Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nick Winter Automotive

Nick Winter

Nick, with out wanting to provoke a fight , I must ask why you chose to place a window at such an extreme hight . Doorways are generally 7ft . Most repair shops have a 12ft ceiling , maybe 14. Overall, the building looks fine . The rectangle window placed at the hight you placed it at just dosen't "square" with accepted building practices . Ed Shaver

the windows in our shop at VW were a good 12 feet or more off the pavement/ground, for security. i do see where Ed would find this questionable if the shop were a converted service station; they were all about high-visibility for advertising media and product placement like oil can racks, wiper blades, all that equipment. change out the strip styrene door and window frame for channel, and see if you can cover the inside surface to block the translucency of the plastic material somewhat. looking like a good start and i like the parking lot as well.

the windows in our shop at VW were a good 12 feet or more off the pavement/ground, for security. i do see where Ed would find this questionable if the shop were a converted service station; they were all about high-visibility for advertising media and product placement like oil can racks, wiper blades, all that equipment. change out the strip styrene door and window frame for channel, and see if you can cover the inside surface to block the translucency of the plastic material somewhat. looking like a good start and i like the parking lot as well.

Around here, none of the recently built auto repair shops (say, within the last 30 years), inclusing the one I work at, have any windows in the shop area. The only windows are in the doors, and perhaps the office/customer waiting areas. However, many of the older shops have widows exactly as Ed describes.

As Ed said, I'm not wanting to start any arguments, only giving a point of veiw from my own experiences being around the auto repair business. I'm sure that different areas will have different building codes and styles.

Edited by Longbox55

Nick, with out wanting to provoke a fight , I must ask why you chose to place a window at such an extreme hight . Doorways are generally 7ft . Most repair shops have a 12ft ceiling , maybe 14. Overall, the building looks fine . The rectangle window placed at the hight you placed it at just dosen't "square" with accepted building practices . Ed Shaver

Ed in all honesty every industrial.commercial building I have seen has the windows up high and away from the ground, so that's why I did it this way.

Nick

The Baltimore GM plant I worked in had windows high, and even some fold-open windows in the ceiling......they were great for allowing natural light in. I worked both first AND seconds shifts in that plant, and I can tell you, the natural light during the day was a pleasant bonus.

Mike

As far as covering up the holes in the walls, I'd say frame the doors and windows the way they are in real life. You can use basswood strips... easy to cut, easy to glue. Run a frame around the opening using a strip that's the same width as the thickness of the walls, then add the inside and outside moldings using slightly smaller strips. Just take a look at how a real door is framed.

• 9 months later...