#21 rctruk

rctruk

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Bard

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

Another plus for linux os is that you can get it for free as opposed to 250$$ for windows 7 ultimate

#22 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Was this thread supposed to be about computer stuff, or did it just turn out that way because of the OP? Seems like it was intended for tips and tricks about car modeling.

I just discovered that the best way to see mold lines and other flaws is to take your model outside early in the morning or late in the afternoon. But that tip has nothing to do with Linux, so maybe I'm in the wrong department?

#23 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Was this thread supposed to be about computer stuff, or did it just turn out that way because of the OP? Seems like it was intended for tips and tricks about car modeling.

I just discovered that the best way to see mold lines and other flaws is to take your model outside early in the morning or late in the afternoon. But that tip has nothing to do with Linux, so maybe I'm in the wrong department?

It just turned out that way because of Harry (If you don't use Windows or Mac, what do you use?). What the OP was trying to say is that when he sees a useful tip on the internet, he copies it and saves it to a file in a directory on his computer. That way, it is easy for him to find again. Non-computer/OS specific. People do it with index cards and paper notebooks, too.

#24 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

I think when people see the subject line and start scrolling down, they see only computer info, and assume that that's what the thread is all about. Which it is.

What about changing the subject line to "Computer Tips and Tricks for Modelers"? If you reply "Hey, that's a good idea!" I'll recommend it to Gregg.

#25 mysterj1

mysterj1

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Full Name:Joe

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm not arguing with you, I was just curious, since 99% of PC people use some version of MS Windows.

As for me, I don't use Windows at all, I'm Mac all the way and have been from day 1. So Windows vs. Linux doesn't even apply.

For my $0.02, the Mac operating system has evolved from a BSD-based (UNIX) operating system; Linux is an open-source variant of the UNIX operating system. I know there are lots of symantecs here that the Mac folks might step on my toes over, but in a nutshell this is where they come from. Plus Linux OS variants are USUALLY free!