#261 martiniocp

martiniocp

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Full Name:martin

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

I've only joined this forum today to ask about sth totally different and opened this thread by accident. Now, I'm reading it like a good book. The skill you're displaying here is mind-bending. How do you work out the dimensions? Engine, interior? Is it proportions only or you're using some othere reference? Oh, what putty is it, they yellow one? Cheers.

#262 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

I just looked through all 14 pages of this build, and i didnt realize that you scratchbuilt the entire thing!! i dont know what else to say, that hasnt been said.....outstanding work shawn, its unreal what you have done with stryrene, beautiful work!

im still drooling, and my jaw is on the floor.......wow!

cheers
bryan

#263 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

that is some beautiful scratch building Shawn! very nice work!

#264 ShawnS

ShawnS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Full Name:Shawn Shirley

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

Thanks again guys.

There is only one problem that I can see shawn your next one has to be better than the last one !!!

Cool build where is the next update PLEASE

Doobie

I think I''l go back to the regular builds after this. Ironically I have so many projects that have stalled because I needed to scratch build parts but didn't know where to start. I think this build is going to be a bit of a confidence booster that will allow me to kick start those projects. As for the next update, well I work slowly so you'll just have to wait like everybody else :D .

I've only joined this forum today to ask about sth totally different and opened this thread by accident. Now, I'm reading it like a good book. The skill you're displaying here is mind-bending. How do you work out the dimensions? Engine, interior? Is it proportions only or you're using some othere reference? Oh, what putty is it, they yellow one? Cheers.

Welcome to the forum Martin. The only measurements that I have used have been the wheel base and track width. I also managed to get the dimensions for the bonnet and boot (hood and trunk) to help me figure out the width of the body. Everything else has been done by guess work and what my eyes tell me. I have had to remake quite a few parts because they were too big or too small, It's just a matter of making things in the right order. The putty I use is Tamiya polyester putty which is a two part putty.

Thanks for your interest
Cheers
ShawnS

#265 ShawnS

ShawnS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

Hi all. I have finally finished making all of the smaller details for the engine bay. I found some horns in my spares box and added some extra detail and made some mounting brackets out of strips of Coke can.
Posted Image
I made the air-con condenser the same way that I made the radiator. It gets mounted to the front and covers most of the radiator.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The air-con drier bottle was the next thing that I needed to do so I made that too.
Posted Image
The emission regs at the time required a charcoal canister to catch and recycle excess fuel vapours. That will be plumbed into the fuel system later.
Posted Image
Here are all of the little pieces in place in the engine bay. The engine bay is finally finished... YAY.
Posted Image

I also noticed that the chassis rails lacked detail so I added some strips to the top and the bottom and some boltheads too.
Before
Posted Image
After
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have now turned my attention to finishing everything else in the front end of the car. Stil many hours of work left to do.

Thanks for looking
Cheers
ShawnS

#266 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

Your skills continue to amaze me!

David G.

#267 mopar68

mopar68

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Full Name:Zac Millington

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

Wow Shawn, just wow.
Yet again, super clean scratching, it all looks amazing sitting in the bay.

#268 frozono

frozono

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Full Name:Luis Sanchez

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

I am speechless. the craftsmanship is outstanding......!!!!awesome!!!!......... B)

#269 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

You should either cast this masterwork or go to work for one of the major model companies. Your work is beyond words. :)

#270 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

This is awesome to watch...thanks for sharing your build...Amazing!!

#271 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,281 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

Truely a jaw dropping build. You sir have some mad skills.

#272 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Full Name:Dominik Weitzer

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

...just speechless of your skill. Awesome!

#273 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Yours isn't the only country he's schooling. This may be the first model I've seen with a plumbed A/C condenser, it wouldn't surprise me if he included the high side/low side schrader valves as well.

-MJS

#274 Art Laski

Art Laski

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Full Name:Art Laski

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Great work and so fun to watch!

#275 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,744 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

You should either cast this masterwork or go to work for one of the major model companies. Your work is beyond words. :)

Second the motions!

Your ability puts most of the professional pattern-makers to shame...witness some of the spectacular (near) flops and proven flops of times recent and past.

If you can do this with only two major dimensions and some scaling, the model builders at the kit companies have no excuses.

Charlie Larkin

#276 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

HOLY COW !!!!!!!!

#277 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

This is fantastic to watch. With a few more pictures and embellished text it would make a great How-To book. Absolutely a lesson in fabricating. Thank you.

#278 ShawnS

ShawnS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Hi guys thanks again. Time for another update. I have been working on a few things that I needed to finish so I could move on to new areas of the build. First up is the exhaust manifold. I started building this part when I was working on the engine but it went into the 'Too Hard' basket.
I based the part on exhausts from AMTs 67 Mustang.
Posted Image
Posted Image
It was just supposed to be a cut and shut job but AMT's grey plastic doesn't seem to like being cut and glued and looses strength around the joints. So I resin cast the part and modified it from there. I added flanges and some boltheads and made a heat shield. I also made the hose that goes from the heat sheild to the air cleaner snorkel from fine wire and plumbers tape.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I also started work on the exhaust system.
Posted Image
While I was working on the engine I noticed that I hadn't made the dipstick yet so i made one with some 0.5mm brass tube and a piece of 0.3mm wire. I bent the end of the dipstick around a drill bit for the finger handle.
Posted Image
Posted Image

That's all for now but as usual work will continue and updates will too.

Thatnks again.

Cheers
ShawnS

#279 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

just went true this topic with a bole of hot steaming soup ....well i forgot to eat my soup several times its cold now !
this is just insane and top of the ladder stuff ..
really love this thread and because you with your skills post good pics and explanations you def. help other people grow in thier hobbt and get awsome inspiration

this thread is a nother > omg thanx for the fact internet exists < moment

#280 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,845 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

That is scratchbuilding at its best! I really like the way this build is coming along. Engine looks fantastic. I couldn't believe that it's scratch built. You do very good job, keep the updates coming.