#21 Dingo5162

Dingo5162

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Full Name:Dingo Sharp

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

Sounds like a good project Patrik can't wait to see it start, mine is simular an Australian Ford Falcon from the late 60's once I get all the parts and peces for it I can start on its build BUT money is the problem at the moment everytime we get enough a ###### bill comes in and that comes first.

Dingo B)

#22 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Jim, Ralph Nader aside as he thinks no car is safe (we have a guy in Australia like that) the Corviar was a great car if U didn't want to turn a corner in a hurry I believe had a slight problem there BUT even the Cobra was like that great at speed in a straight line, everything else was a chore. Good car though and a great shape Chev had it right there.

Dingo B)

A first-generation (1960-64) Corvair could be a handful in a corner... IF you overcooked badly into the corner, IF the tires weren't inflated properly (factory specs were, believe it or not, 15 psi front/26 psi rear on the first-gen cars), IF your shocks, tires, or suspension bushings were badly worn... Gee, that's an awful lot of IF's, isn't it! Fact is, my '66 Monza was one of the best-handling cars I've ever driven. Even without that car's adjustable gas shocks, firmer, shorter springs, or urethane suspension bushings it would out-handle any contemporary compact car and many full-on sports cars of the era. Light weight, a low center of gravity, and a 4-wheel fully-independant suspension can do that for a car. I'm not sure what American compacts were available in Australia in the 1960's, but a 1965-69 Corvair would out-handle ANY of them! And when I say ANY American compacty of the late 60's, I mean not only such cars as the Falcon, Comet, Valiant, Dart, Studebaker Lark/Daytona, Rambler American, and Chevy II/Nova, but also the Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, and Javelin. In fact, during the first generation Corvair's run, only the Pontiac Tempest, with it's great weight distribution due to it's rear-mounted transaxle, even came close.

#23 Dingo5162

Dingo5162

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

Sounds like a mean machine Jim, how can I get one nah only kidding I can't afford to run the 2 things I got now, normal road car 1990 Mitsubishi Magna and weekend warrior Mach1 Mustang '69 model, that thing has 4 twin webers on a crossflow manifold drinks like there's no tomorrow. Actually Jim it's more than a weekend warrior sometimes it gets used more than the 4 cylinder Mitsubishi here in Australia it is a bit of a rare horse as it's a 351ci with a 4 speed manual most R autos and only 302ci another rare car we have is a Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-code this thing use to be a drift car but was converted back to road use and raffled of and a friend of ours won it then thought about who would need it more than he so we ended up with it, at the time we didn't have the Mach1 that belonged to my dad who is now too old to drive so he gave it to me because my brither has 3 boys who R car wreckers not lovers I'm glad he did give it to me as it's the only nice thing he's ever done for me U see jim we have never got on since I married my wife some 20 yrs ago now and had only one child instead of the normal 4 that the rest of the family has had anyway that's enough about me and my woes back to the thread how's that Corviar coming along good I hopw.

Dingo B)

#24 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Unfortunately it's in line behind a couple of other CBP projects with earlier deadlines. I have everything I need for it, including the interior from a 1966 annual kit 'Glue Bomb' that will have all the correct details for the year. AMT has reissued the "Late Model" Corvair coupe many times over the years, but always in 1969 trim. I can modify the '69 body back to '66 appearance just by removing the side marker lights, but the interior is another matter entirely. I think this build will be one that I use to 'decompress' when I get too wrapped up in another of my builds and need to do something different for an evening or two. Being a replica of my favorite car ever, it NEEDS to be done right, not rushed. I'll be posting a few shots of the 1:1 car withthe pics of the model when it's done, if that's OK with you...

That modified Mustang sounds like a real beast, and your Skyline would have a ready following here in the States. Nissan never exported them here. More than a few have been imported by individuals and brought into compliance with all the laws and regulations (The U.S. doesn't require changing a right-hand drive car over to left-hand drive, so that makes it easier), but it's not a car you'll see everyday... or every YEAR for that matter, outside of the occasional car show.

Edited by CorvairJim, 04 March 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#25 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Wickham

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

This is the Skoda Fabia S2000 IRC from Provence Miniatures in 1/43rd scale...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More later

Edited by PatW, 07 March 2012 - 03:39 AM.

#26 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:42 AM

Some more photies!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a few more to come!

#27 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

And...you've guessed a few more pics.....
The steering and photo-etch pedals
Posted Image

The first couple of coats of white..
Posted Image

The sides of the rollcage before the seats go in......
Posted Image

A plasticard section glued in place to stop the rear axle dropping off!
Posted Image

And a few more to come...

#28 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

Yes a few more pics......
The masked off area in Green.......
Posted Image

One side decals done...Posted Image

The spare wheel is tied down...
Posted Image

wait for it..................

#29 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:55 AM

Yes more pics..........
The drivers seat is in with belts...

Posted Image

Both seats in with belts fixed to the cage..
Posted Image

The roof and bonnet decals done....
Posted Image

more coming along in a minute..............

#30 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:02 AM

right here we are again..
Posted Image

That was a front view of both seats in.
Decals on t'other side.....
Posted Image

As all the interior is done, we'll pop in the last piece of the rollcage...
Posted Image

That's it so far. As I work in a cabin in the garden I may have to wait a few days to do some more as my son has ordered a replacement alloy wheel for his Golf. So it looks like I'm stuck in doors for a day or so!

#31 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

A few more pics....Firstly the Michelin tyre decals, perhaps a bit close to the rims!
Posted Image

Next the brake calipers are painted red and fixed to the drilled discs...
Posted Image

The decals are finished on the rear of the body....
Posted Image

and ...the floor/chassis is shaved down (sorry a bit out of focus) to allow the pe grill to sit correctly....
Posted Image

The next thing is the fix the discs to the back of the wheels and onto the axles, remembering the larger discs are at the front.

#32 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

I know I should be fitting those brake discs to the back of the wheels, but as I felt brave today I thought I would put the windows in instead. Well I can tell you now that the way these are to fit into the windscreen surrounds from the outside (like a real car)is the best I've seen in a kit. They come in a thin plastic dome like most screens do but with these you cut them out, around the black surround with a new sharp blade. You then drop them into place using your chosen form of adhesive. I had to fit the rear wing over the rear opening before I could fit the screen from below.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now tomorrow I may well fit the dashboard into the bodyshell and get round the fixing those brake discs into the back of those wheels!

#33 Dingo5162

Dingo5162

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:52 AM

Ya going to put lights on it for a night stage it would look great if U did that.

Dingo B)

#34 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

Yes dingo that would look good but the light pod covers up a lot of the bonnet! But I might do it all the same. Some more pics of todays work, more decalling this time on the windows....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I hope to do some more over the weekend but we have the first of the F1 races in Australia, with the televised practice tomorrow, the qualifying on Saturday and the race on Sunday all on Sky Sports F1 Channel this year. (with a few on live on the BBC 1 channel Freeview) I suppose my local team Red Bull will be there up front somewhere, I also hope that McLaren make a better go of it this year and my other local team Sahara Force India with Hulkenberg and David Coulthard's cousin Paul DiResta have a fighting chance.

Edited by PatW, 15 March 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#35 patami

patami

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Full Name:Patrik Aminoff

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Kimi gonna beat them all. Or atleast i as a Finn hope so :) Would be nice to se Kimi number one Heikki numder two and half finn/german Rosberg thired at the end of the season. But guess thats to big a dream.

#36 Dingo5162

Dingo5162

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:42 AM

Patami, there's no harm in dreaming my friend a few years ago I would have luved to seen little known Aussie (gee that;s how little know he is I can't remember his name) win even a round of the WRC but it never happened anyway I think Kimi will get there one day after he's part of the Scandinavian (not meant as an insult either) pack who turn out great rally drivers. I have folowed many a Fins, Swedes and Norwigans driving carreer in rallying when I was younger and a rally driver here in Australia and it was a Swedish driver who taught me the Scandinavian flick all thoughs years ago. Hope U'r going to be part of this thread my friend I'd luv to see another rally fan up here and running how about it Patrik.

Dingo B)

#37 patami

patami

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Dingo I m in just have to find my motivation that i have seem to misplaced somevere :)

#38 Dingo5162

Dingo5162

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

• Great to have U aboard Patrik, U'll find the motivation soon no worries about that.
Dingo B)

#39 patami

patami

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

Yes i will :)

#40 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

Here we are again, I've been away due to problems fitting the wheels to too larger metal axles supplied. I scooped out and enlarged the holes in the back of the wheels but left the wheel centres weak. Resulting in finally fitting the wheels and axles to the chassis and having the centres of the two rear wheels pulling out! So I ordered an aftermarket set of white metal rims and tyres with the MIchelin logo already laid up. Although slightly different I don't think they will detract from the build.(well no choice really as the resin wheels are not available) here are the two old wheels..........
Posted Image

And two of the new ones...........
Posted Image

So I've mounted both the front and rear light lenses and the door mirrors, with just the exhaust, wipers and tow hooks to go to finish.
PS 22.23pm I've just looked at Autosport my weekly motorsport comic and it shows the Skoda's that are due on the IRC Rally of Ireland this weekend and they are using identical wheels to my new aftermarket wheels shown above!

Edited by PatW, 05 April 2012 - 11:25 AM.