#61 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Update on my Chrysler Ute. It now has a name - it's a fictitious, long-lost Chrysler prototype called "The Westerner". I made some major progress on it over the last few evenings, so here's where it stands at this moment. The roof is pretty much laid up, with only some filling and contouring left to go. The basic bed is in place, but I haven't opened up the sides where the wheel wells will be yet. I want to make sure of the exact location before I go cutting anything! I've even made up a wooden bed floor for it, which still needs sanding. The photo shows the wood floor laid in place with a couple of wheel houses cut off of the chassis of what I think was an AMT '64 Impala from my parts box and smoothed out for use out in the open. Like the wood deck, they're just sitting loose to give an idea of what it will look like once it's completed:

Posted Image

I've pretty much resigned myself to sealing up the back of the truck. There's no practical way to hinge a tailgate with that much horizontal curvature at it's base. I could reshape it so that it runs straight across, but 1) It wouldn't look nearly as cool and, 2) I'd have to reshape the bumper as well... That idea is strictly a non-starter!

#62 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Stone

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

I've pretty much resigned myself to sealing up the back of the truck. There's no practical way to hinge a tailgate with that much horizontal curvature at it's base. I could reshape it so that it runs straight across, but 1) It wouldn't look nearly as cool and, 2) I'd have to reshape the bumper as well... That idea is strictly a non-starter!

It would have to be a compound hinge, one that lifted the bottom while moving the top back - not unlike old garage doors.

And onto my build:

This has been an interesting modeling session - trying to give the driver somewhere to sit, and the engine somewhere to fit has resulted in the body getting shoved well back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by otherunicorn, 06 April 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#63 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

It would have to be a compound hinge, one that lifted the bottom while moving the top back - not unlike old garage doors.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure it has the cutlines, but there's NO WAY I'm going to try to fab up a set of compound hinges for it! I'll just say the actual vehicle had 'em and call it good. ;)

#64 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure it has the cutlines, but there's NO WAY I'm going to try to fab up a set of compound hinges for it! I'll just say the actual vehicle had 'em and call it good. ;)

Our doors don't open. Usually our trunks don't open. Sounds fine to me!

#65 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

Jim, not to sound stupid, but couldn't you use the trunk lid as a starting point? Cut it off just behind the lock, fab a inner wall which comes straight down to the bed. It would be very thick in scale, but you could say that's where the compound hinges hide!

Cool concept too.

G

Edited by Agent G, 08 April 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#66 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Jim, not to sound stupid, but couldn't you use the trunk lid as a starting point? Cut it off just behind the lock, fab a inner wall which comes straight down to the bed. It would be very thick in scale, but you could say that's where the compound hinges hide!

Cool concept too.

G

That's just what I'm doing! I changed it's angle a smidge so that it's more upright, but it still uses the majority of the vertical rear section of the decklid. I've had to add some plastic to the bottom and sides of it to raise it into it's new position and still have it look right. I also added some to the leading edge of the horizontal cut where I sliced it off the top of the decklid so that I could reshape it to a straighter line without losing any height. I want the inner panel of the tailgate to be flat so that it's usable as an extension of the bed floor when open as you would any other pickup tailgate. I'm even going to say that it has a top-hinged panel that the license plate mounts to so that the plate is visible when driving with the tailgate open! Now I just have to remember to include some sort of handle or button to allow the 'driver' to open the darn thing!

#67 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Yessiree, great minds do think alike!

:lol:

Keep it coming, I am liking this a lot.

G

#68 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I read through the whole 4 pages and I think I'm still a little confused. I was planning on building a rat rod from my 32 ford kit but only use the parts from that box. I only have 4 kits total so it's pretty slim pickings, I just use what I got. This will be my first rat rod, first extreme mod build (chopping, z'ing, scratch building, etc), and first community build.
So with that said, if I'm allowed to get in on this then I'm in.

#69 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I read through the whole 4 pages and I think I'm still a little confused. I was planning on building a rat rod from my 32 ford kit but only use the parts from that box. I only have 4 kits total so it's pretty slim pickings, I just use what I got. This will be my first rat rod, first extreme mod build (chopping, z'ing, scratch building, etc), and first community build.
So with that said, if I'm allowed to get in on this then I'm in.

If you are building a rat rod, you can use any parts you like, so welcome to the build.

#70 68Chevelle327

68Chevelle327

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Full Name:Justin Durrant

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

im sorry if i missed if it said yes or no but can anyone jump in? or is it just between a few of ya? lol cuz i have a rat rod i have been working on i grew up around them an one of the more well known ones... the Green Grenade if any of you are into the 1:1 rat rods i watched that one get build my whole child hood so its always been a big part of my life

#71 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

im sorry if i missed if it said yes or no but can anyone jump in? or is it just between a few of ya? lol cuz i have a rat rod i have been working on i grew up around them an one of the more well known ones... the Green Grenade if any of you are into the 1:1 rat rods i watched that one get build my whole child hood so its always been a big part of my life

See the quote below re another fellow that asked the same thing. While I am not running this build, I'd say anyone who is interested is encouraged to join. The guy who is "running" it doesn't appear to have posted since Feb.

Depends, just post a picture of how far you got and what you have. But I suppose you can just finish the one you have

Edited by otherunicorn, 14 April 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#72 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

The wheels are the closest two wheels that were on the bench just propped under it. I put in pedals, and despite having them
well back, they still foul the cab. That's the problem with having such done a savage section to the body. Bah, and my lovely
little Model T steering wheel vanished while I wasn't looking. I didn't see where it fell, and can't find it.

Posted Image

#73 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

The wheels are the closest two wheels that were on the bench just propped under it. I put in pedals, and despite having them
well back, they still foul the cab. That's the problem with having such done a savage section to the body. Bah, and my lovely
little Model T steering wheel vanished while I wasn't looking. I didn't see where it fell, and can't find it.

Posted Image

That thing is pretty sick! Gonna look good when it's done

#74 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

Update on my Chrysler Ute. It now has a name - it's a fictitious, long-lost Chrysler prototype called "The Westerner". I made some major progress on it over the last few evenings, so here's where it stands at this moment. The roof is pretty much laid up, with only some filling and contouring left to go. The basic bed is in place, but I haven't opened up the sides where the wheel wells will be yet. I want to make sure of the exact location before I go cutting anything! I've even made up a wooden bed floor for it, which still needs sanding. The photo shows the wood floor laid in place with a couple of wheel houses cut off of the chassis of what I think was an AMT '64 Impala from my parts box and smoothed out for use out in the open. Like the wood deck, they're just sitting loose to give an idea of what it will look like once it's completed:

Posted Image

I like this alot ! While I was cutting my 300 to make a wagon I thought it would make a neat El Camino type build ! Glad to see it being done . Keep posting pictures .
BOB.

#75 wraith

wraith

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Full Name:Darrick Aulner

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Posted Image

VERY COOL! I can't wait to see it finished!

#76 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Thanks, guys! I love builds like this that let my imagination run rampant. It might wind up with a proper 300 chassis under it one of these days after the parts box build is completed if the body turns out as well as I'm hoping. On the other hand, if it were an actual Chrysler concept car, it could well have any corporate running gear under it just to make it mobile.

#77 rctruk

rctruk

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Bard

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I'd like to try.... .Got a box of nascar parts and a couple of 55 chev pick ups.....mix them together and see what happensPosted Image

Edited by rctruk, 22 April 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#78 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'd like to try.... .Got a box of nascar parts and a couple of 55 chev pick ups.....mix them together and see what happens.

I LIKE IT - GO FOR IT!!! B)

#79 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

Note to Corvair Jim: Keep it up with the Chrysler Ute; I may try one later..it really looks great so far.

#80 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Posted Image

I found my steering wheel! On the floor, about 2 meters from where I was working, just in front of my huge parts box.