#401 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:15 AM

Clay... what can I say other than that parachute mount is a work of art. Beautiful work on it. I am curuous if you made a jig to solder it. I know when I did one of my body structure mounts for my funny car that I had trouble soldering the whole think and it all fell apart cause the heat let go of other joints. I fixed it but ended up supergluing one of the support joints. I learned from it and will approached it different next time...lol that set up just looks killer.

#402 ClayK

ClayK

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Full Name:Clay Kemp

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

Well, to be honest, I winged it. Let's just say I burnt my fingers a lot! You learn what your pain threshhold is when you are trying to hang on until the joint cools enough to let go.

I was able to tack the main rectangles to the lower support bace then slightly bend them to get the right angle. Then once I had a few more supports on, I went back and retouched the joints that I had bent so they were strong again. It was like juggling worms trying to hold the car, the brass, and solder it at the same time. But once you get a few in place, it gets easier.

#403 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Clay... sometimes winging it is the best way isn't it...lol oh yeab do i trmember trying to hold on to parts long enough for thr solder to cool. That set up.turned out amazing.

#404 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

your dedication to pushing the envelope on accurate detailing, is just simply impressive clay!!!!!!!  i love watching you create these automotive works of art.  keep after it buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!

#405 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

OK back to the soldering and having to hold stuff while soldering. This has really been bugging me until I thought of a possible solution. How would a tin can of fine sand work to hold your pieces while soldering? It would hold the pieces without burning your fingertips and diffuse the heat from remelting other areas already soldered if these areas were embedded in the sand. I've not soldering anything so intricate but it sure seems like it would work.

#406 Unatural

Unatural

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

Excellent work!