#21 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Wow! I see there is a certain theme in the responses!

#22 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Wow! I see there is a certain theme in the responses!

Uh huh! Several of us have been there, done that, and still regret what we did. I can't, in good conscience, sit back and watch someone else make the same mistake I made, without at least throwing my hat in the ring... I still have 'down times' when I just don't feel like doing any building. The longest was three months...Long story short; I'm still building. Over the winter, I felt like giving it up. Today, I have 3 stock Model-T's on the bench along with 5 other projects, in various levels of completion. Does this sound like the same person that was seriously considering getting out of it a few months ago???

Edited by Wagoneer81, 26 March 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#23 CadillacPat

CadillacPat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Parker

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Just remember,
If you are going to store your stuff away for awhile that it needs to be climate controlled.
If you are just going to move them all to a shed or even the garage you might as well sell them now.

CadillacPat

#24 imatt88

imatt88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Full Name:Ian Matthews

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Rick,

Yup, been there as well. I sold all my stuff in '94 after my first divorce, HUGE mistake.

After this divorce, I just moved my stuff to a buddys house, and waited until the funk was gone, and dove back in.

Never again will I make that mistake :)

HTH,

Cheers, ian

#25 Stang88

Stang88

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Braune

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

I agree with everyone else, we are just trying to give you sound advice from learning the hard way. I have modelled for 30 years, a few years ago I got bit by the golfing bug, sold all my kits and airbrushes, compressor, tools, etc to afford golf, I swore I would never go back then 2 years ago I experienced a medical condition and could not golf any more, went crazy at home and now getting back into it but had to spend so much money to replace everything I need which I use to have, should of packed it all away in storage. So I learned the hard way as well as others here, again just trying to save you money. I believe this is a hobby that is in a persons blood, you might leave it but it is never really gone, just take a break and pack things away, I think some day you will come back to it.

#26 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Full Name:Ian White

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Ok , I'll throw my 2 cents in here as well , I have had to shelve all hobbies at various times due to various reasons (work , non hobby friendly partners , lack of time , (now ex) wife wanting to destroy anything I enjoyed , frustration with one model or full sized car etc) but have always only reduced the collection to the core elements and packed them away for a while . Frustration eases , situations change , you get more time , whatever . Life is in constant evolution so it doesn't matter where you are and how much time you can get for your hobby , or how much something pisses you off , it's good to have it on standby to get back to when you can . I have owned the mini my username comes from (1963 Morris Sports 850) since 1992 , it will be the last mini item I will EVER sell and it's always been the core of my collection . Even at the darkest of my marriage , when mini was a forbidden thought let alone anything to spend time on (my ex wife suffered severe post natal depression and an anxiety disorder that she blamed entirely on me , it's always struck me as odd that they say one person suffers from depression or mental illness , yes the person diagnosed suffers but everyone around them suffers too) I knew it was downstairs and safe and I knew I would get the time to get back to it one day . Now I have a fantastic girlfriend who doesn't care what I spend my time on and understands my passion for mini's (her brother has 7 GPZ1100 Kawasaki road bikes so she understands obsession) . Whatever is going on in your life that is burning you out from this hobby will probably pass and 12 months , 2 years , 5 years from now you'll get the itch again and have to start again from scratch . There are countless people in the mini community who have told me they wished they had kept their special cars or other parts of their collections when they sold them for whatever reason that seemed final at the time .

Hmmm , I'm drifting off course a bit here now ... WhatI would say is , box everything up and put it in the garage/spare room/parents place/mates place/wherever so it's out of sight and you aren't tripping over it daily and leave it there for 6 months or a year , see if in that time you want to sit down and build something or want to fidle with something . If there is no interest after 12 months or so then have a think about it again and see if you really want to sell up and try something else . Just don't do something you might regret later .

#27 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

just cant get into it anymore would rather work on my real toys. or am i in just a in low spot

Every spring I get in the same spot; warmer weather comes along and I do more stuff outside with my 1:1 toys and my family. Every fall/early winter gets me back into plastic again. I've been building for over 30 years, and my occasional breaks probably add up to 3-4 years altogether.

That being said, I will echo the sentiment from the previous posts: don't sell it off, just pack it away for the proverbial rainy....or snowy....day.

#28 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

I've been in and out of the hobby for over 50 years but, always managed to hang on to a few models (not always my best ones). I always gave it up when it seemed to me no one cared about my models, so why waste my time? Once I found a support group at the local hobby store I was back to point of no return. We get together monthly with our common interest. A month is too long so this forum seems to fill my need. If I get tired of building or just want to take a break I get on here and see what others are doing. Don't give up, it will pass, hang in there. This is my life blood.