WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod
Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:13 AM
To answer the questions about the rod ends for pivots, that was something I figured out on my Blackbeard Camaro PM. I had always just glued my doors open in the past, but I really wanted to do working doors on that car. Between the brass pivots glued into the chassis, and those rod ends mounted in that styrene block inside the doors, they are so strong, they will never fail.
I actually ended up having this set too far back on the door, but at the time I didn't understand all the placement requirements and how it would effect things. And my brass pins are actually a little too short, and the doors can come off really easily on that car.
Now when I did the ones on this Mustang, originally I wanted to use brass tube for the door part to slide over the brass pivot wires. But it just wasn't working. So I went back and used the rod ends again But this time I used two per wire to help spread out the load. When I has just one on there, like on the 1/24 scale Camaro, it let the door sag too much as it opened. So I did two per hinge and it worked out perfect. It spread the load out, and the doors swing straight and true now. Now I just need to box in the inner door, and work on the door latch mechanism.
Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:41 AM
Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:43 PM
Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:02 AM
Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:06 AM
Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:43 AM
Haven't got to work on this one as much as I'd like to lately.....but I have gotten a few new things done.
While I was painting parts for other projects, I decided to get some paint on a few things for this car. Both the Lenco and the MW rear end are from TDR, shot with Alcad. I usually mix my own to get the color I'm after. The Lenco also has a few RB Motion bolts added. Lots more to do on it.
The four link plates were custom machined by a good friend. He did a fantastic job, and I can't thank him enough! Probably not too hard to figure that guy out.... The end bells were ones I machined before for my Daytona. Once I got those all together, I soldered up the lower wheelie bar and added RB rod ends to it.
I've also finally got the front strut towers on. Now I need to add the lower link mounts and my chassis will be pretty much done.
Back to work!
Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:14 AM
Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:34 AM
Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:38 AM
Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:13 AM
Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:36 AM
Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:39 PM
Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:15 AM
2X ( A GREAT BUILD )
i don't believe it gets any better than this, clay. i look at your builds and just stare in awe!!!!!!!!!!!! just phenomenal craftsmanship!!!
Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:37 AM
One big thing left I had to work on was the front suspension mounts and upper strut mounts. I had drawn all this out ahead of time so that helped. I tried to use as much brass as I could. For looks and for strength. I think everything up here is pretty well done.
All through the interior I've added all the tabs for interior panels, fire bottle mounts, air bottle mounts, door strap loops, you name it. There is a tab for it! I've also added the rear puke tank tubes, sway bar mounts, as well as body supprt pads.
Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:44 AM