#2 espo

espo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Full Name:david espenshade

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

What is it used for? Looks like it could be fun. Has that guy got a 1) Key board. 2) Computer board. 3) Getting ready to set off an avalanche ?

#3 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

Dave, that's a cool build, and I think it would make a great diorama too. Great find.

#4 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Adam Cordoza Cortez

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Very cool. From the words I could pick out in the article its a portable DJ booth for Ski events.

http://www.kaeferblo...oamtc-raupenbus

#5 Dave Ambrose

Dave Ambrose

MCM Avid Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ambrose

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

My German might be a little rusty, but this is an Austrian creation. The interior rises on hydraulics to give a full featured, modern DJ booth. To borrow a bit of phrasing from the article; Es ist sehr coolen! Ich sage, ausgeseichnet!

#6 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

Should be fairly easy to replicate. Hasegawa VW Van meets Moebius LIS Chariot?

The real thing advertises the services of the ÖAMTC, which is the Austrian equivalent of the AA.

The bus is used to make some awful noise which nowadays is considered music to further disturb the already endangered wildlife of the Alps, host a quiz and people can win ski and snowboard equipment in a sweepstake.

#7 roadhawg

roadhawg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Logan

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:26 AM

Interesting, but I was mislead by the title "Cool VW Bus"......I thought they were ALL cool. :P

#8 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

The following is a translation of the article on: http://www.kaeferblo...oamtc-raupenbus

VW Bus T1 Slope Bulli ÖAMTC Tracked Bus

On 27th December 2010 at the Hochkar, the ÖAMTC started an Austria-wide ski-slope tournament with the theme "Tell The Bulli".
Centre stage is a ca. 40 year-old VW Bus, a T1. The classic VW T1 Bus has been converted into a multi-media snow track. A hydraulically operated deck and multi-media equipment make the ÖAMTC-Bulli the highlight of any ski-slope.
On the slopes, one can take a sun-bath on an enormous inflatable sofa and relax at teh cool sound from the snow track Bulli.

Should one have questions about the ÖAMTC, there is a separate info-tent where one can get answers and sign up to become a member.
Who solves a Snowboard-puzzle in the shortest time, wins a cool gift.

Tell The Bulli Your Opinion:

If you want to let the ÖAMTC know your opinion, or have ideas or suggestions, you can also do this at the VW Bus T1 Pistenbulli.
And you have the chance to win something exiting.
At the VW Bulli of the ÖAMTC you can have yourself filmed, and the vidoe will be published on Facebook and Youtube.
On Facebook, you can vote for the best videos. The 3 most popular videos which got the most votes will win ski-snowvboard equipment after the Pisten Bulli Tour has finished.

Here are the links:
http://www.facebook.com/OEAMTCyoung
http://www.youtube.com/oeamtcyoung

An explanation is due:

"Bulli" is the generic German nickname of a VW T1 Bus.

BUT

"PistenBulli" is the registered trademark of the Kässbohrer snow groomers, which are the most commonly used ones in the Alps and every skier there is familiar with them. They are so commonplace that people call all snow groomers there "Pistenbulli", no matter what make or model they are. A bit like 'Velcro'.
"Piste" (pl. "Pisten") is the German word for a groomed ski-slope.

Hence, to use a "Bulli" to create a snow track for "Pisten", i.e. a "Pistenbulli", is a twist most people in the know will find very amusing.

Edited by Junkman, 20 February 2012 - 05:32 AM.