#21 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Bohack

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Here is a photo of one of my Cragar SS wheels to compare to the wheels on the 340 Dart I posted

Attached Files

#22 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

And your point is ? The pics you posted are just standard Cragars may or may not be unilugs (fit various bolt circles except the 5 on 4) Like the pic of my wheel I posted above ......... The A Body mopars have a 5 on 4" bolt circle and have a totally unique center casting from all the other Cragar SS's so they look different and will not fit any other application . The point I was making was the Cragars that come in the Revell 70 Torino would be incorrect on any model build other than an A body Mopar build. I care about details like that in my builds others may not and they can build what they like. I have seen intake manifolds glued on top of blowers, cylinder heads glued upside down, Mopar pistol grip shifters in backwards, Ford intakes on Chev motors big block Chev headers on small blocks and visa versa, the list goes on ........ Just trying to share a little info for those interested in advancing their skill level and wanting to produce a more accurate model. Like I said, details like that matter to me and many others ..... if others don't care in details that is fine too but they do not have to get offended , not the intent here.

Alan :)

Edited by Alan, 10 February 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#23 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

I actually posted a pic or two of a couple of builds Mitch, in this thread, and the 68 Fury AWB thread, the 66 Chevelle and the 65 chevelle four door Super Stocker ............... if that was a jab ;)

#24 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

That's great information, Alan! Thanks. Now I know, that those can be used to A Body Mopar, but not to Cuda and Dart. Actually I care about the details, in these builds. When I build somekind of fast and not so detailed build, then it doesn't matter. But especially in these Stockers, I care about the details.

#25 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hi Niko

Glad to hear you got something out of it. I am always learning something new. I really enjoy seeing the progress photos of a project more so that the finished model as there are many details you would not see if it were not for those photos ... Keep them coming

Alan

#26 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Re those Cragar SS's in the Torino kit, they are wrong for the Ford, yes they are nice but those are in fact for the small bolt circle "A" body platform Chryslers .. Duster, Dart, Cuda, Valint and, re the Cuda, that is pre 1970 before it switch to the "E" body platform. So if you use those Cragars in the Torino kit on anything other than what I mentioned, it would be wrong.

Alan

Funny you should mention this , as their bolt pattern was the first thing I noticed about them !

I worked with someone whose daily driver was a 1970 Swinger 340 . He bought the car new in late '69 , and used it as his daily driver from day one .
He added the Cragar S/S wheels in 1972 ; said they were difficult to find even back then !

That stupid , frustrating 5x4 bolt pattern plagued "A" bodies from their intro in 1960 , through at least 1972 (Slant Six , drum brake cars had that stupid pattern through 1975 !) , with the 1968 Hurst-Hemi twins being the only exception.

Such an odd artifact that R-M would supply these exclusive-to-Chrysler-A-Bodies-bolt-pattern wheels in a Ford kit !

#27 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hey, another fellow who "gets it" ............You can imagine my surprize when that kit came out and I saw those, a nice surprize indeed, I will take errors like that in a kit anytime !!! You never know what photos the designers and kit engineers are referencing when they draft this stuff LOL

Alan :)

PS Niko, you CAN use those wheels on Dart and pre 70 Cudas just NOT the Hemi versions of those cars ....

#28 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

Oh yes, so Hemi versions had different wheels, thanks for that correction!

Not much time spent on modeling now, but I managed to get that engine primered. Here's a picture of that engine block, I have other parts primered too, and hopefully I can spray some blue over them soon.

Posted Image

#29 BigEd

BigEd

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Full Name:Larry (Big Ed) Specht

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Just my 2 cents, but the AMT '66 Nova (red on boxtop) has a set of excellent Cragar SS's.

#30 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

Thanks Larry, needs to check it out. I painted the engine block and other engine parts with spray can before going to Paris. I haven't been looking of those parts yet, how they look when dry, so I maybe have to clearcoat those parts before assembly.

Posted Image

#31 SuperStockAndy

SuperStockAndy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • Full Name:Andy "Android" Conn

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Awesome B)

#32 6bblbird

6bblbird

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Frey

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

After carefully examining the Cragar wheel from the Torino kit and a photo of an actual small bolt pattern 14"x6" A body Cragar, I would have to say that the kit wheel is close to an A body wheel where it could be used to represent that particular rim but it also different enough where it could be used as a standard 15" x 7" large bolt pattern wheel. Here they are together. Look at where the spokes meet the rim and the width of rim section where the spokes "attach". Judge for youself.

Posted Image

No one but Alan would notice anyway! :rolleyes:
WF

#33 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

LOL, actually ... I know a few other builders in my camp that would as well ........

#34 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

Just my 2 cents, but the AMT '66 Nova (red on boxtop) has a set of excellent Cragar SS's.

I do remember that kit had a nice set as well. Wonder what Alan thinks of them. LOL

#35 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

I do remember that kit had a nice set as well. Wonder what Alan thinks of them. LOL

:lol: :lol:

Some more progress with the Torino, I assembled cylinder heads and intake manifold and oil pan. Transmission is also painted. I removed fuel pump from that timing chain cover, and I will make one electric fuel pump later, but that part is now ready for primer and blue paint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

What do I think of the AMT 66 Nova Cragars, they are decent .... THE most acurate are the ones that came in the Johan 69 AMX ..... I can say this because I actually OWN Cragar SS wheels, along with several others. Like I said I am glad some of you get it, the others that get offended or giggle and make silly comments ... well what can I say ......

#37 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Coming along nicely Niko ........ A helpfull tip Niko, when you get to the chassis, don't forget the driveshaft loop that is located at the front of the driveshaft .... rules state so many inches from trans tail shaft .... Most builds I have seen with this so very important detail , more times than not are wrong and placed at the rear, and what good is that? ......... But we won't get into details because of the obvious here ....

Alan

Edited by Alan, 01 March 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#38 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks, Alan! The Driveshaft loop will be glued on both, front and rear. ;)

I FINALLY managed to remember and primer that timing chain cover. It turned out pretty good, only those ejector pin marks need to be removed. Then I'm going to paint it blue, and start assembling the engine.

Posted Image

Edited by W-409, 16 March 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#39 fastram

fastram

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Full Name:Paul

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

One of the nicest Cragar S/S wheels can be found in the AMT 65 Chevelle Wagon or their El Camino kit. They even have the nice S/S engraving on the center caps.

Just remember it's YOUR model, build it the way you want to!

Edited by fastram, 18 March 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#40 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thanks, I will pick that new kit of Chevelle Wagon too, hopefully those Gragar wheels are still inside that box. What El Camino kit you mean? The 65 Camino? And yes, it's my model, and I build it just like I want, but these Stockers are something, what need to be realistic. But no, I wasn't gonna use those Gragars in this build anyway.