#41 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Jones

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

yep, Countach engine...have changed direction of the build several times since I had first thought about it. Will be getting more done in the next few days...still undecided don paint, shiny hot rod or weather rat rod?...

#42 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Tim is that the old blue thingy's cab?

Nick

#43 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Tim is that the old blue thingy's cab?

Nick

yeah it is from the blue truck I got from you. Soaked it in the purple pond for 2 days and that's how it turned out...I'm also using one of the frames I got from you too...still trying to figure out something to do for the back end. maybe some kind of bed or rails, just so its not frame exposed...

#44 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Sweet, maybe you can use something that's in the second box I sent yeah, neat to see something done with them, will be watching.

Nick

#45 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,684 posts
  • Full Name:^^^^

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

I might be in... just a matter of digging out the right parts.

#46 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,432 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

Doctor Cranky and EYEGORE will be lurking in the background until the end! ;) :wub:

#47 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

well frame I was going to use is now in 2 pieces..no clue as to how it broke so I guess I will try my hand at a scratch built frame...

#48 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Tim, If you need another frame I may have one from the parts box that came with those builtups

#49 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

going to just scratch build one...the previous frame was a little too short anyhow....so will make more room and maybe places to add little details...been so busy working on my vette that I haven't had any time to do anything else to the build. Will try and get some work done tonight on it...

#50 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

ok got a question for al of you....I am trying to make my own firewall for this build. I got the shape drawn out and transferred it to some plastic (clear packaging) and have glued it to the body 2 times already using Testor's glue in red tube...it sticks good and then after a few hours (this last time was overnight) it just pops right off. What kind of glue do I need to use so that it will stick? I am wanting to use the clear plastic to resemble a plexiglass firewall. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

#51 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Stone

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

ok got a question for al of you....I am trying to make my own firewall for this build. I got the shape drawn out and transferred it to some plastic (clear packaging) and have glued it to the body 2 times already using Testor's glue in red tube...it sticks good and then after a few hours (this last time was overnight) it just pops right off. What kind of glue do I need to use so that it will stick? I am wanting to use the clear plastic to resemble a plexiglass firewall. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

None of the above. Anything that will stick the transparent plastic will also etch into it, making it cloudy. That leaves araldite and water based PCV, of which there is one (super clear??) made for sticking in headlights and windows.
You would be better off if you could find some other way to hold the firewall in - perhaps captive in a slot, or some small pins used as rivets or something like that.

#52 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

thanks for the reply....I have scratched the clear firewall idea...not that good of scratch builder..lol...but i do still need to find something to glue the plastic on. It is the only material I have that I can use. I plan on covering it in BMF after installing it so hazing/etching doesn't really matter. Will be going out of town this weekend so I can try and find some other type of glue. Thanks

#53 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

thanks for the reply....I have scratched the clear firewall idea...not that good of scratch builder..lol...but i do still need to find something to glue the plastic on. It is the only material I have that I can use. I plan on covering it in BMF after installing it so hazing/etching doesn't really matter. Will be going out of town this weekend so I can try and find some other type of glue. Thanks

If you need to find other glue, you may as well put that money to other plastic, and get yourself a sheet of evergreen styrene

#54 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

thought about it, but trying to stay somewhat true to the guidelines of this build...using only stuff I have around the house. Will try a glue I got from the lumber yard, tonight sometime and see how it goes. thanks again

#55 slammedon24s

slammedon24s

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Full Name:Keith Prins

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hey Tom,Your build reminds me of something I built a 1 1/2 years ago on another forum.It was a parts bin car.Which started as a '29 Ford Roadster Pickup and engine from a 25th anniversary Countach.It isn't perfect but I like how it turned out.Here is a link to it.

Also, I might also join in the fun,in a week or so.
http://www.briansmod...ts/project/4615

#56 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,906 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

thought about it, but trying to stay somewhat true to the guidelines of this build...using only stuff I have around the house. Will try a glue I got from the lumber yard, tonight sometime and see how it goes. thanks again

I think you are being too literal here. I think spare parts refers to spare "model" parts. Even if it is a "spare parts" build, you still need to use the proper tools to get he job done right. No one expects you to try to built this out of Tupperware and dried toothpaste. So instead of fighting with incompatable materials/glues, just get a sheet of styrene and some gap filling CA glue at the hobby store.

#57 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

I finally came up with my project for this CBP this afternoon while working on my "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" '64 Dodge 330 for the "Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music" CBP. It seems that I have a kitbashed Jo-Han 1960 Fury station wagon entered in the "Cannonball Run" CBP that will have the chassis and running gear from an AMT '57 Chrysler 300-C. Lightbulb moment: I know what I can do with the leftovers from those two! Since they would be headed straight for the patrs box anyhow, why not combine the two - creatively, of course. Out came the razor saw and off came most of the 300's roof, deck lid, and tulip panel. Yep, she's gonna be a '57 Chrysler Ute! I plan to use the rear part of the roof in a somewhat more upright position as the rear of the cab and scratchbuild the bed. I'll get different rolling stock from the parts box, and possibly a better engine than the lump from the Jo-Han Plymouth too.

#58 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

I've started! It is both a rat rod AND a spare parts build. I've finally built enough stuff to have spare parts! These bits are from the dual Model-T vintage/Drag Coupe kit, and as I have already made two cars using that kit, whatever is left over is fair game!

Posted Image

#59 SuperStockAndy

SuperStockAndy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • Full Name:Andy "Android" Conn

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'm out of this build, haven't even started yet, sorry

#60 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm off and running on my Chrysler "Ute". They say "measure twice and cut once"? My take on this one was "measure once, grind off a little, measure again, take off a little more, measure AGAIN and sand it down a tad more... " Here's the first body mock-up. I've ground down the quarter panels beside where the rear of the decklid went to reposition it in a more upright position, but I'll still have to modify the rear of the decklid to fit the hole...

Posted Image

I've been thinking about going curbside with this one. The engine bay "sheetmetal" I that removed from my Jo-Han Fury wagon got pretty tattered, and I don't know if I can salvage enough of it to be of any use.