Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you use as primer?

The couple of kits I have built, all seem to require a lot of parts to be painted black.

What I have been doing is undercoating with white, then spraying black. I do this because the paint doesn't stick very well especially on the chassis, which gets a lot of handling.

I figured if I just undercoated (primered) with black, it would save a lot of time and fiddling.

What primer do people use?

For white and grey I use Tamiya rattle cans.

I tried some grey Badger which sprayed beautifully, but reacted with Tamiya paints or Tamiya reacted with it, so I have stopped using it.

I guess I am looking for a slightly cheaper option than Tamiya, if available. If not I'll buy some Tamiya black primer.

Plasi Kote comes in gray,red,white and black. It's the only primer I'll use.

Which paints do you use with the Plasti Kote primer...i have been wanting to change to a cheaper in cost primer (i use Tamiya at this time).and also spray with Tamiya TS-sprays..

sometimes i will use Model Masters Lacquer Sprays...

Thanks for any information...Cheers.....Don

This question was actually prompted because I went to buy a can of Citadel Black primer and was told it was $27.00. I nearly fell over.

I politely told the guy I didn't have enough and left. Way too much $$$, it's good but not that good.

You Live in Australia,so some products available here may not be there.

I use Plasti- Kote primer,both the white and the gray.I don't like the black or red oxide for personal reasons but some prefer it. I will still use Tamiya white under a bright color as it seems to make those colors pop like no other.

I did go to their website and you can get it here, but not so much locally.

I went to Bunnings anyway and purchased a can of white knight, satin black enamel spray.

Tried it when I got home, didn't melt the spruce, didn't rub off.

So I painted some parts for the firebird and it seems to work great, I could even paint some acrylic detailing over the top.

Next experiment is to try some Tamiya rattle can on it.

And it only cost 8 for the can.

I use mostly Tamiya TS sprays. I also use the occasional Model Masters and Dupli Color laquers. No problems with any of them. The white primer won't lay down quite as nice as the gray does,but will sand down very nicely. The closer and wetter you spray it,the better. I usually spray in the 6-8 inch range.

Thank-You for the useful information.. ;)

What do guys use when spraying automotive lacquer as a top coat. I have done a lot of custom painting on 1:1 cars and have a pretty good stock of Metalflake Candy colors and base coats I would like to use.

I know that they are quite hot and can melt plastic so is there a primer/sealer that will act as a barrier coat?

Thanks guys,

@Ron, Trying the Dupli-Color primer right now. I had a couple of coats of Tamiya White primer on already and had the body blocked out so I just shot a dry coat on and let if flash off and a second wet coat. I'll give it a day or so to dry and shoot it.

Just today I went to my local unclaimed freight store and found boxes and boxes of Dupli-Color for a buck each... Couldn't pass it up so I bought a few.

@Jonathan , FUNNY... I have a little experiment trying exactly that!

Does it create a good barrier for lacquer? Will it allow me to lay a good glossy coat of auto paint on? I am using the fastest thinner I can get so it isn't too hot.

Thanks for any help you can give, I am not new to making models but never shot lacquer on them before.

Bob

Here is a picture of my test using Future as a base/barrier coat with Dupli-Color primer and paint.

I put 2 coats of Future on the top section and let it dry 1/2 hour between coats and about 12 hours before my test. The picture doesn't show it clearly but the Future section crazed as soon as I put the primer on and crazed a bit more when I color coated it. They are a very small and fine cracks but enough to spoil a paint job.

The next one down is just primer and paint. You can see no crazing at all.

The final one is just color over bare plastic.

As a note, I laid both the primer and the paint down in 2 double wet coats giving it only about 1/2 hour between priming and painting.

I was quite surprised to see that neither the primer or straight color didn't craze the plastic.

@ Doctor Cranky, Thanks for the reply and info. I just bought some Plastikote. Obviousely you get excellent results with it so it is well worth a try. I also just bought some Tamyia Acrylics I want to try but that will be another build.

post-9360-0-28870900-1332959760_thumb.jp

Edited by RobRus

• 2 weeks later...

Ray - I almost always only use White Knight primers from Bunnings. Grey, White or Red Oxide depending on what i'm painting. They were labelled as "Super Primer" but they have just re-badged them as something else and I can't remember what they called them. I'm pretty sure that they kept the formula the same though as they smell the same and the white at least goes on the same.

These primers go on nicely from the can and sand well.

I also favour the white Knight "Squirts" white undercoat between primer & colour which also goes on easilly and sands even better.

Over these paints I have put acrylic & enamel colour coats with no problems (well, none caused by the paints reacting anyway!).

While you are in Bunnings check out the White Knight Squirts coloured enamels as well - they work well if you have the patience to use enamels. They do these in both rattle cans and tins if you want to airbrush them on (I thin them with Tamiya enamel thinners although I will be trying out Don Yost's cheap lacquer thinners tip). Range of colours in the tins is limited though.

HTH