#121 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

It makes sense to a point, but at the same time, why should Revell care if the plow will be to big on smaller scales?, Dont plows come in different size's ?, I dont pay a lot of attention to snow plows, living in Phoenix dont have a need to ;)

Edited by martinfan5, 02 September 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#122 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

How common or uncommon was a 'Three-on-the-Tree' / V8 / Four Wheel Drive combo in the 1:1 realm ?

One of the nicest pieces in this kit is the clear-cast tail light lenses ! No silver or white painted backup light lenses !

When I built multiples of the Monogram 70's Chevy / GMC back in the 70's and 80's , I'd glue the cab's back panel into place prior
to installing the interior and I never had a problem .

I'd imagine that using the more common plain wheels / hubcaps combo (available from at least one of the resin casters) would hide the incorrect 6 or 8 lug pattern .

I used to hand-paint the missing fender emblems on each of my builds of these Chevy / GMC variants ! My hand used to be rock-steady , and my mind clear of unnecessary thoughts .

#123 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

How common or uncommon was a 'Three-on-the-Tree' / V8 / Four Wheel Drive combo in the 1:1 realm ?

Not very common. Most GM 4x4s from '74 until '79 used the TH350/NP203 combination with the V8, with a few TH375/NP203 combinations by special order (the TH375 was a special short tailshaft version of the TH400, only used with the NP203 t-case). Manual transmission trucks generally were equipped with the SM465 4 speed and the NP205 transfer case, though the 3 speed was standard equipment. All 6 cylinder 4x4 trucks used the NP205 regardless of transmission. The NP205 could be had with an automatic and V8, the NP203 was V8 and automatic only, with the exeption of the '74-mid '75 model years when it was available with the 4 speed. That version is very rare.

#124 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

just picked up two kits this past weekend.When i got home and opened it up, the snow plow looked to me to be to small.so I took some measurements on it. It specs out to be a 7 foot plow in 1/25 scale 3 3/8 long. if it was a 7 foot plow in 1/24 scale it should be 3 1/2 long and a 8 foot plow in 1/24 scale should be 4 inches long, right??. so I"am thinking this plow was from a revell kit in 1/25 back in the days what do you think. joseph

Joe,

You are correct that the plow measures out to a scale 7 feet, that was one of the first things I checked! Most Jeeps had 6 1/2 foot wide plows and half ton trucks like this typically had 7 foot plows, although 7 1/2 plows were possible on a half ton if the right options were ordered (heavy duty parts). 8 foot plows were more common on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks due to their heavier duty suspensions and typically more powerful engines.

It is possible that Revell tooled up this plow because of:

1. That what was on the research vehicle.

2. That was the size plow that would fit on the sprue tree.

3. They did not consult a plow manufacturer to get the correct size as a means to not have to pay royalties.

This plow closely represents a Western snow plow from the '80's before they went to the Uni-mount style. In a perfect world, we would have a late model pickup kit with a uni-mount style plow, but I am happy to have this as I have a bunch of older kits that it would look more realistic on.

#125 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

I believe they originally tooled it to be an automatic equipped truck, or at least that's what the Monogram GMC Jimmy (same kit really) leads me to believe, since in the instructions for the Jimmy they mention a Turbo-Hydramatic transmission, even though the kit clearly has a manual modeled.

#126 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

There's never been any version of that kit, either the pickup or the Blazer/Jimmy, with an automatic. They've always had the column shifted 3 speed with the NP205 t-case.

#127 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

I meant for the interior, but looking at the parts, they modeled a clutch pedal...however the shifter looks like the one for the auto trans. Regardless though, I'm going to convert all mine to floor shift. :P

#128 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

The shifters are actually the same, the difference is at the control box at the bottom of the column.

#129 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

*The more you know*

Didn't know that, but then again I haven't really seen any manual column shift 73-up trucks.

#130 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

The shifters are actually the same, the difference is at the control box at the bottom of the column.

The shift levers are the same shape, too? I only know Dodge 3-speed manual column shifters, which are an "H" pattern and have different lever shapes/bends between auto and manual column shifters.

How does the Chevy 3-speed manual column shifter work? Is it all inline? I would think there needs to be some allowance for for and aft movement if it's an "H" shift pattern.

#131 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

*The more you know*

Didn't know that, but then again I haven't really seen any manual column shift 73-up trucks.

Had a friend that had a 75 Chebby half ton that was a 250- inline 6 with a three on the tree. I don't think the heavier duty trucks could be had with a 3 speed manny tranny, although if they had the HD 4 speed, it was essentially a 3 speed cuz the first gear was super low and most started in second gear.

#132 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

GM trucks also use an H pattern, but that is taken care of at the control box at the bottom of the column. The upper is essentialy the same as the automatic truck. When you lift up on the lever, it shifts the tab on the control rod up to engage the 1rst-Reverse control rod. It's basically the same as when you lift up to go through the quadrant on an automatic.
The 3 speed was standard equipment on 1/2 and 3/4 tons, and could be had on 1 tons as a delete option. There was also a heavy duty 3 speed option.

#133 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

that truck's wheels are 8 lug too so 3/4 ton is what revell did the truck as gmc k2500 my uncel's old 74/78 chevy was a auto but no custom wheels

#134 camarofreak82_427

camarofreak82_427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Full Name:brandan pyles

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Wheres the bottom of the cab lol. Somthing tjats bern bothering me is the interior tub is also the floor board n it dont go all the way back to the end of the cab i have mine almost done just waiting for flocking and paint to dry

#135 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Wheres the bottom of the cab lol. Somthing tjats bern bothering me is the interior tub is also the floor board n it dont go all the way back to the end of the cab i have mine almost done just waiting for flocking and paint to dry

Rust belt salt corrosion took the bottom of the cab.. :)

Edited by Rob Hall, 12 October 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#136 camarofreak82_427

camarofreak82_427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Full Name:brandan pyles

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hahs im makin mine kinda used but thats overboard hehe

#137 Ridgeback

Ridgeback

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Darren Maxton

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

I was looking at plow makes and colours for mine and noticed that one of the decals in the kit, that goes on the back of the plow, is for XYZ Plows, which actually are a company based in Sweden, who make snow plows and other equipment - XZY Vikplog. I'm wondering whether they based the plow on a Western, but used an agreement with the swedish firm, to use their name (even though they have styled the letters differently)?

1618778366.jpg

Edited by Ridgeback, 12 November 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#138 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:30 AM

I doubt that they put much effort into the branding of the plow; XYZ was probably just meant to be a jibberish brand, not knowing there was actually a company building plows in Sweden under that name!

#139 Ridgeback

Ridgeback

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Darren Maxton

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

Seems strange that with big companies obsession with copyright, no one thought to put xyz plows in a search engine, just to see!

#140 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Not sure if this was brought up, but the spare mounted on the tailgate of an old plowtruck is pretty accurate for a lot of the trucks here in the rust belt. Or mounting it inside the box somewhere. Another very common location on these trucks back in the day was right on the grill if there was room in front with the plow light brackets.

After a few plowing sessions, you wouldn't want to chip out that much ice, snow, sand from under the truck to get the spare off. Those old trucks rotted fast underneath. Anything built in the 70s and 80s turned into a mess on the undercarriage after just a year.  We use lots of salt here. Lots.

Newer trucks aren't much of an issue these days, but on a truck of this age, it's rare to see a spare sitting under the bed still.

Edited by hpiguy, 16 November 2013 - 07:30 AM.