What is for you, the best Diorama measurments ?

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barbo

Barbo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:05 AM

Hi.....The most important thing for me in planning a diorama is the final measurments . I have to decide if it will be a local event Diorama or a traveling Diorama. This limits my imagination in some of my projects. ..........What is for you , the best diorama measurments ?.....Barbo

#2 Mike Whatshisname

Mike Whatshisname

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

Barbo,
I usually try to use as little space as possible to tell the whole story. So size will vary depending on what i am building. I also do not build more than 2ft by 2ft as this is usually the limit in most contests. I don't travel on planes (as i know you do) with my dios so that is not a consideration. Just out of curiosity, do you know the dimensions limits of a carry-on size box that you could take on a plane? Mike

#3 dptydawg

dptydawg

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

Like Mike, most of my dios are sized to fit the story. Since I tend to build dios based on larger models like truansports, firetrucks and construction machinery, my dios tend to be fairly large.
I sugested that a contest size limit up here be changed from a 2'X2' limit to a 4 square foot limit to allow for us truck modelers to enter dioramas. And they agreed. I tend to push that limit as close as I can.
The other limit on dioramas is the amount of space available to display it once its finished.
Thanks
Carl

#4 Barbo

Barbo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:35 AM

Hi....Mike Whatshisname....I do my dioramas around 18" x 24" a few 24" x 24" . The dimension limts of a carry on piece is about 24'' x 14 '' x 10'' aprox. There is a metal frame at the the counter of the airlines with the specifications of a carry on piece. If it fits inside the metal frame it can travel as a carry on. What I do is , build a foamboard box and put in a carry on bag. I am doing the Simpson house model for a diorama , it will be made in parts like a puzzle , and put together any where with velcro , and I will carry it in a metal suitecase of 20'' x 6'' x 18 ''. ...Barbo

#5 Paul Payne

Paul Payne

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:07 AM

I would say portability is important. If you are transporting it to a show, it can't weigh a ton unless you bring a crew to help move it.

#6 Barbo

Barbo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi...Paul Payne....thats true. I do all my diorama bases of foamoard, less weight and better to handle.............Barbo.