Hi all. To everyone who hasn't seen this on the ozautobuilders forum this is for you.
This is my current project and the only thing that I've been working on for almost a year now. I'm about half way through the whole project so I'll fill you in with where it's at and how I got there.
It's a 1983 Ford XE Falcon S-Pack. The XE Falcon model life lasted from '82 to '84 and it was one of the most popular cars for it's time. The S-Pack was powered by Ford's trusty 4.1L (250) 6 cyl and was basically a stripes and interior trim upgrade over the base model My parents and my grandparents both owned XE S-pack Falcons so they were always part of my childhood and hold many memories for me. It's armed with these memories that I embarked on the most ambitious model project that I could think of and that was to build one (or both) from scratch.
This is my parents car.
I searched high and low to find a model to base it on but I soon realised that any modification of an existing model would require just as much work as building one from scratch. I thought about it for a while and when I was going through some old car brochures I found a small basic side plan picture of an XD (the Falcon before the XE). I scanned the pic and enlarged it, cleaned it up and made it to 1:25 scale.
I drew that onto a sheet of evergreen twice and cut them out.
That's when I started adding the detail, first the upper kink in the sides and then I scribed some detail in the sides.
Although the real car looks totaly boxy it is has a lot of subtle curves so I had to massage some roundness into the lower areas. The next thing I had to do was to make it thicker to stop it from warping I added thick evergreen into the inside to act as a spine and make it sturdy. I also added more evergreen to the lower inside section later.
I scribed the door handles too.
The next step was to make something for the window frames and pillars to stick to. The 'L' shaped piece is a spacer that goes inside to bring the windows away from the body.
At this stage you can see a strip around the wheel arch that will give me something to stick the putty onto for the wheel arch flares. I made the window frames and pillars from evergreen strips.
To be continued.
Edited by ShawnS, 09 November 2013 - 10:42 PM.