#61 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Your best bet is to strip all of the chrome except for maybe the wheels and valve covers and repaint it once most of the larger assemblies are together. Since all of the structural components of the chassis are plated with tiny attachment points removing the chrome is about the only way to get a strong enough bond to hold it all together. If I ever try to build this kit again that is what I will do.

#62 Mysterion

Mysterion

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Richard

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

I just finished the engine build up; some poor alignment of pins and holes and "de-chromed" blemishes near attachment points. Still looks pretty good from a few feet away. I'm dreading the all- chrome frame. I'm going to substitute the thin plastic rear axle with a brass rod of similar thickness to give more strength to the rear frame assembly.

#63 Lanny Haas

Lanny Haas

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Full Name:Lanny Haas

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

the plastic is real brittle, this is what is left of the chassis, after I slamed it on my work table,
Posted Image

So after i thought about a 63 year old acting like a 2 year old, I peiced it all back together, but painted it black, I also reworked the rear end, I added tubes to it.

Posted Image

Got it all back together, the headers are not easy to install, I had to remove the starter, cant see it anyway..

Posted Image

but I finished it......
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#64 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

lanny lanny lanny...

nice recovery though, man you are whipping through that thing. maybe now that you know what the challenges are, you should get another and take like a month or something to do it. but it does look pretty respectable as it turned out!

edit:

ps:

>the plastic is real brittle

:P

Edited by jbwelda, 14 April 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#65 Lanny Haas

Lanny Haas

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Full Name:Lanny Haas

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

nice recovery though, man you are whipping through that thing. maybe now that you know what the challenges are, you should get another and take like a month or something to do it. but it does look pretty respectable as it turned o

;)

yes thinking the same thing

#66 retroguy

retroguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Full Name:Michael

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

Well I've been working on the kit and went ahead and dechromed everything except the whls,the frame was atrocious,spent at least an hour alone,just cleaning it. :angry: :(!
I'm now doing the same to the rest of the parts,wow <_< :angry:!
I guess I'm expecting to much considering the age of the tooling,oh well,maybe someone from revell will this review and make new tooling... :lol: yea right!

Edited by retroguy, 15 April 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#67 gwangi-boy

gwangi-boy

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Full Name:mark rollie

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

First time I built this was in the early 70s, and the next time a couple of years ago ... its never been an easy build, and it sure left an impression on me when I was a kid!

I took my time for this build, and went for the drag look, before it hit the show circuit and everything was chromed, using the cover story from "Hot Rod" magazine for reference. The frame has some really bad seam lines, so had to dechrome that and paint with Alcald (and then I handled the frame so much the Alclad wore off in a couple of spots, so had to redo those areas).

The build pictured here is the one that has the resin hood, which was warped and had to be reshaped. I wish Revell had taken the time to retool a styrene hood years ago, but I don't know why they went the resin route for it.

Posted Image

#68 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Has anyone ever built one of these in colors other than orange? For some reason I cannot imagine it. I was planing to build mine in metal flake red, but not sure what it would look like.

#69 250 Testa Rossa

250 Testa Rossa

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Full Name:Maxx Kominski

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Still have mine. Haven't even touched it yet.

#70 Duntov

Duntov

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Lucianno

"Mi sono perso"

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

This is a neat thread about a very favorite car....  saw the real one as I grew up in Portland and knew Bob.... Unfortunately, he passed away many years ago....

This is probably one kit that will be re-built... or is it re-attempted the most of any!!!

One good thing about the newest re-issue is the re-tooled hood....  the previous one had a really shoddy resin piece that was hardly useable...

One bad thing.....   Bob's picture is no longer on the box......

#71 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Looking at the color Casey, I think it is original. I still have the hood and doors from the original issue, and the color is spot on. I have the entire chrome tree too, and the flash is not more than any 60's kit. 

#72 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Tone

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I just picked up one, started building, and poor fit, lots of flash and ejector marks. instruction sheet, miss leading, at least to me. installed the rear end 3 tims, as it keep breaking off. on the good side, nice motor, body, and front tires and wheels. but in the end, those were the only parts that survied, after bouncing it off the wall

If youthink there is a lot of flash on this one, try picking up the hot rod magazine issue of this kit. Some of the sprues look like a thin sheet of yellow plastic with parts embedded in it. the chrome tree was similar, it was like the mold wasnt clamped tightly together.

the pics that Jeff posted show a pretty well molded kit for the age and use of the mold. looking forward to getting a couple. like a lot of guys, my first one did not end up built out of the box. mine from when i was a kid has the blown 409 withe the 4 side draft carbs from the amt 57 chevy. Really happy to see this one, the boot hill express, and the mickey thompson challenger reissued. now if they would dig out the molds for the lil coffin and reissue those too.......

Edited by Toner283, 16 February 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#73 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

Good to hear this is being re-issued . This is another kit I did as a kid, so most likely I'll add one to my shelf for later one

#74 Fender

Fender

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Sears

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Okay- if I remember right the OC came out in about 63?  It was orange plastic.- right? I have an OC that's blue plastic. When was that reissue ( I don't have the box)??- I have a reissue from a few years ago but I never opened it up to see what color the plastic is. Is it orange? Thanks guys.

#75 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

I have an OC that's blue plastic. When was that reissue?

1976-ish?

#76 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Tone

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

kind of funny. The box is marked classic coupes. 32 Ford coupe street rod. last I checked the orange crate is a tudor. good example of the ad copy guy not knowing what the heck he was talking about.

#77 gman

gman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Peters

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

Thank goodness this one was restored to its original state.  :)

...seemed like a good idea at the time  :( .

#78 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

I too have fond memories of this as a teenager. It was a challenge, as much as the Stone Wood's and Cook Willys in a lot of ways. Fragile as hell, and the seams on the chrome parts did not sit well. I built mine OOTB as it was intended. IIRC, the rear axle in the original kit was a steel axle. Wish I still had it. I'll be picking up another one to recreate it as I have the Willy's.

BTW, the picture of the decal sheet shows two different "looks" for the caricature of the car. I don't remember which was the original......

I do have one of the re-issues with the head lights as part of the hood. Intended to build a Salt Lakes version, but never got too far.

#79 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

1976-ish?

Square headlights or anything on a deuce is just wrong :wacko:   

Built the blue one when I was 13 at a campground in Spokane in the mid seventies after we bought it at the white elephant store. Bit of a challenge but enjoyed the build; still have it around somewhere....

mike