#161 Mopar - D

Mopar - D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Slade

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

My pre order from GMS arrived today. Looks just like the pictures. Real nice kit.

#162 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

hey james...ive been dying to get a review build going but i dont have the kit ....maybe i can con ya into doing a review build on it? :lol:

#163 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for photos.

#164 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

At some point, someone will have to offer a more detailed reefer unit with decals. The kit Thermo King appears extremely rudimentary.

Reefer unit itself looks okay to me- but I'd agree it could use some decal embellishments, though.
http://www.thermokin...cts/SB-310 .jpg

#165 phoneguy

phoneguy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Full Name:Jerry

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

I picked the kit up today and hopefully I will have some reefer options shortly.

#166 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

The biggest disappointment about this kit is the reefer, it rather the complete after thought of including it. It's just a reefer shaped chunk of plastic with seperate grills. There's no handle on the front for the access door, there's no control panel for the reefer, and there's no "divot" in the front trailer wall for the external monitoring lights. Even if they decided to not "divot" the front wall so people could build a dry van without filling it, there's still no parts for the external monitor.

When you look at the excellent level of intricate molding of things like separate slider rails, the dolly gear box, the brake chambers, the inclusion of brake drums that have their lug pattern molded open, etc the "ehh that looks like a reefer unit right?" on something that had been marketed from day one as a reefer trailer is baffling and sad.

#167 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

When you look at the excellent level of intricate molding of things like separate slider rails, the dolly gear box, the brake chambers, the inclusion of brake drums that have their lug pattern molded open, etc the "ehh that looks like a reefer unit right?" on something that had been marketed from day one as a reefer trailer is baffling and sad.

Dave Metzner mentioned Moebius was unable to secure licensing from Thermo King.:

Sorry, there will be no Thermo King logos etc.. we have no license for that right now.

Dave

Without permission, they can't design something that looks exactly like TK's reefer unit and not face some serious legal action.

#168 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Casey a reefer is a reefer, they all have 2 bay access doors, a control panel, and an external monitor (that little green light on the trailer corner). If anything designing it the way they did with the separate grilles the way they are would identify it as T.K. Unit. I didn't expect logos and markings, I just expected something that could pass for something other than a solid bay window.

Edited by niteowl7710, 02 October 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#169 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Every gripe and complaint about this model has been address several times on this truck model board. Anyone can search the previous Moebius Great Dane Reefer threads and find the redundant statements.

It use to be easier to search until the pick up truck threads and real truck threads were mixed up.

The reefer unit is the least of the true big rig modeler's concerns. There are ways to add a realistic reefer units to this fine trailer.

As was stated multiple times, we were informed very early in the development that the reefer unit would not be as accurate as the trailer itself.

In fact an after market modeler asked what future aftermarket truck items we wanted. I suggested a modern detailed reefer unit, among other things I didn't see too many other suggestions.

This kit is more than I expected and is just what I have been looking for at least 20 years.

It's less of an issue than the difference between a flare side and a step side pick up car.

#170 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Every gripe and complaint about this model has been address several times on this truck model board. Anyone can search the previous Moebius Great Dane Reefer threads and find the redundant statements.

It use to be easier to search until the pick up truck threads and real truck threads were mixed up.

You need to look no further than the topic you're posting in, Chuck, as the previous. multiple GD Reefer threads have all been combined into this one. No difficult searching required.

The Precedent looks similar in overall shape, but the grilles are totally different looking than the SB-30 and Spectrum series, so I don't think "one is accurate for all" would apply here?: http://www.na.thermo...-transport.html

#171 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well shoot I've only griped about one thing so far, and my overall thoughts are far more positive, than negative as I had a chance to post more pictures of the parts runners. But since apparently everything I'm going to say about this kit has already been said (despite it only existing in retail form for less than a week) I guess I don't need to bother finishing what I think about it. I only drag a Great Dane/Thermo King trailer behind me 275+ dayss year, so what do I know about how wrong, or right it might be.

Edited by niteowl7710, 02 October 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#172 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,915 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I guess I don't need to bother finishing what I think about it.

James, please share what you think about it, it would be nice to hear about the kit from someone who has the kit, and not the I will be buying a case of it :lol:

#173 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I only drag a Great Dane/Thermo King trailer behind me 275+ dayss year, so what do I know about how wrong, or right it might be.

Hmmmmm.... I'd have to say the opinion of the man who sees the thing in his mirrors most of the year would carry quite a bit more weight than that of the typical armchair expert. I'd like to hear that guy's take on the kit, especially since I'm getting more than a few of these Great Danes. Gotta be prepared for when the ProStar gets here. B)

#174 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,915 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

I would like to know, how easy or hard will it be to make the doors open ?

#175 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hmmmmm.... I'd have to say the opinion of the man who sees the thing in his mirrors most of the year would carry quite a bit more weight than that of the typical armchair expert. I'd like to hear that guy's take on the kit, especially since I'm getting more than a few of these Great Danes. Gotta be prepared for when the ProStar gets here. B)

Note, I'm not trying to flame this thread.

The trailer will couple to more than the not available yet ProStar.

#176 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Casey a reefer is a reefer, they all have 2 bay access doors, a control panel, and an external monitor (that little green light on the trailer corner). If anything designing it the way they did with the separate grilles the way they are would identify it as T.K. Unit. I didn't expect logos and markings, I just expected something that could pass for something other than a solid bay window.

I stand corrected. I didn't see the separate grilles earlier, and on my laptop the parts pics are much clearer, so it does look a lot like an actual TK unit when compared to an actual 1:1 TK unit.

What were you hoping for as far as the reefer is concerned, detail-wise? Separate doors? Just not so blob like? :D

#177 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Alright back to the goodies...

For Jonathan...Here's the front and rear panels. How hard or easy to open those doors...man I dunno...the nubs on the tops and bottoms are integral to the entire unit being structurally square, so if you did open the doors, you'd have to figure out a way to re-attach those to whatever you fabbed up, not to mention I'm not sure how you re-replicate the door hinges themselves. it might be easier to de-chrome the entire thing and re-shoot it in Alclad or wrap it in BMF since the door hardware itself (handles, swivel hinges, door hinges and all the bolts and whatnot) isn't chrome, not even on the most tricked out Owner-Op rig. Moebius gets bonus points in my book for molding in the tiny rubber donuts that are on the bottom hinge that keep the hinge from scuffing the paint on the trailer. However the chrome itself seems a little...shellacky? Kind of thick and gooey in spots. The front panel has a rudimentary light-line socket, but no airline gladhands, so you can make your trailer light up, but it ain't going no where.

Posted Image

For Casey...here's the reefer unit (along with the grilles and mudflaps on the runner). Now the size, shape, and overall look is fine. It's kinda clunky in one piece, but it does come off as a passable T.K. Spectrum SB *shhhh it's not really a T.K...don't want to scare the lawyers*
Posted Image

However what isn't included in the kit, or on those babysmooth reefer sides is the requisite parts that make it "go". There's no handle on the door, there should be a semi-circular door handle on the right (top in the photo) door that would allow bay access to the motor. No I don't expect the doors to open, but the handle being molded in would have been nice (especially considering the grilles are separate pieces). It's also missing the entire area (again didn't have to be an exact T.K. unit, but all reefers have this control panel) where the temperature/diagnostic control panel goes. There's also no representation in the kit of the "divot" that the external monitoring light (on a Thermo King it's a Green "T" when it's A-O.K., and Amber "K" when it's check engine light is on and the dreaded flashing T-K-T-K-T-K when you have a critical failure). Even if they didn't want to cast the divot in the front wall for the dry van folks, there is an "after-market" setup where a piece of stainless steel is rivoted to that area and the monitor is mounted to that. I ran outside and shot my reefer to show what's missing, I apologize for the mist...
Posted Image

FWIW I know it wasn't going to be an official T.K., so I wasn't expecting the logos, the Spectrum SB labeling, the Ingersol-Rand logo, etc. But some attempt at...well we've hashed that out already.

#178 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Note, I'm not trying to flame this thread.

The trailer will couple to more than the not available yet ProStar.

I agree this trailer will look great behind the LoneStar, a Volvo, a Pete, a KW, and for that ultimate show truck look any of the recent AMT reissues. Although it needs MOOOAAAR chicken lights for that! ;)

#179 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

I agree this trailer will look great behind the LoneStar, a Volvo, a Pete, a KW, and for that ultimate show truck look any of the recent AMT reissues. Although it needs MOOOAAAR chicken lights for that! ;)

Exactly (except for the chicken lights).

Any truck modeler would know that.

Thanks for your first impression review of the kit.

As for the glad hands. There are after market gland hands, scale hinges of many types as well has other after market items. Stripping the chrome is something that should be done on every model kit. The factory plating is always too thick and not very realistic. Stripping the chrome always exposes more of the molded detail. Alclad, for example has many shades of metal to accurately reproduce many materials.

Edited by chuckyr, 03 October 2012 - 01:53 AM.

#180 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

Exactly (except for the chicken lights).

Any truck modeler would know that.

Thanks for your first impression review of the kit.

Not a fan of extra lighting I take it? To each their own. LEDs have sorta revolutionized the "chicken light" frontier since they draw such low amps, no more flickering light shows rolling down the road.

I do however notice this is the 2nd reference you've made about some apparently Masonic rite of passage one must go through to become a "truck modeler/true big rig builder". Was there an entrance exam I failed to take or are you this charming with everyone that bothers to scroll down this far in the forum basement?

I ain't done yet, when I am, then you can thank me, but you aren't running me out if here no matter how badly you might try.

Edited by niteowl7710, 03 October 2012 - 02:34 AM.