25 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Looks like the AMT '65 Chevelle station wagon, aka Superwagon, is set to be released in March, 2012, according to Round2's 'site:

http://round2models....erwagon/product

product.jpg

I recall having an older, molded-in-black issue of this kit (promo?), but it had the funky roof rack/bulge already glued in place, so it wasn't a great starting point. I'm curious if this body combines well with either/both the Revell 1/25 '65 Chevelle SS396 Z-16 or their '66 Chevelle wagon kits, as from what I recall of AMT's '65, the chassis is promo style with molded in detail and screw mounting points in the lower radiator area and rear fame/fuel tank(?).

#2 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

I wonder how this is different from the previous issue (other than the vintage looking box art and being probably molded in white). IIRC, the last issue was maybe 10-15 years ago, with a blue car on the box.

#3 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

I'm guessing it will be the same as the last re-issue, with the new box art, mini box, tinted 'glass', and the pad printed tires being the only new/different things.

I had forgotten just how large the ramps are:

Posted Image

#4 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Same wagon also came out as one of the "Boyd " era kits too. The engine as I recall was a 350. I't s a good kit for it's day . I know someone will run it down what with the molded details on the chassis plate though .............. Ed Shaver

#5 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

That 1987 reissue (the yellow one pictured above) was close to a direct reissue , excepting the (gross 80's) decals and some other parts which were blocked-off (for whatever lame reason).

Original boxart + the superb Round2 upgrades = empty hobby store shelves :D

#6 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

i'll snag another one as a companion to my Revell '66... it'll be painted in the same color scheme, as well; Government black with some "classified" equipment carried in back......

#7 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

The only one I had was back in the early '70s. Black with promo style chassis pan. I'd like to kit bash one with some of todays higher quality kits.

#8 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

somebody said that using the MPC '67 GTO chassis plate was a good upgrade.... that was a long time ago....

#9 promo55

promo55

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Full Name:Ronnie D Mink

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:26 AM

I love this kit, and the El Camino mate to it. I have several of the older version but I will probably get this one, as well. I do not care about the promo style chassis, I display my models right side up! :rolleyes:

#10 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,746 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

If you have ever built the '65 El Camino kit, you'll be in familiar territory. They don't seem to share much tooling-wise, but the overall parts breakdown and level of detail is about the same.

#11 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

the only real downfall here is that the Revell '65 Chevelle's grille and front end is so much better, it makes the AMT wagon and El Camino effort look lame.

I tried fitting the Revell '65 Chevelle's front clip in place on the AMT '65 Chevelle wagon's body, and from what I recall, the fender contours did match up perfectly. I don't think the Revell grille and front bumper would swap directly, or I would've gone that route.

Hopefully the '66 Chevelle wagon will fit under the AMT '65 wagon, and maybe this reissue will include Round2's new/refreshed Firestone tires, too.

#12 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I have a kitbashed AMT '65 wagon/Revell Z-16 on my shelf, where it's been for about 5 years. It seemed to go together just fine for me. This would have been an unusual 1:1 car back in the day, since the Z-16 was the only Chevelle offered in 1965 with the big block V-8. Another thing to notice is this is a "One of None" 3rd seat '65 Chevelle wagon. I used the Z-16's front buckets and console, so i cut up the wagon's front bench for the 3rd seat. I spent way too much of my boyhood watching the world go by backwards from these rear facing 3rd seats in full-size Chevy wagons to build a Chevelle wagon without one. Both of my later 1:1 Chevelle wagons (a '70 Greenbrier and a '73 Laguna) had 3rd seats.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

The Revell 66 Malibu Wagon/El Camino chassis Does fit. I have one started. You will have
to trim it a little around the edges, byut wheelbase is a good match.

The AMT 65 Wagon & El Camino share Most of the chassis & engine bay parts.
My first El Camino had No custom parts or stock hubcaps. I had the 'Gear Hustler'
My first copy of the wagon was also molded black. I want to say it was still the Superwagon.
I got it in the early 70s.

#14 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

If I remember correctly, Jimmy Flinstone offers a two door version of this body in resin w/correct interior bucket. (I have one, but can't remember exactly who cast it, it was an Ebay find) it will fit this kit perfectly, & with very little work fits the Z-16 kit also. Mine is "kit quality" casting, for those that are so inclined, a great addition to this kit.

#15 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I just hope they replace the missing chrome taillight bezels. That will be some work, because in the 70's, they got rid of the clear red taillights, and modified the bezels into solid chrome taillights. When Ertl reissued the kit, they brought back the clear red taillights, but closed off the gates to the bezels. The clear red taillights are just swimming in the openings without the bezels.

#16 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

A 2 door 65 wagon was offered by Mike's Miniature motors, and acquired by Don Holthaus, when Mike passed away. These were mastered by me.

Jimmy Flintstone also offers a well done 2 door 65. All three of these are based on the AMT 65 El Camino kit.

F&F also did a 64, also mastered by me, and also based on the Elky.

Ed Fluck also offered a 65 2 door sedan delivery, based on the R/M Z/16 Chevelle kit, and had an interior and a cowl hood, also mastered by me. Ed also offered a 'phantom' 66 Chevelle 2 door wagon, based on the R/M 66 Elky, and Race Motor Replicas carries a 'phantom'67 2 door wagon/sedan delivery. Both of these were also mastered by me.

#17 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

MCW also offers a 2-door wagon, both 1964 and '65.

This will be a good one to have back.

Charlie Larkin

#18 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

My friend had this kit few years back. It was that release with blue Chevelle on the box top, and then text "Street, Stock, Strip". Since that day, I've been looking for this kit, but I've never seen it in Hobby Shops. Maybe this re-release will be in my hands some day.

What's the " Bonus Mini Display Box"?

#19 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,746 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

What's the " Bonus Mini Display Box"?

That would be the 'cut and fold' duplicate of the box art Round 2 includes with many reissues these days-
Posted Image
This obviously isn't the one for this kit, but it's the only one I have an image for. It isn't 'mini' if you set it next to the assembled model, though! :lol:

#20 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Oh, yes it's that one! I have few of those too. And yes, it's not mini if you compare to finished model, then it's Huge! :lol: