Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Star Olympic Class ships- Post 'em if you've got 'em.

I know of a couple RMS Titanics posted here already, anybody else have a Titanic built they want to show off? Or did you convert a Titanic kit into the Olympic or Britannic?

I'd post mine, but so far all I've done is open the box. It's a small-scale (1:1200) Revell kit. I might do it box-stock as the Titanic, but I'm really considering building it as the HMHS Britannic (third and final of the Olympic sisters) as it appeared in service as a hospital ship, or as the Olympic, when it was in service as a troop transport, decked out in dazzle paint.

3-vi.jpg

I have a Titanic in my "to do" pile of kits, a much bigger kit (1/350, from Minicraft, basically four times the size of that Revell kit). It has PE parts and is very detailed. I'm almost afraid to start on it, it's HUGE and has about a bazillion tiny parts. Some day... :D

Don't have a Titanic but how about a Titanic lifeboat?

I built this several years ago. It's completely from scratch. The boat itself is plaster, started with a big slug and carved it in to shape. The cover is sheet styrene, as are the davits, pulleys etc.

Base is I think some sort of laminent.

Not sure what scale it would be, the boat is about 71/2 inches long.

Questions, comments, welcome..

Steve

100_0304.jpg

100_0307.jpg

100_0309.jpg

100_0310.jpg

That is cool! Hard to believe it started out as a big blob of plaster. B)

7 and a half inches... wow... now imagine how huge a Titanic model would be scaled accordingly with lifeboats that size.

Thanks, this was a fun project. Yea that would be the ultimate Titanic model at this scale, I'll be finishing it up in oh, say 10 years or so..

That's cool! B)

What did you use as a reference?

I have several Titanic books with original photos from the shipyard to fitting out and even some of the lifeboats in NY after the disaster.

Thanks

Steve

Very nicely done , definitely leaves you wanting to see more of the ship it comes from . As far as I'm concerned , a builder has really hit the mark with a diorama or vignett (or however you spell that thing) when you look at it and can visualise the rest of the ship/building/scene spreading out from the piece like I can with this one .

How did you bend the styrene to shape so it looks so realistic as canvas , heat or some other method ?

How did you bend the styrene to shape so it looks so realistic as canvas , heat or some other method ?

Thanks Ian, I didn't actually bend the plastic, it is just a seperate peice along the side with curves cut in to it to make it look stretched. Then sanded smooth to blend with the cover peice.

Yep the railing hopefully keeps the kids from playing underneath Shane. Thanks for your comments.

Steve

You do realize that the Olympic and Titanic had differences. The Titanic was heavier. Also, the promanade decks between the two were different. If you want to model the Brittanic, your biggest problem is going to be the new lifeboat davits. Furthermore, if my memory is still good, the lifeboats were motorized. At least some of them were. I would really check some references. I'm just going off of memory, here.

RYAN.

You do realize that the Olympic and Titanic had differences. The Titanic was heavier. Also, the promanade decks between the two were different. If you want to model the Brittanic, your biggest problem is going to be the new lifeboat davits. Furthermore, if my memory is still good, the lifeboats were motorized. At least some of them were. I would really check some references. I'm just going off of memory, here.

RYAN.

Not to get to far off topic, but have you ever watched the Titanic/Olimpic therory? I think you can watch it on youtube....pretty interesting.

I have a Titanic in my "to do" pile of kits, a much bigger kit (1/350, from Minicraft, basically four times the size of that Revell kit). It has PE parts and is very detailed. I'm almost afraid to start on it, it's HUGE and has about a bazillion tiny parts. Some day... :D

Harry, if you can handle Pocher kits, that kit will be no problem for you. Don't think it's anymore difficult because it's a ship kit. It's a model kit, no different than anything else you've done in the past.

of2grc.jpg

2i4406.jpg

Everything on this model was brush painted... If I can get these types of results, any semi-talented builder can too. Take your time, be patient and feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

The next Olympic Class I build will be the Britannic. I have a 1/350 Minicraft Titanic that's missing a few parts that will be perfect for this conversion.

100 years today.

Wow, that's a thought isn't it?

G

Sure is G, my son brought another titanic book home from school. Very interesting fact book. 882 facts to be exact. It cost a little over 7 million to build, about 128 in today's rate. That's about HALF what it cost to make the movie in the 90s,,, I'm really hoping I can take him to see it in 3D before its out of the theater.

RYAN.

Yes- heavier in tonnage, but the same dimensions. The differences between Titanic and Britannic would consist of the promenade deck (as you mentioned) and of course more lifeboats. The davits on Britannic were unique to it- I'm still figuring out a way to duplicate those. The Britannic was 2 feet wider as well, but on this scale that wouldn't be noticable.

Not to get to far off topic, but have you ever watched the Titanic/Olimpic therory? I think you can watch it on youtube....pretty interesting.

A bit unrelated, but part of the Titanic/Olympic history- the newsreel footage you've seen of the Titanic's departure from Southampton? It is actually footage of the Olympic. If you look, you'll see that the names of the tugboats have been scratched off on the film, and the name of the ship is never visible in the footage.

I can't say I'm suprized, but has anyone heard of the people hearing about the anniversary and saying "you mean the boat from the movie? It was real?" and its not just the youngins that are saying this. Kinda makes you wonder.

...and on a side note, did you know you can buy a Haynes manual for the Titanic ???

Edited by moparmagiclives

Harry, if you can handle Pocher kits, that kit will be no problem for you. Don't think it's anymore difficult because it's a ship kit. It's a model kit, no different than anything else you've done in the past.

of2grc.jpg

2i4406.jpg

Everything on this model was brush painted... If I can get these types of results, any semi-talented builder can too. Take your time, be patient and feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

The next Olympic Class I build will be the Britannic. I have a 1/350 Minicraft Titanic that's missing a few parts that will be perfect for this conversion.

Looks great! I see you used the PE railings (does the kit give you the option to use either plastic railings or PE ones? I'll have to check the box, I seem to remember that it gives you the choice).