chassis etc is the USA 1 Monster truck kit , lot of work to go on this one so far , mainly in the bodywork dept ....

Posted Image

So what other mini builds (or mini based variants) have people done ?

#5 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

Here's my wife's Mini; her first model, which we did in the winter of 2002-2003:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,374 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Dave, I did the Revell kit, which is the same , and I agree, not very nice at all

#7 Kit Basher

Kit Basher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Full Name:Hugh

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

Here's one that was just for fun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

VW Dave , your wife did a nice clean job there

DoubleD , looks great , I think just about everyone has done a mini at some stage .

I have a Fujimi and a Revell version of the New Mini , Revell kit I must have bought about 10 years ago but never gotten around to building it , will have to drag it out soon . It has the A , B and C pillars moulded in clear plastic and you have to paint them black from memory doesn't it ? I opened the box , looked at that and shut the box up again vowing to look at it later and it's sat ever since ...

#9 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Basher , that is cool , what body shell did you start with and how did you extend it ? Do you have a build thread on it here ?

#10 Kit Basher

Kit Basher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

It's the Fujimi kit. Sorry, I didn't document the build. I extended it the hard way, careful cutting and sheet styrene. I'll give you more details if you're interested. I'm glad you like it, it really was fun. Thanks

#11 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

the Revell New Mini is a B#$%ard to get right... which,btw, is why i gave the unfinished one i had to the local club. now; the tamiya Mini... those are little jewels of precision.

i'm going to do the three from the (REAL) Italian Job one of these days... with drivers AND gold bars.

#12 Eric Stone

Eric Stone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Full Name::emaN lluF

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Revell MINI, built in about 3 days. It didn't fall together, but I didn't have too much trouble with it.Posted Image

Posted Image

Hot Wheels Morris Mini, stripped and repainted. I bought a couple more to do, and have the new Hot Wheels MINI Challenge stripped and almost ready for paint as well.
Posted Image

Posted Image

In the to-do pile, I have the Tamiya Monte Carlo Rally Mini and the Morris Mini, and a 1/43 Heller Mini. I'd like to get a couple of the Fujimis, the other Tamiya racing Mini I don't have, and the Hasegawa MINI Countryman.

Here's my girlfriend's 1:1 '11 Clubman.
Posted Image

#13 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Haven't built a plastic model of one yet, but I do have one of Tamiya's rc Mini's :)

Posted Image

I detuned it after that last video was shot, it was a little too high strung!

#14 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Tamiya kit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love minis and this kit - I have about 10 more in different configurations.

#15 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

i'd need one in Mr Bean livery as well.

#16 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

Here's my lot of Mini's, the Almond Green and the Island Blue one's were built way back in 1995, and were built out of the box, they were the first few models I built when I got back into the hobby, the black Mini was a Tamiya kit converted into a basic Mini 850, there's a lot of detail you can't see, but the remote gearchange was removed and a gearstick was made out a pin with a blob of solder for the gearknob, and the wheels,hubcaps and front grill were done in white metal, but I am now re-doing them in resin, the red and white Coopers were built last year, apart from using factory matched paint and drilling out the 9 hole Cooper wheels, they were built pretty much out of the box, the Surf blue model was the Austin kit, but I used the Morris parts, a matching Fiesta yellow will be built soon to go in the same showcase.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

Basher , That'd be great if you could give more details , my attempts at extending bodies so far have been woeful ... If you ever copy and cast that body I'd be keen for a couple .

62Rebel , yes , an Italian Job dio is definitely on the cards here too , but I want to build the bus to go with it .... No idea if or when that will happen as my scratch building skills aren't up to it yet but I can still plan for now .

Eric , that's a sweet looking build , you guy's have definitely motivated me to drag the Revell kit out now and have another look at it . The hotwheels looks great too , I haven't tried to repaint one of them yet but was seriously thinking of the flamed yellow one for a full sized colour scheme for a while .

Joe , I have a really early version of the Tamiya front wheel drive car , the front suspension is a horizontal spring right across the top of the front so instead of one front wheel rising independently one wheel goes up and the other is pushed down . It works well in some situations but others causes massive wheelspin . They are a hell of a lot of fun though and handle abuse well . I also have the Kyosho .049 rwd mini (1992 or thereabouts) , very fussy thing to keep running , the much later Kyosho .12 fwd mini (2000 or thereabouts , built bubt never fired) and a mardave ministock which is elecctric rwd , slower than the Tamiya and with solid suspension and foam tyres but is brilliant fun . Yes , I am obsessed ..... I also have 5 full sized mini's and variants in various states ...

Erik , that's a tough looking build , bumperless mini's always look the business :)

Hi Geoff , I thought I saw your username here in another thread , I don't think you've shown enough of your Tamiya builds over on the IMMCC site , brilliant detailing there , well done .

#19 MOPAR_KID96

MOPAR_KID96

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Full Name:Bailey Barron

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

nice

#20 Kit Basher

Kit Basher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Ian, I will send you a PM about extending the body.