Dirk's AMT 73 MustangMad Max Pre-Apocalyptic car
Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:39 AM
This kit is a piece of kaka. Doo doo, monkey feces, donkey doo.... I think you get my drift. Some of you may ask why I feel this way about the fine looking box of plastic. Well.... When I bought this I was looking forward to building a nice replica of Eleanor from the 1974 movie "Gone in 60 Seconds." There is nothing in this box that resembles the Mustang printed on the box top other then the body shell. I just blew $16 plus the time and gas to drive to the LHS to purchase it. Dejected I tossed the box under my bench where it sat for a few weeks. Admittedly I would kit the box every chance I got. This was childish I know but it made me feel a little better... I'm lying it didn't make me feel better but I did it anyway.
Now some of you will argue that this is a fine kit and could easily be made into a race car of some kind and you'd be right but that's not what I had planned. As the kit sat under my bench I had found and purchased a Mad Max interceptor kit. While I was waiting for it to arrive I started scouring the internet for information and what have you to get me ready to build that kit. As most of you may already know the all black interceptor that Max drove was a 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe, a car exclusive to Australia. A car that looks very much like a 73 Mustang. So... Not one to like to waste money I decided that the Mustang could be a nice accompaniment to the Interceptor when done. So the idea was born to turn this 73 turd of a Mustang into a polished Mad Max Interceptor type car. As Will Darnell said in the move Christine, "You can't polish a turd." I'm going to try and prove him wrong.
Now when everyone thinks of the Mad Max cars they always think of the Black Falcon. I decided I'm going to try and make this one into something more like its lesser known and more colorful cousins.
Here are more shots of the kit parts.
Look ma no inner engine compartment walls. AUGH!!!!
Here are the dingle berries. The smaller parts of the big turd. :rofl: I crack me up. Not a single Mustang related part in this photo
I started out by giving everything a cote of black primer. That was before I decided to not do the all black scheme.
If you like the smell of an old age home or like nurseries and the oder that accompanies those places stay tuned for more.
Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:19 AM
Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:32 PM
Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:35 PM
Are there not any better 73 stang kits out there?, been thinking about doing the 73 eleanor myself as well to go along with the the 67, now I know to avoid this kit
Edited by martinfan5, 15 February 2012 - 02:37 PM.
Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:48 PM
That's going to be a project for another day.
Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:50 PM
Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:52 PM
I never knew it was a 71.
Edited by Dirkpitt289, 15 February 2012 - 02:53 PM.
Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:05 PM
Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:10 PM
Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:18 PM
Edited by martinfan5, 15 February 2012 - 05:20 PM.
Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:53 PM
any chance that you might want to let go of the wheels in the 5th pic(from top)?? if so, hit me up.
Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:58 AM
For me when I first start a kit I tend to get a nice start and plenty of progress. This kit is no different. Last night I started by removing the extra plastic supports on the body and got her all cleaned up and ready for primer.
Because this car will primarily be yellow I used white primer as the base. After it dried I found a few more spots that will need some more attention before I apply the first color
One of the first issues I needed to address with this lit was its instrument cluster. As you can see it didn't have one.
This however was a blessing in disguise. Seeing how I wanted to make this into a Mad max like MFP Police car I had decided that to make it more authentic it would need to be a right hand drive car. This over site by the manufacturer made my job so much easier. In my mind I was planning to cut the dash up into three sections and swap them around like dominos. No need to now.Using my pin-vice and varied drill bits I made the new instrument gauges on the blank canvas. I also took this time to properly mount the steering wheel. If you look at the above picture you can see a guide mounted UNDER the dash for the steering column. made it so it now goes through the dash like its real life big brother.
test fit the new steering column location. That's MORE better if you ask me. :rofl:
More to follow.... Thanks for looking
Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:14 AM
Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:48 AM
Here is what AMT feels is a good engine compartment.
With my razor saw and drummel in hand I set to work undoing this miscarriage of plastic injustice.
Due to the graphic nature of this procedure I will just show you the end results
That wasn't soooo bad
Now to let our patient recoup for a bit. While that was happening I was looking over some junkyard motors I have lying around. Just deciding if I want to use one of these or the kit supplied motor. To be fair there is nothing wrong with the kit motor I just want to see if I may want to keep it for something else in the future. It was decided to use the kit supplied motor.
Well that's it for now. Thanks for looking.
Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:16 AM
Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:24 AM
I used this kit you have to build a Max Falcon....I'll try and get some pics today and post. BTW...the dash instruments are on the chrome tree as a 'pod' that was from the road race version of the Mustang kit from years ago.