#21 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Full Name:Mitchell S. Peoples

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Old thread, new feedback. Yes to a simple 19.95 to Donn Yost and his DVD. He gives tips for both shaker cans and spray systems.

Big thumbs up to Cruz, whom I got good step by step instruction from, but never mastered it on my 1st model. I'm proud to say that after building and detailing 3 additional models, I finally got the courage to try again. It gets tough getting motivated to try more builds when your bench is filled with 3-4 finished chassis! Anyway, I finally got one of those $80 paint booths that vents to a window. Despite following all steps and getting a great finishing primer on and getting 3 great misting coats, somewhere during the 4 base coats the lovely fibrous filter included in the booth shed about 4 nits. Let's just say you get what you pay for.

Anyway, despite my concerns of having to strip the body, I followed Cruz's instructions and used some 3600 to gradually remove the nits by rubbing a circular motion. After a wash and then drying with a modelling (lint) cloth, I resprayed a light misting layer. Right now it in the booth drying and will remain covered for the needed drying time until I'm ready to clear.

My point? Have no fear. Search here. Someone has the answer and there are many good suggestions!

#22 DrGlueblob

DrGlueblob

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Full Name:Chip Johnson

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I run my booth fan for several minutes prior to painting. I also have a spray bottle of water and spray a light mist over all the booth surfaces before painting. Keeps the Dust Bunnies away.

#23 Stuntman Mike

Stuntman Mike

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin L.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:06 AM

I let my freshly painted bodies rest upside down as soon as the painting is done. I tape a bent clothes hanger to the inside of the body. While painting the wire acts as a grip, after painting the wire acts as a hanger. This method has minimized dust specks to almost zero on my builds.

#24 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Full Name:Mitchell S. Peoples

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

+1 - DrGlueblob. I also warm the spray can up in a small tupperware container a little bit before shooting. I also leave the fan running for a while so the house doesn't fume up.

Stuntman Mike - Awesome idea! Now that the weather is better here in VA, I've been painting outside in the garage, sitting the body on a 2x4 propped between a couple of buckets. That leaves a lot of risk for dust to circulate.

I've got my last body, the Shoebox Ford, ready to paint the exterior and I'm going to try your suggestion.

Does anyone have a recommended clear coat BTW? I've tried Testors and it must have been hot or bad as it reacted with the Testors "One Coat" Revvin' Red metallic base coat and I had to wet sand some areas with 3600 and re-mist the areas, then add another wet coat for good measure. I've tried the floor clean & shine tip on my first model last year, a '66 Nova and it turned out very shiny, but I don't know what will happen to decals in the long run.