#1 Big Daddy

Big Daddy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Full Name:daryl turner

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

I just finished painting body and through all my percautions i still got 3 specks of dust that settled on paint how can i get them off with out messing up paint job ,,( painted with boyd enamel )

#2 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Let the paint really cure,Use the sniff test, And then sand &/or polish out the specks and reshoot. Don't forget to wash off the body and when dry,use a tack rag right before painting.

#3 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Not trying to hijack here, but I have the same problem(painting outside, arghh). What is a tack rag?

#4 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

It's a cloth saturated with a sticky rosin type stuff. You gently rub on the car body and it removes dust and other crud before painting. I see them at Hobby lobby under testors label,or you can go to a auto body supply and get them there. They are too large for model cars,so I open the package and open them up and cut them to a more manageable size. You don't rub hard ,just gently and there is no need to wash the body after,just shoot the paint.

#5 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Painting can be a pretty tedious process specially when you are going for the perfect paintjob or in my case, when you are a little too picky. :lol: I like to lightly mist my first 3 coats, let the paint dry and check for any particles. If all is well, I will continue with slightly heavier or wet coats, let it dry and check again. If I do encounter any dust or particles, I will wetsand and continue painting after I am satisfied. I will do the same thing with the clear if I decide to clear coat. Remember, you get out what you put in. ;)

#6 Big Daddy

Big Daddy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Full Name:daryl turner

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

everything was going great, first time spraying a pearl and it turned out great , i have a old fridge thats not working so i put them in there when i'm done for a few days and from the paint booth to the fridge there they were 3 particals inbedded in the paint grrrrr

#7 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

When I'm finished spraying paint, I leave the room for at least a couple of hours to avoid stirring up dust and to allow the model to dry a little before I move it.

#8 espo

espo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Full Name:david espenshade

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Your in a cooler climate, be sure that you are not whereing any wool clothing. If you have even been whereing a wool shirt while working on your model and later try to paint it it will sometimes get into the paint.

#9 knyte91

knyte91

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Full Name:Kirt Louis Dillon

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hi gang,
I am painting a hood. I use Tamiyas primer. I wash the hood let it air dry. Unfortunately I have to paint in the basement which is always cool. I use the tack cloth but always get dust particles in the paint. I have redone the hood twice now. Its still in primer but has dust in the paint. Any ideas what to do? This is getting annoying. I use rattle can until I get what I need for my airbrush.

#10 phil-east

phil-east

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Full Name:Phil East

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

i'm the same as cruz, i just keep checking and wetsanding untill i'm happy. I also never move the model when the paint is wet and i leave the room whilst the paint drys. I paint in a shed in my back garden so dust particles can be an issue but i'm just thorough with my sanding and carefull with cleanliness around my painting area.

#11 knyte91

knyte91

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

i'm the same as cruz, i just keep checking and wetsanding untill i'm happy. I also never move the model when the paint is wet and i leave the room whilst the paint drys. I paint in a shed in my back garden so dust particles can be an issue but i'm just thorough with my sanding and carefull with cleanliness around my painting area.

I dont touch it after I paint it. I also leave the basement for awhile. Looks like I will have to wet sand it down. What grit of sandpaper do I use? Im just trying to get this right. The body turned out fine but the hood is giving me issues.

#12 phil-east

phil-east

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

i use a 1500 grit wet and dry paper, i make sure the area to be sanded stays wet throughout and i lightly sand it down in a circular motion. i then clean it off and respray. Have you tried doing lighter coats with the spray and building it up more gently ?

#13 knyte91

knyte91

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hi,
Yes I have done the lighter coats & it turned out much better. I used a tack cloth before I primered the hood. Still havent painted the actual color. So far no more dust but I will check before I paint the next color. Thank you for the help.

#14 phil-east

phil-east

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

no problems at all, i'm pretty new to building and i've picked up a lot from the guys on this forum, i'm just happy to help for a change ! usually it's me asking for advise.

Good luck with the colour, let me know how it turns out, the wet sanding gets me some much better results so i now do it with every coat of paint i apply regardless of if it needs it or not.

#15 knyte91

knyte91

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have another question... I need to cover the hood to paint the scoop. Can I use the liquid mask or should I use tape? If I use tape, what kind do I use? The hood is still in primer. Main color is silver. Just dont want to peel off the paint if I use tape.

#16 phil-east

phil-east

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

i have just started using 6mm Tamiya masking tape and love it ! before i was using poor quality masking tape from a pound shop and had nothing but trouble. the tamiya stuff has been fine for me in terms of not pulling paint away and i am now getting nice clean edges too.

I have only used masking fluid for small intricate details so i'm not sure about using it on a larger area. I'd expect it would be fine as long as you keep the edges neat and tidy.

#17 knyte91

knyte91

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

There's alot I still have to get. I did try the liquid mask on the hood & it peeled off fine. Had to put on 3 layers but other than that it turned out good. Im thinking the tape will be better since I dont have to wait for tape to dry. I appreciate all the info. Going to a friends house later to learn how to use my airbrush. hope it goes well as Im nervous & hate bad paint jobs.

#18 phil-east

phil-east

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

i have used an airbrush a few times but i'm average at best with it, i use rattle cans whenever i can but if the colour i need isn't available i use the airbrush.

when i use the masking fluid i always put it on really thick, did you get nice neat lines using the liquid ?

#19 knyte91

knyte91

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

I was happy with the lines just not when I tried to paint the scoop. I think my masking was alittle too close so I touched it up with brush paint. I ended up stripping the hood down & starting over. As of now, its still in primer.

I usually use rattle cans myself but would like to get used to an airbrush.

#20 sportandmiah

sportandmiah

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Arnold Jackson

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

I recommend the new painters here search the Donn Yost related threads and posts. All your questions will be answered.